Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT's

    This is a very weak OT class especially when you compare it to the last two classes. There seems to be large contrast in views about who are the top guys are and where there value lies. At this point, how do you rank the OT's in this draft class.

  • #2
    Here's my top ten tackles....

    1. Jason Pinkston :: Pittsburgh
    2. Anthony Castonzo :: Boston College
    3. Joseph Barksdale :: Louisiana State
    4. Matt Reynolds :: BYU*
    5. Gabe Carimi :: Wisconsin
    6. Nate Potter :: Boise State*
    7. Marcus Cannon :: TCU
    8. Nate Solder :: Colorado
    9. Lee Ziemba :: Auburn
    10. Jah Reid :: UCF

    Carimi is #1 on several lists but he doesn't bring anything special, just a real solid player. Also, this class is full of some real good right tackle prospects.
    Last edited by princefielder28; 06-20-2010, 04:48 PM.


    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

    Comment


    • #3
      This is an extremely weak tackle class. The only guy that I would be completely comfortable with taking in the top 15 is Joseph Barksdale and that is only if he is able to prove he can play on the blind side.

      The class is mostly filled with players who are too light and would get tossed around like ragdolls and strictly right tackles.

      Players that are too light:
      Anthony Castonzo, Lee Ziemba, Nate Potter, Nate Solder

      Players that are right tackles or even offensive guards:
      Gabe Carimi, Jason Pinkston, Matt Reynolds, Marcus Cannon

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        This is an extremely weak tackle class. The only guy that I would be completely comfortable with taking in the top 15 is Joseph Barksdale and that is only if he is able to prove he can play on the blind side.

        The class is mostly filled with players who are too light and would get tossed around like ragdolls and strictly right tackles.

        Players that are too light:
        Anthony Castonzo, Lee Ziemba, Nate Potter, Nate Solder

        Players that are right tackles or even offensive guards:
        Gabe Carimi, Jason Pinkston, Matt Reynolds, Marcus Cannon
        Isn't he like 6'8" 320? Thats too light how??

        How is Pinkston strictly a RT? He's like 6'5" 305 and has really good feet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Duffman57 View Post
          Isn't he like 6'8" 320? Thats too light how??

          How is Pinkston strictly a RT? He's like 6'5" 305 and has really good feet.
          I've seen him as 6'8" and 305/310, that is far too light for someone who is 6'8".

          And Pinkston does have good feet, but that doesn't mean that he can play LT.

          http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ittsburgh.html
          However, the biggest concern I have with him at this stage is his overall range as I donít think heís a good enough athlete to reach speed off the edge at the next level. Heís consistently forced to open up his hips/shoulders toward the outside and push the pass rusher past the pocket on their outside speed rush if they get on top of him quickly.

          Comment


          • #6
            as an auburn fan i can tell you that he carries his weight great, he has an amazing frame. the problem with his game is all mental. like false starts and ****. he's definitely a mauler and would be the ideal right tackle. he sometimes has a slow first step an gets beat outside. hes poised to have a sick senior year and raise his stock but i dont think he'll be a left tackle in the nfl. come draft time i think his stock will be around what gosder cherilus was at from BC.


            RIP, Sean Taylor.

            Comment


            • #7
              IMO, Pinkston is one of the more overrated players in the draft from an initial standpoint. His athleticism is way overrated while I really don't think he is that great of a pass protector.

              My #1 is Anthony Castonzo as of now...I need to see more of Matt Reynolds, but I think his game is a little underrated at the moment. He shows flashes of lateral ability, but it's not enough at the moment, but I think he'll improve throughout the season.

              I think Castonzo is head and shoulders above the rest and has the potential to be a Top 10 pick. Obviously he needs to bulk up tremendously because 295-300 just isn't cutting it, but he has great technique, elite experience and pretty good footwork. He held his own for the most part against Robert Quinn last season and I think if he can put on a decent showing this season, then a team will fall in love with him pretty quickly.

              If anyone wants a sleeper, I'm really starting to like DeMarcus Love from Arkansas. Dude is an athlete and shows a lot of potential. Right now, he's probably going to end up in my 10-13 (Offensive Tackle wise) range when I rank my first Top 100 players in September, but he's definitely someone to watch.

              My Top 5 OTs would probably go something like this:

              1. Castonzo
              2. Reynolds
              3. Carimi
              4. Barksdale
              5. Potter

              I think Barksdale has the most potential to jump up to #1, he's pretty comparable to Trent Williams. I think Carimi stays in the 2-3 range while I doubt Reynolds even declares, though I could be wrong.
              Last edited by JFLO; 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM.

              BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

              Comment


              • #8
                JFLO, what do you see in Carimi that suggests he's a better prospect than Barksdale or even Pinkston, who I feel you're really hating on???

                and what happened to your love for Matt Reynolds??? i thought he was a top 10 prospect for you not too long ago
                Last edited by princefielder28; 06-20-2010, 07:06 PM.


                Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                  If anyone wants a sleeper, I'm really starting to like DeMarcus Love from Arkansas. Dude is an athlete and shows a lot of potential. Right now, he's probably going to end up in my 10-13 (Offensive Tackle wise) range when I rank my first Top 100 players in September, but he's definitely someone to watch.
                  Hmm...interesting. I might have to hit the SEC Digital Network tonight and watch him along with some more Mallett.


                  I have two sleepers and in this class, I really believe it could be a sleeper who emerges as the top guy.

                  First off Tyron Smith from USC. He is Lil' D'Brick. He came in as a top flight recruit and is an incredible athlete. He has long arms, excellent feet and is a very talented pass protector. But like a young D'Brickashaw, he is definitely on the light side at about 285 and will struggle to anchor at times. He has a frame that could definitely add more weight and I expect his coaches at USC and the NFL will help him put on the necessary weight. If he can continue to improve and become more well rounded, it would not surprise me to see him emerge as the top OT prospect.

                  The other guy is Orlando Franklin from The U. Obviously a bit of a homer pick but if he can develop like some think he can, he is definitely a guy to keep an eye on. 2009 will be his first season at LT after starting 2.5 years at LG. Franklin came in at about 6'7 340 and was a massive mauling guard. But he has lost weight and is down to about 315 and is much more athletic and has really good feet. He is already a beast in the run game. Last season when Jason Fox was out against USF, Orlando Franklin did a great job at LT going against JPP and Selvie. He'll most likely be a RT prospect but he has the power and physical talent that he may bring some upside that many of the OT's in this class are lacking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                    JFLO, what do you see in Carimi that suggests he's a better prospect than Barksdale or even Pinkston, who I feel you're really hating on???

                    and what happened to your love for Matt Reynolds??? i thought he was a top 10 prospect for you not too long ago
                    I just need to see more of Reynolds. I've been getting my Anthony Castonzo fix on lately and the more I watch him, the more I feel like he'll be a Top 10 pick if he can put up a solid season for the Eagles.

                    Carimi is far and away more polished than Barksdale and 3x-5x the run blocker that Barksdale is or may ever be. Barksdale struggles to get to the second level consistently and has too many mental lapses and I think his athleticism and lateral ability are overrated as well. He can lock on to the less athletic pass rushers, but if someone has a good first step and knows how to turn the corner, than Barksdale is toast.

                    Believe me PF, if Barksdale can prove to be somewhat the same force and still improve his game on the left side, then he'll probably be my #1 guy, but for now, he still has too much left off the board for me to rank him that high.

                    In my total rankings, Castonzo is somewhere in the 12-16 range while Reynolds is in the 17-20 range and Carimi is right in the mix as well. I think this OT class is just a tad better than some people are perceiving but the talent is lacking in some aspects. The depth definitely isn't there as it has been in the last two seasons, but there is still some substance.

                    On the Pinkston facet, I just don't see it. His athleticism is being waaay overhyped. I see him more as a RT or guard at the next level.
                    Last edited by JFLO; 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM.

                    BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Let me ask you something PF...

                      Since Jason Pinkston is your #1 tackle for 2011, do you honestly believe that he is a franchise caliber blindside guy? Obviously, we're still in the beginning phases of the process, but to be ranked your #1 guy, he has to be a franchise caliber or the closest to a franchise caliber tackle in your mind.

                      What makes him that kind of player to you? I'll give it to you that he is a good run blocker and his initial quickness is great, but I don't see the lateral ability to keep up with faster edge rushers or the strength to hold his own against the likes of a Justin Tuck or a Mario Williams?

                      Honestly, to me, he looks like a left guard at the next level. Whose to say he is all of 6'4", he could be 6'3"...the way he pass protects, at least in my opinion, he looks like a guard at the next level.

                      BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                        I just need to see more of Reynolds. I've been getting my Anthony Castonzo fix on lately and the more I watch him, the more I feel like he'll be a Top 10 pick if he can put up a solid season for the Eagles.

                        Carimi is far and away more polished than Barksdale and 3x-5x the run blocker that Barksdale is or may ever be. Barksdale struggles to get to the second level consistently and has too many mental lapses and I think his athleticism and lateral ability are overrated as well. He can lock on to the less athletic pass rushers, but if someone has a good first step and knows how to turn the corner, than Barksdale is toast.

                        Believe me PF, if Barksdale can prove to be somewhat the same force and still improve his game on the left side, then he'll probably be my #1 guy, but for now, he still has too much left off the board for me to rank him that high.

                        In my total rankings, Castonzo is somewhere in the 12-16 range while Reynolds is in the 17-20 range and Carimi is right in the mix as well. I think this OT class is just a tad better than some people are perceiving but the talent is lacking in some aspects. The depth definitely isn't there as it has been in the last two seasons, but there is still some substance.

                        On the Pinkston facet, I just don't see it. I don't like his initial quickness and his athleticism is being waaay overhyped. I see him more as a RT or guard at the next level.
                        You have Carimi graded as a first rounder? I see nothing special in him, I see a good starting RT and thats it, maybe late round 2 early round 3 for me on him, he is average.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                          You have Carimi graded as a first rounder? I see nothing special in him, I see a good starting RT and thats it, maybe late round 2 early round 3 for me on him, he is average.
                          Let's hold off on the first round grade...just because he is in the 17-25 range on my board doesn't mean he is a first round talent. We are still in the initial process of this whole thing and to be graded out as a first round talent in June takes a lot of talent. To be honest with you, I think Castonzo and maye Reynolds are the only 1st round talents, as of now.

                          I would say that I would grade 13-15 players in the 1st round as of now.

                          Carimi has all the potential to be a 1st round player though and I don't understand the flak you have on him. Tremendous run blocker, consistently developing pass protector with great footwork for a guy who is 6'7" - 6'8" 320 pounds. IMO, he is the best run blocking tackle in the draft right now.

                          BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                            Let me ask you something PF...

                            Since Jason Pinkston is your #1 tackle for 2011, do you honestly believe that he is a franchise caliber blindside guy? Obviously, we're still in the beginning phases of the process, but to be ranked your #1 guy, he has to be a franchise caliber or the closest to a franchise caliber tackle in your mind.
                            As of right now, do any OT's in this draft fit that description?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                              As of right now, do any OT's in this draft fit that description?
                              That's a tough question for me to answer at least.

                              I think my Top four guys have the potential to eclipse that mark but it's going to take more work for Carimi, Reynolds and Barksdale. Castonzo has the most potential. If he can get his weight up to at least 315 at some point throughout his NFL career while still maintaining that athleticism and footwork, then yes, he can be a franchise LT. People don't realize that Castonzo has near elite technique and already has elite experience and freakish long arms. His lateral ability is pretty good as well.

                              Castonzo is the closest to getting that label as of this point. Will he get it? I'm not sure...I hope so.

                              BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information