Who to Watch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to Watch

This is kinda like a sleeper thread but since we're not even close to the season starting, i just wanted to make a list of guys who you think will break out and make names for themselves this upcoming year and be hot commodities come draft time so i can watch out for them durring the season. I'm sure i'll update mine later but off the top of my head, here are some guys that i like.

Da'Rel Scott RB, Maryland
    Christian Ballard, DE/DT, Iowa
    Robert Sands, S, WVU
    Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn (Project but could be amazing)
    DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss (Some people still have him as a 3 or 4th round pick for some reason.)
    Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
    Malcolm Williams, WR, Texas (TOish athleticism, but has a bit of the drops. If he can cure that, then he could be a 1st rounder)
    DeMarcus Love OT, Arkansas
    Stephen Paea, DE/DT, Oregon St (Same as Brown. People will say he's too short for the 3-4 and whatnot, i dont care, IMO he'd be just fine in the DE spot there. The man is a monster)
    Christian Ballard DE/DT, Iowa (Perfect 3-4 DE candidate. Kinda reminds me of Odrick a year ago.)
    Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St. (Freak athlete, his production is starting to match that athleticism)
    Kenny Rowe, OLB, U Oregon (Homer? Yes, but this dude can flat out play, even though he's undersized. As my coach would say, this kid's a gamer.)
    Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois (Another athletic freak with tons of upside. Leader mentality)
    Nate Irving, ILB, NC State (His injury will bring him down a bit, but he's an awesome player and an even better leader.)
    Javes Lewis CB, Oregon(Another homer pick. But perfect Zone CB, and great ball skills)
    Chykie Brown CB, Texas (he's the F'ing Nickelback for Texas, but he is worth a mid round pick. Perfect nickel with crazy measurables. It doesn't help him that the two people in front of him is a mid 1st and a 1st/2nd round prospect respectively.)

And of course

Lawon Scott, NT/KR, Ole Miss (I mean who cant love a 330 lb NT who doubles as a KR man? lol)

(Ok, maybe that wasn't exactly off the top of my head, but its just the guys i like/remember scanning through WF/draft scouts' rankings, who i think can be good.)
    Last edited by Duffman57; 07-04-2010, 02:58 AM.

Originally posted by Duffman57 View Post
    This is kinda like a sleeper thread but since we're not even close to the season starting, i just wanted to make a list of guys who you think will break out and make names for themselves this upcoming year and be hot commodities come draft time so i can watch out for them durring the season. I'm sure i'll update mine later but off the top of my head, here are some guys that i like.

Da'Rel Scott RB, Maryland
    Christian Ballard, DE/DT, Iowa
    Robert Sands, S, WVU
    Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn (Project but could be amazing)
    DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss (Some people still have him as a 3 or 4th round pick for some reason.)
    Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
    Malcolm Williams, WR, Texas (TOish athleticism, but has a bit of the drops. If he can cure that, then he could be a 1st rounder)
    DeMarcus Love OT, Arkansas
    Stephen Paea, DE/DT, Oregon St (Same as Brown. People will say he's too short for the 3-4 and whatnot, i dont care, IMO he'd be just fine in the DE spot there. The man is a monster)
    Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St. (Freak athlete, his production is starting to match that athleticism)
    Kenny Rowe, OLB, U Oregon (Homer? Yes, but this dude can flat out play, even though he's undersized. As my coach would say, this kid's a gamer.)
    Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois (Another athletic freak with tons of upside. Leader mentality)
    Nate Irving, ILB, NC State (His injury will bring him down a bit, but he's an awesome player and an even better leader.)
    Javes Lewis CB, Oregon(Another homer pick. But perfect Zone CB, and great ball skills)
    Chykie Brown CB, Texas (he's the F'ing Nickelback for Texas, but he is worth a mid round pick. Perfect nickel with crazy measurables. It doesn't help him that the two people in front of him is a mid 1st and a 1st/2nd round prospect respectively.)

And of course

Lawon Scott, NT/KR, Ole Miss (I mean who cant love a 330 lb NT who doubles as a KR man? lol)

(Ok, maybe that wasn't exactly off the top of my head, but its just the guys i like/remember scanning through WF/draft scouts' rankings, who i think can be good.)
    Cameron newton is an intersting player. He actually has to be the man there first i dont remember him being the man there.

Stephen pea isnt a sleeper he is a first rd pick on most boards.

Malcolm williams is a known commodity. Definitely one to watch.

Said this before and i'll say it again. the texas defensive backfield was swiss cheese I wouldnt put any of them on my team. They benefitted from an elite pass rush, when they had to cover it was bad news.

Comment

DeMarcus Love will probably be one of my Top 10 OTs at the beginning of the collegiate season. Underrated athlete with light feet and solid technique and actually pretty good lateral ability.

I think most people, including myself, have DeAndre Brown as a possible 3rd/4th round selection because of his lack of overall elite athleticism (at least 1st round type athleticism) and the leg issue, which will most likely slow him down (speed wise) for the rest of his football career.

In terms of the Oregon guys, I like Rowe the most. Little bit of a tweener, but the versatility that he offers is pretty intriguing. I don't think he'll have his hand in the dirt at the next level unless he can start pushing 250-260 range. He could be a decent role player guy in a 3-4 defense though. I think Javes Lewis has a lot left to develop before I consider him a 1st round talent. I realize that's not what your getting at in the thread, but the games that I've watched him in, he seems like he's always one step behind.

Casey Matthews is a guy to watch as well and OT Bo Thran.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

for me the most intriguing player / possible mover to watch at each position

QB - Ricky Stanzi
        RB - Donald Buckram
        WR - Vincent Brown
        TE - DJ Williams
        OT - Jah Reid
        OG/C - Zach Hurd
        DE - Craig Marshall
        DT - Drake Nevis
        OLB - Lawrence Wilson
        ILB - Mario Harvey
        CB - Jalil Brown
        S - Brian Lainhart

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
          for me the most intriguing player / possible mover to watch at each position

QB - Ricky Stanzi
          RB - Donald Buckram
          WR - Vincent Brown
          TE - DJ Williams
          OT - Jah Reid
          OG/C - Zach Hurd
          DE - Craig Marshall
          DT - Drake Nevis
          OLB - Lawrence Wilson
          ILB - Mario Harvey
          CB - Jalil Brown
          S - Brian Lainhart
          Other than leading the nation in rushing for a good part of last year, i really know next to nothing about Buckram. He seems like he could be an interesting playre though

Brown is a guy i like. Could be a great slot type candidate.

I dont know much about Williams, but he seems like he could be a great H back.

I've liked Nevis for a bit, but do you think he can play DE in the 3-4?

And as for brown. From what i've heard, he's a 6'6" 230 lb receiver who can run a high 4.4 or low 4.5 and has a pretty good vertical. I think thats pretty good athleticism, but i haven't really seen him play much. Just wondering, why did he go to Southern Miss in the first place when he had offers from schools like LSU, Auburn and Florida?

Comment

Originally posted by bce View Post
            Said this before and i'll say it again. the texas defensive backfield was swiss cheese I wouldnt put any of them on my team. They benefitted from an elite pass rush, when they had to cover it was bad news.
            I disagree.

Aaron Williams is likely a top 15 pick. It looked like teams avoided throwing to Williams side last season and he still got 3 int's. last season. Williams is very physical, athletic and has plus size (6'1 192) for a CB.

I wouldn't be surprised if Curtis Brown is a 1st round pick. Brown is a athletic Freak. I think Curtis Brown is Texas best coverage CB. Brown also has good size (6'0 180) for a CB. He can hit pretty good too.

Both Williams and Brown are very LEGIT (imo).

Chykie Brown looks like a 2nd or 3rd round pick to me at this point. Brown is listed at 6'0 187 and has long arms. He does need to work on some things, but Chykie is pretty talented as well.

I'm not trying to knock you personally. You have a right to an opinion. You may not want them on your team, but I think NFL GM's next draft may disagree and all 3 Texas CB's could end up getting drafted pretty high next draft.

We will see. There is A LOT of time between now and next draft. Who knows...
            Last edited by Texas Homer; 07-04-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

My sleeper team:

QB - Nathan Enderle, Idaho
              RB - Derrick Locke, Kentucky
              WR - Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
              WR - Dwayne Harris, East Carolina
              TE - Jeffrey Anderson, UAB
              OT - Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State
              OT - Johnny Culbreath, South Carolina State
              OG - Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah
              OG - Andrew Jackson, Fresno State
              C - Brad Serini, Florida International

DE - Christian Anthony, Grambling
              DE - Ricky Elmore, Arizona
              DT - Martin Parker, Richmond
              DT - Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas
              OLB - Mario Addison, Troy
              OLB - Winston Venable, Boise State
              ILB - Alex DiMichele, Robert Morris
              CB - Cortez Allen, The Citadel
              CB - Julian Posey, Ohio
              S - Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple
              S - Mark LeGree, Appalachian State

Jernigan, Harris, Anthony and Jarrett are the most intriguing ones.

Comment

QB - Greg McElroy -- Alabama
                RB - Armando Allen -- Notre Dame
                WR - Titus Young -- Boise State
                TE - Konrad Reuland -- Stanford
                OT - DeMarcus Love -- Arkansas
                IL - Ben Ijalana -- Villanova

DE - Jake Laptad -- Kansas
                DT - Ladi Ajiboye -- South Carolina
                OLB - Bani Gbadyu -- Penn State
                ILB - Casey Matthews -- Oregon
                CB - Justin Rogers -- Richmond
                S - Jeremy Kellem -- Middle Tennessee State

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                  QB - Greg McElroy -- Alabama
                  can the QB of the national champs really be seen as a sleeper?

Also, since I really only follow one team closely, watch Cyrus Gray this season.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

McElroy isn't considered as a top consensus Top 5 quarterback in this class, so yea, I still think you can consider him someone to watch. I currently have him in the 8-10 range in my rankings.

I would say as long as your not a Pre-Season Top 5-7 player at your position, then you can be a "Player to Watch" haha

Comment

2 of auburns linebackers, both seniors.

craig stevens 6'3 230 - SLB. does everything well, every down linebacker, goood tackler and great in coverage.

josh bynes 6'2 245 MLB. i compare him to a taller london fletcher, just always there to make the tackle and plays every down.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

Comment

Not sure how many people have watched a full game of Robert Sands compared to his highlight tape but he's made a lot of questionable decisions from what I've seen. Aside from McDaniel and Moore (and Williams depending on who you ask) this safety class is relatively weak where a guy like Sands (measurables + combine) could sneak up the rankings. His game play doesn't impress me as much as his potential.

That said, definitely someone to watch. I'm keeping my eye on his decision making. Likes to make that big hit instead of the smart play and interception instead of the logical knockdown. It could cost him.

Comment

How is Kendall Hunter's draft stock looking? He was injured for a large part of last season but when the guy's on the field he's an incredible runner and receiver. Gil Brant had him ranked ninth in his list of senior RBs, that just seems too low to me (Demarco Murray #1, overrated IMO). What are y'alls thoughts on him?

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandRaider56 View Post
                              How is Kendall Hunter's draft stock looking? He was injured for a large part of last season but when the guy's on the field he's an incredible runner and receiver. Gil Brant had him ranked ninth in his list of senior RBs, that just seems too low to me (Demarco Murray #1, overrated IMO). What are y'alls thoughts on him?
                              He looked good two years ago, but between looking very soft this year, and the ankle injury last year (i think thats what it was IIRC, but it might not have been) his stock took quite a huge hit.

Its all gonna depend on how he performs this year and how he looks. If he looks soft and doesn't cut well, then his stock isn't lookin too good, but if he can rebound and look good like his So. year, then he could very well be lookin at a pick in the range of the 3rd round. Its gonna be hard for him since there are so many backs like him in this draft (Quizz, Demps, Williams, Devine etc).

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information