Prospect of the Day: OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect of the Day: OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin

To see previously discussed prospects, click here.

OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
    6'7 - 320 lbs. - Senior

No Highlights :(

I think Carimi can become an elite right tackle in the league. Great size, great runblocking. Pass protection is okay, nothing spectacular, and he's not the best athlete. But he's a good player nonetheless. He could wind up on the left side for some teams, but they'd have to be teams with offensive lines that run a lot (Pittsburgh, Dallas, Tennessee, Minnesota).

And this isn't just because he's white, but I think he can be a player similar to David Stewart. An elite right tackle that won't give up that many sacks and will really help a team in the run game.

Props to clover_jeez!

I love the David Stewart comparison and agree 100% that he's best suited to be a right tackle in the NFL. For me that drops him in my rankings a bit, and I have to admit that I've been tough on him as of late but I think that comes more from people feeling that he can be a franchise LT when that's probably not the case.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

yep david stewart...hes near the top in a pretty poor tackle class. i think he'll be a great player for a long time on the right side, or an ok one on the left. hes not a "pure RT prospect" as gosder cherilus or phil loadholt were....but hes clearly better suited over there and would probably be among the elite at the position
      E]

Comment

He's going to be real good and fits the Wisky OLman to a T. I also like Wisky's other tackle, Oglesby(sp?).

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
          He's going to be real good and fits the Wisky OLman to a T. I also like Wisky's other tackle, Oglesby(sp?).
          Yeah, Josh Oglesby, another good tackle.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
            He's going to be real good and fits the Wisky OLman to a T. .
            white guys? lol

jk, but yeah Josh Oglesby is a terrific drive blocker and should make a pretty good RT in his own right, he was a reallllly highly touted HS recruit but has been overshadowed a bit at wisconsin
            E]

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
              white guys? lol

jk, but yeah Josh Oglesby is a terrific drive blocker and should make a pretty good RT in his own right, he was a reallllly highly touted HS recruit but has been overshadowed a bit at wisconsin
              I think Oglesby is pulling the Mike Adams persona and not living up to that potential yet. Oglesby has played well, though. I think he could get A LOT better.

Comment

Someone should post the video of him getting manhandled by Clayborn. That's a good highlight. :)

He's probably better suited for RT in the NFL. Unless he really improves his pass blocking, which is suspect right now vs. any DL that will sniff the NFL. But his run blocking, as with most Wisky OL, is top notch.

Comment

I agree with what you guys have said, I think he belongs on the right side. I think he's solid in pass protection but nothing special, and like most Wisconsin offensive lineman he is good in the run game, but I don't think he is dominant as a run blocker either. He's certainly not on Jake Long's level, but I would say he is a good, effective run blocker, but not much more than that.

I do think that he has value because he can play RT and be a pretty good pass blocker for the position and do some good things in the run game, but he will also have value as a back-up LT in my opinion. I could see him sliding over and doing a solid job at that spot because of injury to the regular starter in my estimation.

Comment

any thoughts on comparing him to last years surprise sensation sebastian vollmer? similar size and ability imo and vollmer is doing ok on the left
                    E]

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                      any thoughts on comparing him to last years surprise sensation sebastian vollmer? similar size and ability imo and vollmer is doing ok on the left
                      Except for Vollmer was a bit of a physical freak. He was just very raw at the position.

Carimi is an okay OT prospect. Probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick right now. He doesn't have the athleticism or pass pro skills to be a top prospect. He's probably better suited on the rightside but he could play the left if need be. He can be a solid starter at the next level but I wouldn't expect him to be anything more.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                        Except for Vollmer was a bit of a physical freak. He was just very raw at the position.

Carimi is an okay OT prospect. Probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick right now. He doesn't have the athleticism or pass pro skills to be a top prospect. He's probably better suited on the rightside but he could play the left if need be. He can be a solid starter at the next level but I wouldn't expect him to be anything more.
                        Just through process of elimination he is most likely a 1st round pick and he has just as much chance to play on the left side as Okung, Bulaga and Williams from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                          Just through process of elimination he is most likely a 1st round pick and he has just as much chance to play on the left side as Okung, Bulaga and Williams from last year.
                          Ummm......no he doesn't. He isn't nearly the athlete that Okung, Bulaga and Williams were and his feet and pass pro aren't near the same level as any of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                            Ummm......no he doesn't. He isn't nearly the athlete that Okung, Bulaga and Williams were and his feet and pass pro aren't near the same level as any of those guys.
                            Agreed. Plus, I don't think that "the process of elimination" is a very effective way to figure out which offensive tackles will go in the 1st round, especially when the season hasn't even started yet. So many things will change, players will emerge and surprise and that could very well mean Carimi will get picked in the 2nd or 3rd round. We will just have to see.

But there is absolutely no guarantee Carimi goes in round 1.

Comment

Overrated? Really? The kid is balanced, strong, athletic, smart and has heart...played that whole 2010 Champs game injured. When it comes to football, I don't think there is a lazy bone in his body. I can hardly wait to watch him play this fall. He'll surprise the straps off all you doubters!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information