Tyrod "T-Mobile" Taylor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrod "T-Mobile" Taylor

Here is a guy who single handily has improved over the past couple of seasons @ Tech as a passer. Last year he completed 136 passes on 243 attempts with 2,311 yards & a 56% completion rate. The other night against Boise St. he completed 15 passes on 22 attempts for 186 yards on 2 TD's. Aside from being an undersized 6'1'' 210 QB a knock I have on him is, that he still does not have the thought process of a top notch QB in a 2 minute drill. My question to you all who scout prospects, is can he get himself together in his final season to bring his stock up as a potential NFL QB? If he gets drafted what round does he go, & does he have a shot @ being a signal-caller @ the next level or will he make a position switch?

Last edited by shylo3716; 12-05-2010, 12:17 AM.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
    The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
    Newton
    South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
    Barely literate +5 swagger
    Thief +15 swagger
    Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
    Big, average speed -3 swagger
    Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
    Total Swagger: 62
    ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

There was a lot to like out of Taylor Monday. I saw him go through progressions, make good decisions with the ball, throw the ball with great zip, good accuracy, and a quick release, and I think most of his incompletions were drops on well-thrown, catchable balls (not to say they were all easy catches, but they were in the right place).

There was a lot of rumors saying he runs that offense as good as Vick did coming out of VT in the Summer. It's well-justified after what we saw Monday. Plus, he made that miracle run for a first down after nearly getting sacked that reminded me of Randall Cunningham.

I don't want to sound like there was nothing bad about his play Monday, but I didn't see anything. He took a couple sacks, but the replays did a good job showing the coverage...his receivers were smothered on those sacks. Good job taking the sacks.

Slightly unrelated, but I hate how NFL teams will draft a guy like Taylor to be a backup to a stiff (Hasselbeck - Wallace, O'Donnell - Stewart) or to start with a stiff backing him up (Vick - Schaub, Young - Collins). Teams never commit to having an athletic QB by keeping a stable of them on the roster. It'd be extremely beneficial for a team like Tennessee to have a guy like Pat White, Armanti Edwards, or Josh Cribbs backing up Vince Young. They can do a lot of things Young can do if they need to replace him, plus they play other positions that maximize roster spots. One of the experiments that I'd take on if I were a GM is to build a sick defense, then build my offense around athletic QBs with a unique offense to take advantage of their skill-sets.

Comment

He did look good vs. Boise, and I think he looked a little thicker than the 210 you have him at. He's probably a late-round project in my mind, and worst case scenario, could make the move to RB like Michael Robinson. They share some similarities imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        He did look good vs. Boise, and I think he looked a little thicker than the 210 you have him at. He's probably a late-round project in my mind, and worst case scenario, could make the move to RB like Michael Robinson. They share some similarities imo.
        I got his measurements from ESPN.com but I also think he's about 215 or so give or take.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
        The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
        Newton
        South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
        Barely literate +5 swagger
        Thief +15 swagger
        Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
        Big, average speed -3 swagger
        Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
        Total Swagger: 62
        ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

How do you single handedly improve as a passer? Or I guess its how do you not...

But anyways, he's definitely improved and is a great athlete. But he still has such a long way to go as a passer that a position change is probably in his future.

Comment

The advantage he has over other running quarterbacks is that he's running a pro-style offense for the most part unlike a guy like Pat White.
            "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

reminds me of Troy Smith, minus the hype.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

He can't be any worse than Tarvaris Jackson as a prospect, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  reminds me of Troy Smith, minus the hype.
                  Exactly, except Troy Smith is 10x the passer Taylor is.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    Exactly, except Troy Smith is 10x the passer Taylor is.
                    Well, I don't know about that... Taylor looks amazingly improved in that department. If you're only basing it off of past seasons, then you're right, but Taylor looked like a completely different passer against Boise State. Taylor's a better runner than Smith, though.

Comment

There were times in the Boise game where he missed wide open recievers. The one that sticks out the most is the pass behind the reciever on 3rd down to clinch the game.

There was a lot to like but he is still a developing QB. 5th-UDFA at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                        There were times in the Boise game where he missed wide open recievers. The one that sticks out the most is the pass behind the reciever on 3rd down to clinch the game.

There was a lot to like but he is still a developing QB. 5th-UDFA at this point.
                        I thought that was a bad play, but do you think that might have been a miscommunication? I think Tyrod might have wanted him to break the route off closer to the sticks, but it could have easily just been a missed throw by Tyrod.

I think he is still a developing QB, but he has come a very long way since he has been at Virginia Tech. Some of his passes still don't have the best zip on them, but he definitely has the arm to put zip on whatever passes he wants. He has gotten a lot better at buying time in the pocket and going through his progressions in the pocket, but I didn't think he did a great job of this against Boise State. I think he did a fantastic job of doing that against Tennessee, but he wasn't as good at it against Boise. Of course that was just my impression live, so I have to re-watch it to get a better view of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Offseason View Post
                          I thought that was a bad play, but do you think that might have been a miscommunication? I think Tyrod might have wanted him to break the route off closer to the sticks, but it could have easily just been a missed throw by Tyrod.

I think he is still a developing QB, but he has come a very long way since he has been at Virginia Tech. Some of his passes still don't have the best zip on them, but he definitely has the arm to put zip on whatever passes he wants. He has gotten a lot better at buying time in the pocket and going through his progressions in the pocket, but I didn't think he did a great job of this against Boise State. I think he did a fantastic job of doing that against Tennessee, but he wasn't as good at it against Boise. Of course that was just my impression live, so I have to re-watch it to get a better view of it.
                          Could have been miscommunication. I was also there live and haven't even seen the highlights. At one point, I'll rewatch the game. No one stood out on the Va. Tech side for me, not even Ryan Williams, but both Titus Young and Austin Pettis did a great job for Boise State.

Comment

There weren't a lot of plays where Tyrod had to go through progressions. There was a lot of one-read plays. The few times he had to go through progressions, I thought he looked good doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                              There weren't a lot of plays where Tyrod had to go through progressions. There was a lot of one-read plays. The few times he had to go through progressions, I thought he looked good doing so.
                              Agreed. I was personally impressed with him as I said earlier. He isn't going to wow you with his passing skills, but they aren't bad and add to that his ability to run, and he could have a chance to stick at QB in the pros. I mean, Troy Smith is still floating around isn't he?

And if that doesn't work out, I think he could try making the move to RB ala Michael Robinson.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information