Draftnicks and the Future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draftnicks and the Future

I just want to address something I have seen on blogs and also heard on sports talk radio over the last few months. It is one damn issue. I will start off with the story of this guy I heard on the radio a few months ago around draft time.

As a Rams fan, he said the Rams should have no drafted Bradford because next years qb class is going to be better and they can address a different need now.

I have some sources and some very reliable people I know that say as a GM and his brigade of regional scouts they don't take that in to consideration going into a draft. But they do take that into consideration and take mental notes about sophmores/juniors etc but don't think next year's TE class is going to be stacked so lets wait til next year.

I am 1000000% against this idea. Who is to say Jake Locker will not **** the bed and may fall to the 10-19 range and not be a top 3-6 pick. Who is the say the Rams will not be 10-6 with Bradford and in a position mid to late 1st to grab a WR.

Too many who is to say AB or C.

Thoughts?

thanks.
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

You have to get your franchise QB when you can to start the rebuilding process as soon as possible. Same goes for LT.

Position players such as WR, RB, CB, LB, etc may be different but if you have an elite prospect at QB and LT on the board when you pick, you don't pass them up for a chance at a guy next year who may or may not be there. They're too vital to today's game.

Comment

There is just waaay too much unpredictability from year to year to think that way. You have to take what is available this year and plan accordingly. The Rams were a garbage team 3 straight years and the best way to get things turned around is to bring in what you hope will be your franchise QB.

Now, I wasn't a big Bradford fan, but he was the best available and the Rams had to take him. You gotta get a QB with franchise potential into the fold when you have the opportunity.

Comment

I think you may be on too something. I may be wrong about any position and being against that idea. But their are positions that its so hit or miss like you said with RBs/WRs etc.
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

QB's on the other hand may be a different scenario fo shiz

Comment

Lions fans were saying this before we took Stafford. Take Aaron Curry or Jason Smith, next year's quarterback class is better. Then 2010 comes around and we are picking 2nd. The Rams took Bradford #1 overall and there wasn't another a quarterback worth a top ten pick. Had the Lions "waited until next year," we still wouldn't have a quarterback.

Comment

A team could play themselves out of a draft pick. If a few balls go there way and have luck on their side could go from 1-3 to 4-6 and miss out on an elite QB.
              Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

I don't think GM's think about future draft classes when they're deciding who and who not to pick. A quick way to lose your job, if you ask me.

The draft process is entirely too strenuous, complicated, and fluent for that. Expanding it over two years only compunds that and increases the chance of looking like an incompetant idiot.
                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

It's stupid to bank on the future when considering what to do with your picks now. You need to go with the information you have about that current year's prospects and try to assemble the best class possible without considering what the future may hold.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Forget the concept of whether waiting for next year is smart or not. Every team is constantly battling to not be in a position where they have a high draft pick. I know that from our position, as fans, it's easier to be pessimistic and look ahead and whatever, but positivity is a pervasive part of every NFL organization. It has to be.

I'm not suggesting that some GM's aren't shrewd or realistic at times, but you get the players you can get when you know you can get them, not bank on your team laying an egg and having the shot at some player down the line who may or may not be worth it. Hell, as things are today in the NFL, you banking on your team winding up in the top 10 doesn't make sense simply because you might not be around to make the pick.

So, no, the idea that the Rams should have waited for Locker or Mallett or Luck is not legitimate.

Comment

As far as I know teams don't usually take the following years talent into account. There are just too many variables. For example, if the Rams win one game this year that could put them out of the Jake Locker sweepstakes. Of if they like Andrew Luck what if he doesn't come out. Or what if a player gets hurt or regresses? What if a team had passed on a quarterback in 2009 because they were waiting for Jevan Snead? :o) There may be exceptions but by and large teams don't factor future classes into their final decisions on Draft Day.
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                        I have some sources and some very reliable people I know that say as a GM and his brigade of regional scouts they don't take that in to consideration going into a draft. But they do take that into consideration and take mental notes about sophmores/juniors etc but don't think next year's TE class is going to be stacked so lets wait til next year.
                        I wish I knew what the **** it was you were so riled up about... :-(

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                        Originally posted by JBCX
                        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                          As far as I know teams don't usually take the following years talent into account. There are just too many variables. For example, if the Rams win one game this year that could put them out of the Jake Locker sweepstakes. Of if they like Andrew Luck what if he doesn't come out. Or what if a player gets hurt or regresses? What if a team had passed on a quarterback in 2009 because they were waiting for Jevan Snead? :o) There may be exceptions but by and large teams don't factor future classes into their final decisions on Draft Day.
                          I think there are some exceptions to that. Teams like Buffalo just aren't going to be very good this year no matter what they did. And given where they were picking there wasn't a franchise QB left that they could take, or more precisely wanted to take since many people consider Clausen a franchise QB, although I'm very eh about his potential. So they had to look at next year and determine whether they thought there was going to be some guys in next year's draft that they think have franchise QB potential. They're going to be so terrible this year that they'll need lucky bounces just to not get blown out of most of their games because of their absolutely incompetent passing game.
                          Last edited by Rosebud; 09-15-2010, 03:30 AM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                          JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                          Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                          Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                          Originally posted by JBCX
                          Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

I personally didnt think bradford was a great prospect but if they believed he was a possible franchise qb prospect he was the only right choice given the situation

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                            - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                            - Corner or Wideout in the first
                            - No reaching
                            - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

The problem really is that I think teams take QBs just to make the "right call" when they really don't believe him to be an elite prospect.

Take them if you see an elite prospect at QB, don't just take the best QB available because you need one.
                              Originally posted by SNIPER26
                              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information