Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prospect of the Day: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prospect of the Day: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State

    Okay, so I got a bit behind on these and missed a couple, so I'll put them up right now:

    To see previously discussed prospects, click here.




    QB Christian Ponder, Florida State
    6'3 - 228 lbs. - Senior

    Highlights!


    A notch below Locker and Mallet, IMO, but a good QB nonetheless. Is he injury prone?

    Props to clover_jeez!

  • #2
    In almost every mock I see, they have him going in the late first to the Vikings. My question is what separates a guy like Mark Sanchez, who was a top 10 pick, from Christian Ponder. If Ponder takes another step forward, he will be taken in the top 10-15 by a QB needy team.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the reason Ponder is going late is that the quarterback position looks to be so stacked at the top, with Mallet, Locker, and potentially Luck. In some years, he could be taken top 10, and he could go late first in this class. But I love Ponder, he just does everything well. He isn't flashy, but I see him as top 10-15 quarterback in this league for a long time.

      Bonekrusher.

      Originally posted by JordanTaber
      Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
        In almost every mock I see, they have him going in the late first to the Vikings. My question is what separates a guy like Mark Sanchez, who was a top 10 pick, from Christian Ponder. If Ponder takes another step forward, he will be taken in the top 10-15 by a QB needy team.
        I think the difference so far is after Stafford last year, the next best guy at QB was Sanchez. There was the possibility of Bradford coming out to be the top guy but I'm not sure it ever picked up enough steam. If you were to compare both years; Locker would be Stafford, Ponder would be Sanchez and Andrew Luck would be Bradford(a guy who may come out and throw the whole thing up in the air, but probably will stay in school). The one thing stopping Ponder going higher like Sanchez did is Ryan Mallett. As things stand Ponder needs to have a great year to get up to the top 10 as I don't see all 3 or maybe 4 QBs going that high. Somewhere around where Freeman was taken makes sense for Ponder right now


        EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks Ponder doesn't seem to step into some of his throws? He always seems to be slightly leaning backwards which is maybe causing a loss of velocity on some balls
        Last edited by AntoinCD; 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM.


        BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
          In almost every mock I see, they have him going in the late first to the Vikings. My question is what separates a guy like Mark Sanchez, who was a top 10 pick, from Christian Ponder. If Ponder takes another step forward, he will be taken in the top 10-15 by a QB needy team.
          I agree with this, but with Mallet and Locker (and potentially Luck) there are others that are better prospects with higher upside. However, Ponder is by far my favourite prospect at QB at this point. He's going to be succesful in the league because of his excellent intangibles and his skillset, which is perfectly suited for the NFL imo.

          Originally posted by ElectricEye
          I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by prock View Post
            I think the reason Ponder is going late is that the quarterback position looks to be so stacked at the top, with Mallet, Locker, and potentially Luck. In some years, he could be taken top 10, and he could go late first in this class. But I love Ponder, he just does everything well. He isn't flashy, but I see him as top 10-15 quarterback in this league for a long time.
            This.

            Locker and Mallett are potentially two of the most elite QB prospects to come around in quite a while.

            I think Ponder fits into the Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Mark Sanchez category where he isn't an elite prospect, but in a down year with a needy team, he would get pushed up.

            However, this year looks pretty stacked. Assuming they don't tank completely, Locker and Mallett should be top 5-7 locks, so two QB needy teams will be off the board there. In the (unlikely imo) chance that Luck comes out, he would have to have had a monster year and would likely be a top 10 lock as well.

            Ponder isn't a slouch or bad prospect, but if the teams who need QBs end up getting the elite guys early, Ponder won't likley be pushed up the draft boards.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't know why people think Luck is such a threat to Ponder's draft status. Ponder is clearly better.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                I don't know why people think Luck is such a threat to Ponder's draft status. Ponder is clearly better.
                I think that the only way Luck comes out is if he has a monster year, and that coupled with his better measurables will push him ahead.

                That said, I don't expect Luck to come out this year. I think he might actually have a rough go as the offense's main weapon with Gerhart gone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think at this point, unless Luck has an absolutely dominant season and shows significant progress in several key areas (especially his mid range accuracy), he won't declare. That leaves Ponder as the definite #3 QB and a guy I think is a top 20 pick. Love the athleticism, love the intangibles, and even though I do think his actual arm strength and accuracy both leave a little to be desired, Ive a feeling he will make due in the pros. A real good QB who we could see fall a bit due to the top heavy talent in Locker and Mallett.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                    I think that the only way Luck comes out is if he has a monster year, and that coupled with his better measurables will push him ahead.

                    That said, I don't expect Luck to come out this year. I think he might actually have a rough go as the offense's main weapon with Gerhart gone.
                    Ya I'd be very surprised if he came out.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Kinda reminds me of a more athletic/better scrambling version of Chad Pennington as a prospect.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post
                        Kinda reminds me of a more athletic/better scrambling version of Chad Pennington as a prospect.
                        Thats actually a really good comparison. He's very Aaron Rodgers-esque in alot of his movements as well.
                        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                        The APS is strong in this one.
                        Originally posted by killxswitch
                        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          Thats actually a really good comparison. He's very Aaron Rodgers-esque in alot of his movements as well.
                          It might just be since he's been a starter, but I think Rodgers is all around a little 'quicker'...I don't remember how he looked in that department as a prospect though.

                          I like the Pennington comparison too btw. Similar in their lack of elite measurables too.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pennington pre-shoulder surgeries.

                            Bonekrusher.

                            Originally posted by JordanTaber
                            Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              He sort of reminds me more of a Jimmy Clausen, a guy who was good in many areas but not great in any one category.

                              As for Luck he'll throw more this year and when did a Stanford team not be able to get the ball to it's receivers, i look for him to come out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information