X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting Database/Program

I have finally finished the project I was working on from this thread:
    http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41126

Sorry to any of the three guys who were testing it -- I went ahead and created test databases with 220 prospects apiece and tested out every aspect of the program. I think it should work perfectly, lol. I've made so many copies and tweaks I thought I'd never be satisfied.

What is it?

What I've created is a database program in Microsoft Access that can store all your prospects, run reports on them, and even export that data into other mediums like Excel, Word, and HTML.

I'd go into a long post about how exactly it all works but I decided instead to create an entire web site dedicated to the project (free from Google) to condense space here and to find a place to host the files. This way I don't have to e-mail it to everyone who wants to use it. Plus uploading updated files will be a breeze.

http://sites.google.com/site/scoutingdatabase/

This site details every nook and cranny of the program with photos of everything. All the pictures can be clicked and maximized. I even created a FAQ section to hopefully answer any questions you might have. If you do have any questions just e-mail me at the address provided on the download page, PM me, or whatever.

Oh yeah, it's all FREE. Enjoy.
    Scouting Database

Good work man. I am too lazy to utilize this, but I know lots of people on this site will enjoy this.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

This is really, really cool. I'm sure it will be useful to a lot of people.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Looks great

This looks great Say When. Great way to keep notes organized, I can't wait to get home and start transferring my notes from paper to this. Way more than I ever expected when I started the other thread!

Comment

Originally posted by SalsaShark View Post
          This looks great Say When. Great way to keep notes organized, I can't wait to get home and start transferring my notes from paper to this. Way more than I ever expected when I started the other thread!
          I've updated the files to a new version. If you e-mail me or PM me, I can walk you through the steps of updating your data to the new version. Unless you're fine with the way it's working for you.

From now on I'll just put announcements like that on an updates page on the site.
          Scouting Database

Comment

This is awesome, i'm trying to get familiar with it and it seems a very helpful tool.

But i have a problem.

I don get it...

Twitter @mario_clp

Comment

Looks great, sadly, I don't have Microsoft Access. Hopefully, the laptop I'm getting through my college will have it on there.

sig by BK and avy by me
              Originally posted by A Perfect Score
              If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
                This is awesome, i'm trying to get familiar with it and it seems a very helpful tool.

But i have a problem.

I don get it...
                Hmmmm. I can't re-create that issue on my end. On mine it cuts off the zero and makes it a flat 4.5.

If you previously read this, it is wrong. By deleting the table and appending the data you'd sever the relationships between the tables. If you send it to me I can combine them and send it back to you.

If you haven't uploaded many or any prospects you can start over with a new version.

I just noticed your bars are in Spanish and you're in Spain. If you think it might be an issue with some sort of translation from English to Spanish or a US vs. International version as far as Access is concerned, I'll go ahead and send you a new one without the validation rules for some of the fields, if you'd like.
                Last edited by Say When; 05-28-2010, 01:58 PM.
                Scouting Database

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                  thread stickied.

any reason you went with access instead of a better db backend (which i'm only asking out of technical curiosity, not to imply an attack on the choice)?
                  It's the only programming class I've taken besides Visual Basic. This is actually the first database I've ever created (by myself). I just finished my Access/SQL class the beginning of May.

I think my code is okay... some things when I look back on it seem redundant and I could clean up some syntax but overall I learned a lot by doing this project. I wish I knew other languages where I could create a stand-alone program so that everyone could use it, but I don't and I never made a multi-form program in my VB class.

As I get further along in my schooling I'll start dabbling in Oracle, SQL Server, etc. I believe. But right now on my plate for the fall is Java, hardware and software repair, and then ASP.NET in the spring.
                  Last edited by Say When; 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM.
                  Scouting Database

Comment

Great job, man. Props.

Sadly, I don't have Access, but I'll be downloading the 60-day trial and work out this beauty.

I do have the basic version of Office 2007 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) though, is there anyway I could download Access legally for free?

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                      Great job, man. Props.

Sadly, I don't have Access, but I'll be downloading the 60-day trial and work out this beauty.

I do have the basic version of Office 2007 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) though, is there anyway I could download Access legally for free?
                      Not that I know of. If you're in school or you know any students at a college they can usually get software for pretty cheap from the university or by logging into Microsoft's student portal. I don't know the legality of that though.

That was the biggest drawback of going with Access is that it isn't accessible to everyone. Now that it seems a few more people are interested I hope everything works smoothly. I was the only person that tested it and in the business world that's not really ideal.

Thanks for the praises but I really feel like I've gotten something out of this project too. I've already used this program and the website in an application for a job as an entry-level Access/SQL programmer.
                      Scouting Database

Comment

I'd love to use it and promote it, but can't seem to find/use Access on my Mac.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Does not work on mine either.

Thanks to Bonekrusher for the sweet sig.

NY Giants Super Bowl XLII Champs!

Comment

Yes Access is not an ideal platform since not a lot of people have it.

I'm not saying I can do it because a project like this would be way out of the scope of the class that I took. But I'm going to look into trying to reproduce this as a stand alone program using Visual Basic and SQL Server as the back-end database. Since I already have an idea of the way it could/should look it would make recreating it that way a lot easier. It will take a while and as long as my wife doesn't cry too much about me spending too much time working on this, I should be able to produce something.
                            Scouting Database

Comment

I hope you do. I so want to get my hands on this.

Oh, I managed to get Access. Let's get this rolling!
                              Last edited by RealityCheck; 06-06-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information