"Bad character" busts and "bad character" successes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bad character" busts and "bad character" successes

Piggybacking off the workout warrior question we know many players have character issues. But some because of talent are still picked high. Then those with similar issues slide in the draft.

The busts imho are Jamarcus Russell (bad work ethics), Lawrence Phillips (beating up his GF) and Pac Man Jones.

The successes are future HOFers or current Randy Moss, Dan Marino, Warren Sapp.

What others can you name?

Also, on a sidenote, were there character issues with Michael Vick and Big Ben prior to their drafts?

to my knowledge there weren't any problems in character for Big Ben and Seņor Mexico...

Big Ben's scout report (by Scott)

Strengths: Has everything you look for in a franchise signal caller physically...Great arm...Quick Release...Very accurate...Ideal size...Is more athletic than given credit for...Can make all the throws...Can throw on the run...A true field general.

Weaknesses: You really can't question the level of competition in the Mid-American conference anymore...Must work on reading defenses...Won't beat you with his feet...Has been known to telegraph his throws by staring down his intended target.

Notes: Comes from the same conference that has produced Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich recently...Could very well be the #1 overall pick of the 2004 NFL Draft...Elite prospect and franchise quarterback.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
      to my knowledge there weren't any problems in character for Big Ben and Seņor Mexico...

Big Ben's scout report (by Scott)

Strengths: Has everything you look for in a franchise signal caller physically...Great arm...Quick Release...Very accurate...Ideal size...Is more athletic than given credit for...Can make all the throws...Can throw on the run...A true field general.

Weaknesses: You really can't question the level of competition in the Mid-American conference anymore...Must work on reading defenses...Won't beat you with his feet...Has been known to telegraph his throws by staring down his intended target.

Notes: Comes from the same conference that has produced Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich recently...Could very well be the #1 overall pick of the 2004 NFL Draft...Elite prospect and franchise quarterback.
      That's pretty dead on by Scott. If only he had talked about Big Ben's love of Girls Gone Wild it would have been perfect. LOL

Comment

If I am a GM, which I could be, :) the most fearful character concern to me is work ethic. If you aren't 100% buying in to the system then you don't deserve to play. I don't care if you slam bitches in the club with bottles of Ciroc, I'd be more concerned with a lazy useless entitled bastard. People that are useslee, lazy and poor work ethic are more apt to be the guy in the club slamming bitches with bottles of Ciroc.
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by NJCagefighter View Post
          Piggybacking off the workout warrior question we know many players have character issues. But some because of talent are still picked high. Then those with similar issues slide in the draft.

The busts imho are Jamarcus Russell (bad work ethics), Lawrence Phillips (beating up his GF) and Pac Man Jones.

Also, on a sidenote, were there character issues with Michael Vick and Big Ben prior to their drafts?

Though more recent, DeSean Jackson and Percy Harvin are good successes.

Chris Henry had issues off the field before being drafted and those continued (he was my #1 WR of that draft, argued with Creek hours upon hours there).

Follow Me on Twitter!
          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Well, Brandon Marshall fell to the 4th primarily because of character red flags; he's obviously had his issues in the NFL but you could certainly call him a success on the field. Brandon Meriweather had some issues (I remember the fight on the field where he kicked a guy, but not sure what else if anything). Darnell Dockett could be another.

Comment

I am young, and wasn't around for Marino... what were his character concerns?

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
                I am young, and wasn't around for Marino... what were his character concerns?
                There were rumors that he was a pothead. God, I wish I was as young as you not to remember this kind of stuff. lol

Comment

Old Skool character concern guys coming out of college; Charles Haley and Lawrence Taylor of the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                    Though more recent, DeSean Jackson and Percy Harvin are good successes.

Chris Henry had issues off the field before being drafted and those continued (he was my #1 WR of that draft, argued with Creek hours upon hours there).
                    I'd be interested to hear why you thought Chris Henry was the better prospect than Braylon Edwards.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                      Old Skool character concern guys coming out of college; Charles Haley and Lawrence Taylor of the top of my head.
                      Lawrence Taylor is crazy man's a coke head with like 10 kids, one of which went to my school, he's actually a DT for Purdue now, Brandon Taylor /random comment

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

People thought Josh Morgan was a bad apple coming out of Va Tech. That was nonsense.

Crabtree was supposed to be a bad guy but he's been nothing but a workaholic and model citizen since he was drafted.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by NJCagefighter View Post

Marino and Sapp were weed related which nowadays probably gets you a gold star. Ray Lewis would be one that stands out as someone that turned things to the postive.

Players going back to the days of Billy Cannon roughing up people in downtown Baton Rouge and Joe Willie getting ####faced the night before games have a long history of getting into crap.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                            I'd be interested to hear why you thought Chris Henry was the better prospect than Braylon Edwards.
                            I believe it has something to do with his allegiance to a certain state school of Ohio.

Originally posted by snuff
                            Yeah, good joke. Awesome.

Comment

Would you really call Moss a success. Yes he's a Hall of Fame WR, and while the Vikings got a nice ROI from the pick, he had a lot of off-the-field issues and ultimately the Vikings shipped him out of town because of those issues.

Marino and Sapp: definitely.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information