Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heyward, Clayborn and Bailey....3-4 DEs....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heyward, Clayborn and Bailey....3-4 DEs....?

Is the best fit for Cameron Heyward, Adrian Clayborn and Allan Bailey 3-4 DE?

I think so.

Thoughts

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Heyward most definitely, but the other 2 have question surrounding that situation. Could they do it? Probably, but Im not convinced that it would be the best position for either of them. Clayborn I really like in a 4-3, and Ive stated a few times on here I think that's Bailey's best fit as well.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I'll go with Heyward as a 4-3 or 3-4 DE and the other two more 4-3 ends or 3-4 olbs. Going to see Jared Crick of Nebraska over the weekend in Seattle, he probably is the best 3-4 DE of them all.

Comment

Heyward is a Seymour clone at 3-4 end, I think it is his best fit and he could be dominant there. If he played for a defense where he could get moved around a lot like Seymour did in NE, he could be lethal.

Clayborn is a guy who I think could do it, but I don't know if it is his best fit yet. I could see him being a Darnell Dockett type of player in a 3-4, but I really like him as a Tuck type player in a 4-3. He's another guy who would benefit from moving around a lot, he is talented enough to play either end spot or kick down to DT if need be in a 4-3.

Allen Bailey's size screams 3-4 end, but I still don't know what to make about Bailey. He is talented no doubt, but I still can't decide what I think his best fit is. Could he play 3-4 end? Probably, but he is talented enough to play quite a few positions in a lot of defenses. This year will be big for him.

Jared Crick is another guy who I think could be a great 3-4 end, I think he is the second best 3-4 end prospect behind Heyward. He has the ideal frame for it and is very smooth and strong, he is a guy I would love to see on the Pats.

Marcel Dareus is a big time talent who needs to get on the field and put that talent on display year round. That TD in the NC game showed his rare ability, but I want to see him dominate when he gets back from his suspension. He could be a top 10 pick if he puts it all together.

Comment

Heyward and Bailey definitely fit better as 3-4 DE's. Clayborn on the other hand fits in both schemes but I actually like him most in a 4-3.

Comment

I see Heyward as a cant miss 3-4 DE prospect, while Clayborn I think can be a great 4-3 DE and Bailey as a guy who can play DE in both 4-3 and 3-4 D's and maybe UT in a 4-3 as well.

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

I think Marcel Dareus is the best 3-4 end, Heyward is a very very close 2. Both are men amongst boys in the college level. Adrian Clayborn screams left DE in a 4-3. Bailey is just too inconsistent to determine what might be best for him. He is awesome one play disappears the next. You have to be a rock to play 3-4 end, not a liability. He has a lot of talent.
              Last edited by bigfreak314; 09-15-2010, 04:11 PM.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
              Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

I believe 3-4 DE is the best fit for all three of them. I think Heyward is the best suited and most natural fit of the three, but Clayborn might have the highest ceiling. I see Bailey and Heyward as more similar to each other and both would be best as DT's in a 4-3, but I think Clayborn would be a left DE in a 4-3. Heyward and Bailey could also play left DE, but would have higher ceilings inside. All depends on who drafts them and that teams particular needs. All three can be considered versatile and could find a home in about any defensive front.

Here's how I rank the 3-4 DE prospects...

1. Jared Crick, 6-6, 290, Nebraska*
                2. Adrian Clayborn, 6-3, 282, Iowa
                3. Cameron Heyward, 6-6, 287, Ohio State
                4. Allen Bailey, 6-4, 288, Miami
                5. Cameron Jordan, 6-4, 285, California
                6. Da'Quan Bowers, 6-4, 278, Clemson*
                7. Marcell Dareus, 6-3, 280, Alabama*
                8. Lawrence Guy, 6-5, 300, Arizona State*
                9. Lawrence Marsh, 6-5, 305, Florida
                10. Christian Ballard, 6-5, 297, Iowa
                11. Adrian Taylor, 6-4, 303, Oklahoma
                12. Jerel Worthy, 6-3, 298, Michigan State#
                13. Muhammad Wilkerson, 6-5, 300, Temple*
                14. Brandon Thompson, 6-3, 305, Clemson*
                15. Ryan Van Bergen, 6-6, 280, Michigan*
                16. Nick Jenkins, 6-3, 290, Virginia*
                17. Matt Conrath, 6-7, 280, Virginia*
                18. Zach Clayton, 6-3, 290, Auburn
                19. Cedric Thornton, 6-4, 295, Southern Arkansas
                20. Billy Winn, 6-4, 288, Boise State*

Comment

I don't think Clayborn is gonna be over 6'2" and there are some people who would argue that is too short to be an effective 3-4 end.

Comment

Clayborn in the 4-3.

Bailey hmmmn he has amazing speed, but is always a step slow to get off the ball. I don't know where he ends up. 3-4 end go be the way to go, since he probably has the strength to hold up against the run. No, he does not belong as a olb in the 30 scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                      I don't think Clayborn is gonna be over 6'2" and there are some people who would argue that is too short to be an effective 3-4 end.
                      6-2 is borderline, but with all the 3-4 teams out there now the guidlines have been stretched for all the front 7 positions in a 3-4. Several years back you wouldn't see a 6-3 player drafted in the first 2 or 3 rounds to play 3-4 DE. That said, length is still more important for a 3-4 DE than it is for a 3-4 OLB.

Comment

Clayborne could be a Shaun Ellis/Trevor Pryce type 3-4 DE...Heyward the more prototypical type...Bailey's best position is TBD...it could work.

Comment

Heyward is a 3-4 end, who can play 4-3 DE or DT.
                          Clayborn is a 4-3 end.
                          Bailey is a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT.

Comment

Cameron Heyward I think is the prototypical 2 gap 5 technique in the NFL. He has the size, length and hand use to be able to stack and shed the OT. His problem is he needs to be more consistent.

Adrian Clayborn I like as a Justin Tuck-type player. His best fit may come at LE while sliding inside on passing downs. He isn't the purest pass rusher in the draft but more than makes up for it with his motor. He could be serviceable as a 5 technique.

Allen Bailey is the X factor of the 3. He has enough size to stand up OTs but also has the athleticism to turn the corner. I don't think he has the discipline to play in a gap control defense though and may be better suited in an attacking style odd front. Dallas and San Diego would be good fits for Bailey.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I wonder how effective Clayborn would be if he lost 15 or so pounds to gain a bit more explosion.

He doesn't have the athleticism of Bailey or the versatility of Heyward.
                              Unreal strength and hands like seal clubs, he stays balanced and finds the football on almost every play. His effort and instincts alone make him a 1st rounder.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information