Ryan Mallet vs Jake Locker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Mallet vs Jake Locker

Let me start by saying that this draft is loaded with great yoong future NFL QBs and I am looking forward to the 2011 draft. Now to the topic at hand. I guess this debate could end up like Manning vs Leaf or Bledsoe vs Mirer, but I think when all the smoke clears Ryan Mallett is going to blow Jake Locker out of the water as the ultimate QB prospect and be the #1 overall pick. Mallet has everything you look for in an elite QB prospect.

He has the size, outstanding arm strength, and the mobility to get the job done at the next level. The guy can just flatout sling the football around the football field. He trumps Locker in every category except for straight line speed. Locker in my opinion is very, very, overrated and overhyped. I hear some of you guys mentioning him as one of the best QB prospect over the past 10-12 years. He just does not stand out to me like Matthew Stafford or Micheal Vick or Carson Palmer.

I guess all this hype originated from him beating a decimated USC team at home and then all of a sudden he is the greatest QB. If he is so great, he should have atleast been to 1 bowl game by now. The funny thing is that the same people that build Locker up and make excuses for him for not winning enough are the same ones that tore Jimmy Clausen down for not winning at ND. I guarantee that eveyone will be on the Mallett bandwagon by the end of the football season. He will go #1 overall.

Originally posted by dregolll View Post
    Let me start by saying that this draft is loaded with great yoong future NFL QBs and I am looking forward to the 2011 draft. Now to the topic at hand. I guess this debate could end up like Manning vs Leaf or Bledsoe vs Mirer, but I think when all the smoke clears Ryan Mallett is going to blow Jake Locker out of the water as the ultimate QB prospect and be the #1 overall pick. Mallet has everything you look for in an elite QB prospect.

He has the size, outstanding arm strength, and the mobility to get the job done at the next level. The guy can just flatout sling the football around the football field. He trumps Locker in every category except for straight line speed. Locker in my opinion is very, very, overrated and overhyped. I hear some of you guys mentioning him as one of the best QB prospect over the past 10-12 years. He just does not stand out to me like Matthew Stafford or Micheal Vick or Carson Palmer.

I guess all this hype originated from him beating a decimated USC team at home and then all of a sudden he is the greatest QB. If he is so great, he should have atleast been to 1 bowl game by now. The funny thing is that the same people that build Locker up and make excuses for him for not winning enough are the same ones that tore Jimmy Clausen down for not winning at ND. I guarantee that eveyone will be on the Mallett bandwagon by the end of the football season. He will go #1 overall.

False! Ive been on Locker since he was a freshman gettin his *** handed to him. His accuracy is definitely better than Mallett's too btw.

That said, i think Mallett is probably the guy that goes first, especially if he fixes his consistency issues.

oh and i hate the 'he woulda made a bowl game if he was good' argument. his team his freshman year was abysmal. like out of control bad. this aint like the nfl where their is very little talent disparity from team to team and a QB can be the deciding factor. his team was completely outclassed on a weekly basis. last year was the first time they were decent, but theyre still growing. teams make and win bowl games. individuals do not.

This'll be a good race all year. I like Locker more and have for a while as mentioned before but im warming up to Mallett slowly. little gunshy though after I loved Russell and his tools so much...whole lot of good that did him.
    Last edited by hockey619; 09-03-2010, 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
    Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by dregolll View Post

The problem i have with your argument is you feel the need to falsely dog the other guy to make your guy look good. Why cant they both be good pro prospects? Both guys are a good size, have good accuracy and the arms to be pro bowl QBs. You sort of lost me when you talked about Mallett blowing Locker out of the water but have it and convince the Bills to take Mallett whille you're at it. (that from a Seahawks fan)

Comment

Ugh....the Ryan Mallett isn't accurate fallacy...

Mallett is very accurate, hence the low number of interceptions. It's his touch that needs to be refined. He rifles the ball everywhere, even swing passes. To say Mallet isn't accurate, is admitting to not watching him play, and peeking at box scored for a completion percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballbright View Post
          Ugh....the Ryan Mallett isn't accurate fallacy...

Mallett is very accurate, hence the low number of interceptions. It's his touch that needs to be refined. He rifles the ball everywhere, even swing passes. To say Mallet isn't accurate, is admitting to not watching him play, and peeking at box scored for a completion percentage.
          I agree. Add that to the fact that his WR's were awful last year and couldn't catch a cold.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I love Locker, so I'm obviously going to disagree here. I can't wait to watch him this season. He can get so much better too.
            aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Plenty of people were high on Jake Locker before he beat USC.

I might be forgetting something here, but how exactly was the team he beat "decimated"? I'm not even trying to make a point but outside of Matt Barkley being out and Aaron Corp starting at QB, who else was out exactly?
              "TELL MARTZ I SAID F*CK HIM!"
              17/10/2011

Comment

I like Locker more than Mallett, but I think Mallett will end up being the first QB taken. And I agree that Mallett is an accurate passer, but people will mistake him missing high or something for poor accuracy. I don't think that is poor accuracy, I just think that is poor footwork. The million dollar question with Mallett is how well will his footwork progress this year and once he gets to the NFL, and will he be able to adjust to an offense that is more of a pro-style attack than his offense at Arkansas. I can't give a respectable answer to that yet, but a guy with his tools is definitely my pick to be the top QB picked.

Comment

Luck is better than both.

Comment

Originally posted by BrabbitMcRabbit View Post
                    Luck is better than both.
                    I absolutely love Locker but I agree with this.

Comment

I'd like to see Luck actually play somebody at some point so we can find out.

Seriously, Jake Locker has a terrific arm, but it's not even close to Mallet's in terms of arm strength. Like, it's not even close.

And I don't think Locker is more accurate than Mallet on a throw for throw basis either.

I like all three guys to be honest, but I'm taking Mallet as of right now.

Comment

Jake Locker's arm really takes a backseat to nobody in terms of being strong. The guy has a 95 mph fastball in baseball and i've seen him throw it 75 yards in football. If Mallett's arm is better it's marginal at best and actually irrelevant as far as their draft stock goes.

Comment

If Chan Gailey is picking 1st overall Locker is going ahead of Mallett either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
                            If Chan Gailey is picking 1st overall Locker is going ahead of Mallett either way.
                            Don't get the connection.

And besides why would anyone think that Buffalo will win less games than Cleveland or Seattle.
                            Last edited by Babylon; 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                              Don't get the connection.

And besides why would anyone think that Buffalo will win less games than Cleveland or Seattle.
                              Buffalo is beyond bad. They're the worst team in the league IMO.
                              Trent Edwards is awful. Probably the worst starting QB in the league. They have no pass protection....that offensive line is disgusting. The defense has no pass rushers.
                              The secondary is pretty decent, and they have a talented stable of backs. Apart from that the team is abysmal. They're my clear favourites to get the #1 pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information