Robert Quinn vs. Julius Peppers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Quinn vs. Julius Peppers

I was having a discussion with a friend who goes to UNC today and he said that Robert Quinn could be even better in his final year at NC than famous NC alum Julius Peppers?

How much do you guys believe this? Will Quinn be an even more elite prospect than Peppers was in 2002?

The short answer is no. Quinn is likely going to be looked at like Gaines Adams was in 2007; a edge rusher with good enough size to either play defensive end in most 43 defenses and enough athleticism to play outside linebacker in most 34 defenses. What Quinn brings is a great ability to get around the edge and really good functional strength for his size. What Peppers brought was essentially 34 outside linebacker athleticism in a 43 defensive tackles body.

Quinn could wind up being about as good a prospect as his type of player can be, but he's not a Peppers/Mario Williams.

Comment

I agree with the Gaines Adams type view on Quinn, but I think he (from an initial standpoint) Quinn is a better player than Adams. I don't think Adams was as natural a pass rusher as Quinn is and Quinn's technique is a lot better than Adams'.

In terms of the Peppers comparison, it's not going to happen. He may be picked just as high, but Peppers was a once in a 10-15 year talent. Mario Williams just happen to come around 6 years later, lol.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        Quinn could wind up being about as good a prospect as his type of player can be, but he's not a Peppers/Mario Williams.
        The question was not whether or not Quinn would be as good a pro prospect as Peppers. That answer is obviously no, as Peppers is one of the best DE prospects of the past decade. The question was whether he could exceed what Peppers did in his final season in Chapel Hill.

I actually think he can. Quinn's numbers last season exceeded Peppers numbers as a Junior. With another year of experience under his belt, he should only get better. And with very good talent around him on the line, he shouldn't be double-teamed too much. I think he actually might get close to or possibly even exceed the numbers Peppers put up his Sophomore season (64 tackles, 15 sacks).

Originally posted by SolidGold
        Bortlezzzzzzz
        Originally posted by Monomach
        Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
          The question was whether he could exceed what Peppers did in his final season in Chapel Hill.
          Originally posted by Morton
          Will Quinn be an even more elite prospect than Peppers was in 2002?
          Come again?

Comment

i think adams/orakpo woud be a much better comparison
            E]

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
              I was having a discussion with a friend who goes to UNC today and he said that Robert Quinn could be even better in his final year at NC than famous NC alum Julius Peppers?

How much do you guys believe this? Will Quinn be an even more elite prospect than Peppers was in 2002?

I dont think so. Julius peppers is a gifted gifted athlete. Youre talking about a legit 6 7 285 4.6 40 guy. They dont build them like that very often. Robert quinn is nowhere near that gifted. And his tape is very average from what ive seen. The question you should ask your friend if you really wanted info is things like does he do drugs or go to the clubs all the time etc.

Comment

ive never seen quinn stand up.

Comment

Do they still have the "players" club down there?

Comment

The more tape I watch on Robert Quinn the more I come away unimpressed, at least in terms of him being a top 5 pick. He does have speed off the edge, no doubt, but he certainly is lacking in physicality and his technique needs work. I understand he's only coming off his sophomore year but there are some definite concerns with him.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                      I agree with the Gaines Adams type view on Quinn, but I think he (from an initial standpoint) Quinn is a better player than Adams. I don't think Adams was as natural a pass rusher as Quinn is and Quinn's technique is a lot better than Adams'.

In terms of the Peppers comparison, it's not going to happen. He may be picked just as high, but Peppers was a once in a 10-15 year talent. Mario Williams just happen to come around 6 years later, lol.
                      I'd certainly hope so..

Gaines is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                        I'd certainly hope so..

Gaines is dead.
                        I'm guessing he was referring to Adams in terms of a prospect, not professional...the majority of comparisons made are the players as prospects not how they turn out as pros

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                          The more tape I watch on Robert Quinn the more I come away unimpressed, at least in terms of him being a top 5 pick. He does have speed off the edge, no doubt, but he certainly is lacking in physicality and his technique needs work. I understand he's only coming off his sophomore year but there are some definite concerns with him.
                          For risk of sounding like a typical rival fan, I've tried to refrain from busting on the Quinn manlove around here. I totally agree with you though. In terms of how I think they'll succeed at the next level, I'd rate the UNC defenders in the following order:

1. Deunta Williams
                          2. Quan Sturdivant
                          3. Robert Quinn
                          4. Bruce Carter
                          5. Kendrick Burney
                          6. Marvin Austin
                          7. Charles Brown

I'd say the first 3 have pro-bowl potential. The rest are solid starters or rotational type players. That said, I could see Quinn going anywhere from Top 15 selection to a Greg Hardy type freefall.

Originally posted by Morgan Freeman
                          Titty sprinkles

Comment

He won't drop as far as Hardy or a guy like Selvie. Worst case scenario is a Quentin Groves situation probably.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information