Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Brandon Spikes/Shawn Merriman of the 2011 draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the Brandon Spikes/Shawn Merriman of the 2011 draft?

Just to clarify, I'm not asking who is the best linebacker in the 2011 draft. I'm wondering who is the most fiery, passionate, physical, and aggressive linebacker in the draft? The guy that is a vocal leader on the field.

Players that I would put in this category are: Ray Lewis, Brandon Spikes, Shawn Merriman, and Patrick Willis.
    Last edited by RJS113; 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM.

Originally posted by RJS113 View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm not asking who is the best linebacker in the 2011 draft. I'm wondering who is the most fiery, passionate, aggressive linebacker in the draft? The guy that is a vocal leader on the field.

Players that I would put in this category are: Ray Lewis, Brandon Spikes, Shawn Merriman, and Patrick Willis.

Why didn't you just say them instead? It would've saved you an explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
      I wanted to use Brandon Spikes (a 2nd rounder, who many thought should have gone later) as an example to show that I'm not looking for just the top ranked guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RJS113 View Post
        I wanted to use Brandon Spikes (a 2nd rounder, who many thought should have gone later) as an example to show that I'm not looking for just the top ranked guy.
        And Merriman to show its not just ILB?

But anyway, i started this thread a little bit ago (Here), and it never really got off the ground, but two of the names are Mark Herzlich, and Nate Irving (proally the best of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
          Because Patrick Willis doesn't really fit that description.

Comment

when has patrick willis ever been a fiery guy out there? seems pretty quiet to me

Herzlich is the only easy one i can think of
            E]

Comment

Brandon Spikes=DROTY and will be the best player on that D in about 2 years. Belichick loooooves him. He's the second coming of Vrabel.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                Brandon Spikes=DROTY
                I didnt want to sound like a homer and say something like that but he's already got the inside track to the starting ILB job next to Mayo and he is just an animal. Having one of the best camps of all Patriots players, not just rookies. He'll also be asked to pass rush quite a bit so should put up some nice stats

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

i wanted him :-(

him and gibson would have been sickkkkkk picks
                  E]

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                    I didnt want to sound like a homer and say something like that but he's already got the inside track to the starting ILB job next to Mayo and he is just an animal. Having one of the best camps of all Patriots players, not just rookies. He'll also be asked to pass rush quite a bit so should put up some nice stats
                    His pass rushing ability was so underrated coming into the draft. I said plenty of times, you only need to watch the tape against Alabama his junior year, where he throws Andre Smith around like he's a ragdoll. That's why I think he'll eventually settle into a Vrabel-type role. He's versatile enough to be on the field for all three-downs as a sledgehammer runstopper, somebody who can blitz from the inside or outside, and is adept at dropping into short zones, baiting the QB, and making picks (and bringing them back to the house for six).

Dude was banged up all last year, and it showed. He was an unstoppable force his junior year, and was a bigger playmaker than McClain. The Patriots got a better player for a quarter of the price.

Comment

Well, he is (reportedly) a liability in coverage, but I think we all expected that. Other than that I agree with all of this.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                      I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                        Well, he is (reportedly) a liability in coverage, but I think we all expected that. Other than that I agree with all of this.
                        Ive been looking about for a link, I think it was Mike Reiss, that said Spikes' coverage has been really impressive thus far in camp. I know he said he would have had a highlight play in scrimmage against the Saints had it been in a game.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

As long as you keep him out of man-to-man and Tampa-Two-style deep third coverage, and just have him play robber zones and hook-to-curl zones, he'll be more impressive than you'd think. He's very, very good at getting in the passing lane and/or baiting the quarterback into dumb throws underneath.

Granted, he had the benefit of a tremendous pass rush that forced QBs to get rid of the ball quickly at Florida. He's not Derrick Brooks or Brian Urlacher, but he can be effective in underneath zone coverage.

His real strength will show as a pass rusher, though. By the time his third year rolls around, and he's picked up on the nuances of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the 7-10 sack range consistently.

Comment

Ive been looking about for a link, I think it was Mike Reiss, that said Spikes' coverage has been really impressive thus far in camp. I know he said he would have had a highlight play in scrimmage against the Saints had it been in a game.
                            Yeah, I've read that. On the other hand, the guys from Patriots Football Weekly said that Spikes appear to be holding more or less every time he's in coverage Not that it matters all that much, that won't be what BB will ask him to do (much). I think he's a solid option for DROTY.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                            I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

I thought this was gonna be a who was going to fall/who was on steroids question...

I'm sure Maryland will have another physical freak in the next year or two

I'm rooting for Spikes though

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information