Michael Crabtree vs. Dez Bryant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Crabtree vs. Dez Bryant

Who do you guys have as the better prospect?

I think both had similar questions about speed, both have great hands, similar size for both, and were/are legit top 10 picks.

Props to clover_jeez!

Based on game footage and projecting him to the NFL? Bryant. That's an easy call for me too, I was saying that in the run up to last year's draft. The gap isn't a huge one by any means, but I'm absolutely sure I have Bryant rated higher.

If you're factoring in the various concerns about the players, I'm not really sure where I stand. I thought Crabtree was going top be problematic in the NFL and what's more I thought that he would have trouble once teams really started hitting him (so long as the 49ers keep running large wide receiver sets, that's not really something to worry heavily about), but I didn't really have much grounds to assume that he just wouldn't work. I'm not sure I have that evidence for Bryant either, but there's definitely more smoke out there that Bryant cares less than Crabtree, even if he's less insufferable.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
      Based on game footage and projecting him to the NFL? Bryant. That's an easy call for me too, I was saying that in the run up to last year's draft. The gap isn't a huge one by any means, but I'm absolutely sure I have Bryant rated higher.

If you're factoring in the various concerns about the players, I'm not really sure where I stand. I thought Crabtree was going top be problematic in the NFL and what's more I thought that he would have trouble once teams really started hitting him (so long as the 49ers keep running large wide receiver sets, that's not really something to worry heavily about), but I didn't really have much grounds to assume that he just wouldn't work. I'm not sure I have that evidence for Bryant either, but there's definitely more smoke out there that Bryant cares less than Crabtree, even if he's less insufferable.
      Yeah, I meant as players, who's got more talent, who's more of an overachiever, better physical skills, etc.

Both have their fair share of off-field issues.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Ever since he got to SF Crabtree's been a model citizen/worker. I think he's just a very reclusive kid and that's taken the wrong way sometimes. He has his family/close friends and that's all he really cares to hang out with.

If that's as bad as it's gonna get, I'll take it. Kid came in cold turkey in the middle of the year and lit it up. We pretty much had to restructure our whole offense because we finally had a receiving threat.

Comment

I think Bryant is a better prospect. Does just about everything better as a receiver.

He also has a lot more negative character concerns.

Crabtree was/is a loner that alienates people and is perhaps overly confident in his own abilities. That was the knock on him.

Bryant seems to be an immature and somewhat idiotic human with very questionable work habits and questions whether he cares about the game.

Both are outstanding receiving prospects though and character concerns can often vanish with a bit of maturity and the right environment. See Harvin last year, who had more character concerns than these two combined.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Bryant is probably more athletic (probably a little faster) and has more physical talent. Crabtree is probably a slightly better pure receiver in terms of hands, route-running, finding holes in zones, feel-for-the-game, etc.

As an overall prospect, Bryant would probably be "rated" higher in the same class because his skills are on par with Crab, he has a bit more athleticism and explosiveness, and where he's behind Crab (pure receiver stuff) - he can still improve (plus he's not far off right now).

But it's like comparing Brandon Marshall to Roddy White or something. Both are just awesome.
            Last edited by gpngc; 04-09-2010, 01:51 AM.
            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by FrankGore View Post
              Ever since he got to SF Crabtree's been a model citizen/worker. I think he's just a very reclusive kid and that's taken the wrong way sometimes. He has his family/close friends and that's all he really cares to hang out with.

If that's as bad as it's gonna get, I'll take it. Kid came in cold turkey in the middle of the year and lit it up. We pretty much had to restructure our whole offense because we finally had a receiving threat.
              It was kind of scary that he came in midseason (coming off an injury AND the holdout), stepped in a starting role and delivered from the get-go.

Imagine with a whole summer and camp working with his QB and coaches?

Sucks to be a Seahawks fan sometimes.
              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

I mean I was pretty hopeful for Crabs, but when I heard he pretty much won the starting job the moment he started practicing, I figured his talent had to be even greater than I projected. He's just such a good overall athlete - strong, great body control, strong hands, great coordination.

I think Bryant is a more explosive receiver who can help you hit the big play more frequently. Also a little bigger than Crabs and he has some kick return value too. Overall I guess you could call him a more impressive prospect on the field, but you factor in the concerns about him, it levels the playing field between the two again.

Flip a coin...I feel there are less question marks for Crabs as a long-term NFL pro though.

Comment

Ive been a huge advocate of Bryant's on here, and this is no change. As a football player, I have him head and shoulders above Crabtree. I cant really think of anything Crabs does better then him, except Crabs may run a little better routes and had less lapses in concentration. That said, if Im taking a WR in the top 10, I would absolutely prefer Bryant to Crabtree, even with the character issues surrounding Bryant. And for some reason I feel I should point out DHB has no business being drafted higher then either of these guys.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I'm in the vast minority that had Crabs over Bryant but then again I've always been a huge Crabs homer so I'm biased.
                    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                      It was kind of scary that he came in midseason (coming off an injury AND the holdout), stepped in a starting role and delivered from the get-go.

Imagine with a whole summer and camp working with his QB and coaches?

Sucks to be a Seahawks fan sometimes.
                      A year later: Would you prefer to have Aaron Curry or Michael Crabtree?

Yeah...:(

Comment

Originally posted by Calubflower View Post
                        A year later: Would you prefer to have Aaron Curry or Michael Crabtree?

Yeah...:(
                        Lawlz. Never agreed with that pick when the Seahawks made it.
                        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Seriously...the NFL IS A PASSING LEAGUE. This is old news. And we take a linebacker over the best receiver in the draft? When Hasselbeck is throwing to.....who? Deion Branch? Oh, what's that? A rookie tight end led the team in receiving the year before?

*DOES NOT COMPUTE.*

*fizzles and sparks.*

*keels over.*
                          Last edited by Caulibflower; 04-09-2010, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Bryant's bigger so I'd take him. Both are beasts.

Comment

Bryant>Crabtree

A.J. Green > Bryant> Crabtree

On a serious note, Crabtree isn't as athletic as Bryant although I think some people underrated Michael's athleticism. Bryant's ability to stretch the field using not only good game speed and physicality widely surpasses Crabtree.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information