Prospect of the Day: DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio State

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect of the Day: DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio State

To see previously discussed prospects, click here.

DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State
    6'6 - 287 lbs. - Senior

The guy is a beast. I think he can be a great DT or 3-4 DE, definitely has the skill set IMO. Kinda reminds me of Richard Seymour.

How does he rate vs. last year's top DTs though?
    Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 07-17-2010, 03:30 PM.

Props to clover_jeez!

He's not a DT. He plays inside on passing downs, but he's primarily a DE.

Also, he's ridiculous.

Comment

Heyward is a monster. He's one of the best 3-4 DE prospects in years. Though I could easily see a 4-3 team drafting him to play the 3-technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
        He's not a DT. He plays inside on passing downs, but he's primarily a DE.

Also, he's ridiculous.

You know katie perry has a spray on tan in that video. i saw her on american idol. white as casper.

Comment

Maybe you should enlighten us on some prospects we dont know about. yes cameron heyward is a great prospect. Everyone knows.

Comment

He's a 5-tech all the way as far as I'm concerned. That said, a lot of teams are going to be looking for a 5-tech next year and he's good enough to go top 10.

It's hard to measure him against this past crop of DT's, because Heyward doesn't profile as an interior 3 or 2-tech.

Comment

Its pretty easy to measure him against them. Hes better. And hes still not really worth a top 10 pick.

Why doesnt he profile for the 4-3? If you can play interior line in the nfl you are not scheme specific.

This idea that "he can only play the 5 technique" its pegging. hes certainly physically able to play dt in the 4-3. Just because hes not sedrick ellis body build doesnt mean he cant play in the 4-3 on the interior. Is his best position in the 3-4? maybe but if hes a great player he can play in both. Great prospects and high draft picks shouldnt be "scheme specific", because if you change your scheme then its a waste pick. I dont see cameron heyward as scheme specific. hes versatile. Thats why hes valuable, because he works in any defense.

Comment

Can he slide inside and play as a 3 technique in the 4-3? Yea, he could, but I wouldn't.

If I was going to draft him and I'm running the 4-3, I'd play him at left end and move him inside in obvious passing situations. He's a fantastic player against the run and he's very athletic for a guy his size and is more capable of playing at the power end spot giving a team substantial size and power against the run.

Personally, I think his skillset is more suited for the 3-4 and he's far and away the best in the class for that role. He's a better prospect than Tyson Jackson, who went 3rd overall in his draft. Heyward is more than qualified to be taken in the top 10.

Comment

Heyward is just a bit too beefy to be, say, a Justin Tuck type of player in that role. Thus why it may be hard for him to find an exact fit.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                  https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Im not disagreeing that the 3-4 may suit his talents better, but if hes really a great prospect, and i think he is, he'll be able to succeed in either situation.

Im going to disagree on playing a pass rushing position. You need a pass rusher on both ends of your line, and hes a little too heavy footed for my taste, i dont see a double digit per year sack player, so im not picking him high to play off the edge.

Again it comes back to just because a guy (tyson jackson or otherwise) was picked #3 doesnt mean he should have been and doesnt mean cameron heyward should because hes a better prospect than said player. Its a question of position value and interior lineman are low on the totem pole. Dont get me wrong i love heyward but positional value has top come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by bce View Post
                      Maybe you should enlighten us on some prospects we dont know about. yes cameron heyward is a great prospect. Everyone knows.
                      read some of the posts from the other "Prospect of the Day" thread, he said he was going to start with Scott Wright's Top 12 for 2011.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Maybe he should change his strategy and enlighten us rather than repeat whats everyones already choking on for the past year.

Comment

Sounds bad because I'm graduating from The Ohio State University next spring, but I'm not as big on Heyward as most people from a strict Draft Prospect perspective. I think his technique needs more work than most people think and he's not the pass rusher that most are making him out to be either, at least at the next level I mean. I think most people are overrating his transition at the next level.

He definitely has the size and potential to be a special player at the next level, but right now it just seems like a lot of potential than anything else. The defensive line, today more than anytime it seems like, seems to be the hardest spot for a lot of rookies to make a smooth transition. It's not like wide receiver, linebacker or running back. That is another reason why I fear for Heyward's potential. Granted, it sounds like I'm predicting a boom or bust type deal for his first year or two, but I think he'll take time to develop in the NFL regardless.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Draft him no earlier than late 1st, bulk him up about 25# and let him use his athleticism inside in a 4-3.

Right now he's a strongside end in a 43 or a 34 DE. I haven't seen him play enough, but I don't get that vibe that Heyward can be a quality player in the pros like I did with Will Smith when he came out of OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                              Draft him no earlier than late 1st, bulk him up about 25# and let him use his athleticism inside in a 4-3.

Right now he's a strongside end in a 43 or a 34 DE. I haven't seen him play enough, but I don't get that vibe that Heyward can be a quality player in the pros like I did with Will Smith when he came out of OSU.
                              This post pretty clearly demonstrates that you haven't seen him play enough. Cam will be a top 15 pick and will most likely go in the top 10. He is one of the best 3-4 DE prospects in years and has an elite skill-set for the position. His game is nothing like Will Smith's. Smith was a 6'3 270 pure 4-3 DE and Heyward is a 6'5 290 DE/DT. Other than the fact that they are both Buckeye DE's, they really don't have very much else in common.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information