No announcement yet.

What's a Good Ryan Mallett Comparison?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a Good Ryan Mallett Comparison?

I can't really find any. Have there been many guys with his height/weight/arm strength ratio that were not complete bust? I can't seem to think of one person he favorably compares to at all.

Is he the first of his kind, or is there somebody I'm missing you guys can compare him to?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

It's tough to find one guy. If I had to compare him to somebody, it would be like a mix of Bledsoe and Flacco.

Comment

I see a blend of Flacco and Rivers but thats just me.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
        I see a blend of Flacco and Rivers but thats just me.
        I can see Rivers from a physical/leadership standpoint but his arm can't touch Mallett's

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
          I can see Rivers from a physical/leadership standpoint but his arm can't touch Mallett's
          No doubt about that. Thats where Joe flacco comes in but I don't even think his arm touches Mallet's.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
            No doubt about that. Thats where Joe flacco comes in but I don't even think his arm touches Mallet's.
            I agree with you there. As far as playing styles, Mallett actually reminds me a lot of Tom Brady but obviously Mallett is quite a bit bigger and has a much stronger arm.

Comment

Mallett's wind up and release is basically exactly the same as JaMarcus Russell's, Mallet just manages to be a little more consistent with his mechanics.

If Mallett succeeds, he's going to be a bit of a unique player physically, that's for sure. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because no one with his tools has had major success in the NFL yet, that means his chances are worse. Too much of the quarterback position is mental for physical comparisons to mean much past a certain point.

Comment

jamarcus russell

/thread
                E]

Comment

But with slightly quicker feet.

Comment

a more athletic testaverde

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

But with slightly quicker feet.
                      He is a Bledsoe clone. Prototypical size, cannon of an arm, and pretty much everything else you look for in a franchise QB from a measurables/skillset standpoint besides mobility. Mallet is a better athlete probably but it is an understatement to say neither are going to beat you with their feet.

Comment

He's JaMarcus Russell without some of the athleticism but with a work ethic.

Bledsoe didn't struggle with accuracy like Mallett does at times.

edit: Please bare in mind, I'm not being negative when I compare him to Russell. While Russell was an abomination in the pros, it wasn't because of his talent. It was because of his lack of a work ethic or any care at all for anyone, which I think Mallett does have.

Russell was ungodly talented. A once every 5 or so year talent (maybe more quite frankly)
                        Last edited by descendency; 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM.
                        **** her in da *****!

Comment

It's not a flattering comparison anymore, but he is very similar to JaMarcus Russell (the prospect).
                          The size, the rocket arm, the surprising feet, the deep ropes, his eyes always looking downfield etc..
                          This isn't a bad comparison. Russell was the best QB prospect I've ever seen. Laziness is what killed his career. He was as talented as they come. Mallett is extremely similar to him in terms of size and skillset. I'm expecting good things from him.

Comment

Dan McGwire to the true draftniks.

Comment

I don't buy any comparison for Mallett. He's not JaMarcus, he's not Bledsoe, he's Ryan Mallett.

He's more accurate, more confident, and more consistent than JaMarcus with a completely different personality. Right now his attitude is compared often to Phillip Rivers, a fiery competitor who may rub some the wrong way. Still, as evidenced late in the season, Mallett came in and took the reins eventually assuming a strong leadership role. In this, his second year with this batch of receivers/OL, he should be able to make strides in his communication and hopefully in his touch on short-intermediate passes.

Unless he falls apart this season, I'd say based on physical ability and innate Quarterback skills he's probably the best prospect I've watched. Obviously he's not the best college QB I've ever seen but he's a tremendous player with so much room to grow as a player/person. His footwork was a bit inconsistent last year due to fairly dramatic weight loss (roughly 265 to 235-240) and hopefully his foot injury this offseason won't slow his development too much there. He does some things you love to see: he's a very clutch player who'll make big time throws in big game situations, he runs the two-minute drill extremely well, he's a very strong figure in the huddle, and considering his arm strength he's an unbelievable decision-maker in the redzone. The type of player that could save an NFL franchise. Jake Locker is a great prospect in his own right, but to say Ryan Mallett is rare would be a drastic understatement.

Once in awhile you have to go out on a limb and that's exactly what I'm doing with Mallett, who I've watched extensively. He'll need to improve in a few areas but based on his potential and his progress in the SEC last season, it's not a stretch for me to say that he could be my top rated prospect of this decade.... We shall see, regardless I'm not crazy about any comparisons because I truly believe he can fit balls into windows down the field like no QB we've ever seen come from the college level.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                              - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                              www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information