No announcement yet.

Prospect of the Day: DL Allen Bailey, Miami

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the Justin Tuck comparisons. Thats the role I ultimately see him playing. If, like many have said, he develops his pass rush skills to the point where can can play LE in a 4-3, I can see him being a stout run defender who is good for 8 sacks a season and can slip inside on passing downs to an interior positions.

Regardless of where he ultimately ends up, I think hes going to be a beast.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
      That happens to be highlights of the worst game Miami played last year(defensively)
      I watched the bowl game vs. Wisconsin after cutting that clip, and it told pretty much the same story: Bailey's a big, strong d-lineman who can walk back guards and tackles. However, he lacks the explosiveness necessary to run around OTs, and he often struggles to disengage in time to get to the QB.

Personally, I see him as more of a 4-3 DT/3-4 DE. I understand the Tuck comparisons, but Bailey is a guy who'll have to move inside on passing downs, whereas Tuck can be a potent pass-rushing threat both inside and outside.

Comment

im infatuated with him....its ******* crazy to see a DE/DT that could probably play some limited LB. im thinking he could play all over a 43 or 34 line or stand up like brian orakpo and play OLB. he doesnt have the speed to be a full time edge rusher but he can do alot of things and be an asset on the field regardless of what hes asked to do.
        E]

Comment

Honestly, I am not a Bailey fan. He's an impressive athlete and he's got natural ability to be sure, but I just don't think he's that good of a NFL prospect to be honest. He made some plays in that highlight reel, but when you are blocking a 288 pound DE/DT 'tweener with a TE on some run plays he is inevitably going to make some stops versus the run.

I recently watched him against Wisconsin and he had serious issues against their offensive line, especially versus the run. Heck, Garrett Graham AND Lance Kendricks both managed to block him 1 on 1 and keep him blocked well enough to not effect run plays at all. That is extremely alarming, because as a potential 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE prospect he should toss those guys aside and make a play in the backfield, yet he just stayed blocked. I think he probably needs to improve his hand usage to help improve his ability to disengage, because if he doesn't work on that he is going to have such a minimal impact when he gets to the NFL people are going to think he is a bust. He won't get away with what he seems to have been getting away with in college by just being bigger and stronger than the guy trying to block him (which was definitely the case in this Wake Forest highlight video in my opinion). It will be interesting to see how he does this season, but I really think he has issues versus the run when an able blocker is matched up with him.

Comment

I agree with Mr. Offseason.

I just dont see it with Bailey right now, as much as i really wanna see it. Id like to see a guy as amazingly versatile and athletic as him become a player because itd be so fun to watch a defense utilize him. but from the video shown there and what little else i saw of him last season (and it really wasnt too much) i just dont see it. maybe he comes around this year, but hes got an awful long ways to come to be a legit player.

he can bull rush well and push a guy back but his hand use to dissengage is poor at best as pointed out before and i didnt see him have any other moves. hes also very slow off the snap, especially on those stunts, and his pursuit of skinner when he scrambled was unenthusiastic at best. He just doesnt look to have it. against the run he seems a little more interested but i just dont see this player blowing up plays making things happen regularly.

hes pretty athletic with a freaky build but if he doesnt show huge strides this season he'll be just a project for rex ryan or someone.
            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

I absolutely want this guy on the Lions. Team him up with Suh and you have two guys who could be moved around anywhere on the line and exploit matchups, put them outside on run downs, inside on pass downs, or whatever it takes to give the opposing OC and line coach massive headaches. I have the feeling that as long as he shows proper development and production in this upcoming season, his versatility will appeal greatly to Jim Schwartz.

Comment

A few people already stole my line, but I just wanted to say that if that's his highlight reel I'd hate to see his lowlights. He was the last person off the line at the snap on every single play. I'm no talent evaluator, but he doesn't look like he has crazy athleticism at all. He looks like someone with a DTs strength but strange build. How about just asking him to gain 25 pounds and just stick him at NT in a 4-3.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                  A few people already stole my line, but I just wanted to say that if that's his highlight reel I'd hate to see his lowlights. He was the last person off the line at the snap on every single play. I'm no talent evaluator, but he doesn't look like he has crazy athleticism at all. He looks like someone with a DTs strength but strange build. How about just asking him to gain 25 pounds and just stick him at NT in a 4-3.
                  NT would be the worst fit for him in the 4-3. If he improves his technique and learns some pass rushing moves, he can be really dangerous playing UT or DE.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Yeah NT was a bit rash. But I just see absolutely no burst at all. If I hadn't heard so much about him being some sort of athletic freak I wouldn't have thought he was special at all.

Comment

Yeah NT was a bit rash. But I just see absolutely no burst at all. If I hadn't heard so much about him being some sort of athletic freak I wouldn't have thought he was special at all.
                      A lot of people probably agree with you there. He needs to produce this season. But the potential is there which is part of the reason why so many people are in love with him.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                        A lot of people probably agree with you there. He needs to produce this season. But the potential is there which is part of the reason why so many people are in love with him.
                        What's his ceiling in your opinion? I don't see much more than a middle of the road LE in a 4-3 to be honest.

Comment

i think he could be a stud RDE in a 34...he would probably generate a decent pass rush from that spot too.

by no mean is this a comparison of the player, more so a comparison of the role but i think playing RDE in the steelers D in keisels spot he could excel. keisel is a decent pass rusher, not the fastest guy and not incredible against the run but hes pretty relentless and does get some push in the pocket. i think hes way better suited for that role than he is as an end in a 43, and hes a better 34 end today based on potential than evander hood will be tomorrow

i think the chiefs might be a good fit for him too, i heard the chiefs plan on using dorsey in a ratliff-style NT position. bailey, dorsey, jackson....thats a 34 Dline made of raw steel
                          Last edited by K Train; 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM.
                          E]

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                            i think he could be a stud RDE in a 34...he would probably generate a decent pass rush from that spot too.

by no mean is this a comparison of the player, more so a comparison of the role but i think playing RDE in the steelers D in keisels spot he could excel. keisel is a decent pass rusher, not the fastest guy and not incredible against the run but hes pretty relentless and does get some push in the pocket. i think hes way better suited for that role than he is as an end in a 43, and hes a better 34 end today based on potential than evander hood will be tomorrow

i think the chiefs might be a good fit for him too, i heard the chiefs plan on using dorsey in a ratliff-style NT position. bailey, dorsey, jackson....thats a 34 Dline made of raw steel
                            I could see that....another guy like that is Shaun Ellis....Bailey is nowhere near as pro ready as Ellis was as a prospect, but I do think Bailey's best upside is in a role similar to guys like Ellis, Keisel, or Trevor Pryce in a 3-4.

Bailey screams Vernon Gholston...funnily enough Gholston is being groomed as Ellis' replacement...I bet Bailey is called a bust really early on in his career.
                            Last edited by SenorGato; 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

keisel also plays LB from time to time, something i would expect a team to do with bailey
                              E]

Comment

What's his ceiling in your opinion? I don't see much more than a middle of the road LE in a 4-3 to be honest.
                                If he learns some pass rush move (a BIG IF) there is no doubt in my mind that he can become a Pro Bowl caliber player. He is a freak physicaly so he has that going for him.

If he doesn't lean any moves, you're probably right, just a middle of the road type player.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information