Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prospect of the Day: DL Allen Bailey, Miami

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I wouldn't even draft the guy at all until I see some burst off the line.

    He was consistently the last person off the line at Miami. That's a 1 way ticket to failure in the NFL.
    **** her in da *****!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
      It's hard to predict Bailey's position. I think it was BBD that mentioned this, but he's built like a massive linebacker. He's doesn't really have the bulk of a defensive tackle (yet) nor is he really much of an edge rusher, but the athleticism is undoubtedly there. He hasn't performed at a very high level in Miami, but someone will take a flyer on him even if he doesn't pull it all together this season.

      He's the kind of guy who would play middle guard if such a position existed in today's NFL defenses. Not sure I see a 5-tech in Bailey, I see a guy who'll probably be shifted around a 4-man front like Justin Tuck. The question for me is what kind of weight does this guy naturally play at? If he could loose some pounds, it wouldn't be out of the question to try him as 34 OLB, but I'm not sure he could manage to stay that light.
      Why 3-4 OLB, If he can drop that much weight comfortably he could be a dominant ILB in that D. He's certainly got the force to blow up the run and I think he's a better interior pass rusher than edge rusher so he'd be more effective coming on the blitz up the middle. Still I see a 4-3 DT in the mold of Brian Price and Sed Ellis with Bailey. A guy with the athleticism and quicks to be a rushing UT, but with the low CoG and strength to play like a disruptive nose.

      BK

      Originally posted by AcheTen
      JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
      Originally posted by abaddon41_80
      Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
      Originally posted by JBCX
      Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

      Comment


      • #33
        Allen Bailey is an athletic freak for good reason: He's a chiseled 6'4 288, runs a 4.7-4.8 40 and has a vertical of almost 40". He's still adjusting to play as a defensive lineman and prior to this year received very poor coaching from Clint Hurtt (our former DL coach). This year's DL coach is Rick Petri who's much more experienced and I expect Bailey to improve his technique and positional awareness.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-A6SlfWKPo

        In this clip you see his quickness and power off the line. You also see his biggest weaknesses which are his poor hand use in disengaging from his man and his lack of understanding gap control and pursuit angles. Those are things that can easily be fixed with coaching and Bailey is a humble player that's very coachable.

        I view him as a top 20 prospect. His ideal position is as a 3-4 DE but he's also capable of setting the edge as a 4-3 LDE or playing as a penetrating DT. He's not in the same league as Adrian Clayborn (top 3 pick) but Bailey is NFL-ready physically with a good amount of upside. People are complaining about his production but he had 11 TFLs and 7 sacks last year. That's pretty good for a guy that got moved around from DT to DE and back on a defense that rotates their linemen a lot. 7 sacks is better than a lot of other prospects that get hyped up on here.

        To those who are complaining about "a lack of big plays" on his highlight film....Bailey is a solid consistent player. I'll take a guy who's highlights and lowlights are relatively similar rather than a guy who makes a couple plays and then takes a bunch off. NFL coaches want you to play your assignment and Bailey can do that.

        This thread reminds me of the Calais Campbell threads from a couple years ago. "He's only an athlete and he's not as freakish as he's made out to be". "His Senior (lolwut) production wasn't there", etc. Campbell had a pretty decent year for Arizona....no?

        BTW the guy above me has a pretty cool sig.

        sig by BoneKrusher

        Comment


        • #34
          Does anyone see a bit of Luis Castillo in him. Both were athletic freaks (6'3"/6'4" 4.7 40 area) who are good penetrators and great 3-4 DE prospects. The big difference is Castillo's injury problems.

          Comment


          • #35
            Will be a better pro than collegian, IMO. Bailey's athletic ability and power are rare for someone his size.

            Comment


            • #36
              Man I love that strength, but his burst is terrible. Maybe it can be corrected with coaching as it looks like he has good quickness.


              mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball


              Originally posted by scottyboy
              like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by K Train View Post
                i think he could be a stud RDE in a 34...he would probably generate a decent pass rush from that spot too.

                by no mean is this a comparison of the player, more so a comparison of the role but i think playing RDE in the steelers D in keisels spot he could excel. keisel is a decent pass rusher, not the fastest guy and not incredible against the run but hes pretty relentless and does get some push in the pocket. i think hes way better suited for that role than he is as an end in a 43, and hes a better 34 end today based on potential than evander hood will be tomorrow

                i think the chiefs might be a good fit for him too, i heard the chiefs plan on using dorsey in a ratliff-style NT position. bailey, dorsey, jackson....thats a 34 Dline made of raw steel
                I think he has the size and strength to play 3-4 DE, but if he can't shed blocks from TE's then he has a long way to go if he is going to be able to beat 1 on 1 blocks consistently as a 3-4 DE, much less blocks when he is double teamed or combo-blocked.

                He just has a long ways to go in terms of hand usage and block shedding so I just think he is overrated as of now.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by etk View Post
                  Allen Bailey is an athletic freak for good reason: He's a chiseled 6'4 288, runs a 4.7-4.8 40 and has a vertical of almost 40". He's still adjusting to play as a defensive lineman and prior to this year received very poor coaching from Clint Hurtt (our former DL coach). This year's DL coach is Rick Petri who's much more experienced and I expect Bailey to improve his technique and positional awareness.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-A6SlfWKPo

                  In this clip you see his quickness and power off the line. You also see his biggest weaknesses which are his poor hand use in disengaging from his man and his lack of understanding gap control and pursuit angles. Those are things that can easily be fixed with coaching and Bailey is a humble player that's very coachable.

                  I view him as a top 20 prospect. His ideal position is as a 3-4 DE but he's also capable of setting the edge as a 4-3 LDE or playing as a penetrating DT. He's not in the same league as Adrian Clayborn (top 3 pick) but Bailey is NFL-ready physically with a good amount of upside. People are complaining about his production but he had 11 TFLs and 7 sacks last year. That's pretty good for a guy that got moved around from DT to DE and back on a defense that rotates their linemen a lot. 7 sacks is better than a lot of other prospects that get hyped up on here.

                  To those who are complaining about "a lack of big plays" on his highlight film....Bailey is a solid consistent player. I'll take a guy who's highlights and lowlights are relatively similar rather than a guy who makes a couple plays and then takes a bunch off. NFL coaches want you to play your assignment and Bailey can do that.

                  This thread reminds me of the Calais Campbell threads from a couple years ago. "He's only an athlete and he's not as freakish as he's made out to be". "His Senior (lolwut) production wasn't there", etc. Campbell had a pretty decent year for Arizona....no?

                  BTW the guy above me has a pretty cool sig.
                  That what I see him as, a 3-4 DE


                  "O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                  Mike Tirico

                  Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

                  Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun


                  "(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Mr. Offseason View Post
                    I think he has the size and strength to play 3-4 DE, but if he can't shed blocks from TE's then he has a long way to go if he is going to be able to beat 1 on 1 blocks consistently as a 3-4 DE, much less blocks when he is double teamed or combo-blocked.

                    He just has a long ways to go in terms of hand usage and block shedding so I just think he is overrated as of now.
                    Your analysis is on point but you have to remember that the point of the draft isn't to take finished projects. DL coaches would love to get a guy like Bailey who's powerful, athletic and coachable. His lack of technique will keep him from proving himself as a top 10 pick but don't act like he'll never have good hand use just because Clint Hurtt is incapable of teaching it to him.

                    sig by BoneKrusher

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I remember when Calais Campbell fell in the draft bc Miami's terrible coaching was unable to harness his impressive athletic ability.

                      After learning for a year in the NFL, he went on to be a beast his sophomore year, and now is a PB caliber 3-4 End entering this year.

                      Allen Bailey is twice the athlete Campbell was. With good coaching and patience, he can become a good player.

                      A lot of Miami defenders had knocks on them, then went on to be beasts in the NFL. Beason, Campbell, Merriweather, Kenny Phillips will be one if he recovers from his career threatening injury.

                      Even guys who were nobodies in college, like Bruce Johnson are winding up being much better pros than college players. It leads me to believe that Miami is just doing a terrible job of coaching up their talent.

                      All these guys are coming to the NFL and outplaying their draft slot after some good coaching. That can't be coincidence.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

                        Allen Bailey is twice the athlete Campbell was. With good coaching and patience, he can become a good player.
                        Not so fast. Before the combine (where Campbell ran a 5.0 I believe), and really before his senior year, Campbell was viewed as next in line as far as freak defensive end prospects, being compared to Mario Williams and Jamaal Anderson.

                        Let's see how things play out.
                        Virginia Tech.
                        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                        Next Up: 2012

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          when campbell came out he fell because no one could place him...just like no one can place bailey

                          he could have lost 15 pounds and moved to 43DE, he could have gained 20 pounds and been drafted as a 34 NT or stay as he was and play all over a 43 line or 34 DE, he found a home at 34DE with dockett and in 2 years thats gonna be the best 3 man line in the league with dan williams as a disruptive NT.

                          their situations are pretty similar....but i do think bailey is the much more intriguing athlete of the two.
                          E]

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            There is no way in hell Campbell was ever in contention to play NT.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Campbell was never slotted as a potential NT, but he was considered a special athlete prior to his senior year, that part is true.

                              I remember he was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but he wet the bed his senior year and had a bad combine, and fell bc of it.

                              Having that said, Campbell still was not the athlete Bailey is. Campbell was kind of lanky in college, he did a good job filling out his frame in the NFL and it helped make him a stud 3-4 End.

                              I don't know how effective he'd be in a 4-3. He's not quick enough to be an End, and is too long to be a UT, although I think he can still pull off being a UT.

                              Remember Jamal Anderson. The guy has been a complete bust in a 4-3, and he's awfully similar to Campbell. Anderson is built to be a 3-4 End, but he's being wasted in a 4-3 in Atlanta. Campbell would have an Anderson like career in a 4-3.

                              I still haven't figured out where Bailey belongs. My gut tells me 3-4 End right now, but I can't say for sure.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                i remember a few reports about him maybe playing nose, not that i bought into it but i think even scotts said something of the sorts. anyway i agree with the jamaal anderson thing, i was on board with the steelers trading for anderson this past offseason because i think hed be a perfect fit and could maybe resurrect his career in a 34.

                                i think bailey will test off the charts at the combine, something campbell didnt really do...another reason he slid a bit. campbell was considered a huge risk and he fell because of it, i thought anderson was a bigger risk and he went 6th....so who knows where a risky pick like bailey will end up
                                E]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information