Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

I mentioned him a while back when discussing DT's to watch for this year's draft (But that was before Illinois DT Josh Brent went pro) but I wanted to start a thread on this guy. He's been playing at a really high level this season, and against Ohio State yesterday he had 11 tackles, 2 TFL and 1 sack. He made his presence felt all day against NFL caliber OL on the OSU offensive line. He also did the same thing against Missouri (And the other two opponents for that matter). He is a true junior defensive tackle who was highly rated coming out of Miami. Miami, LSU and the other heavyweights wanted him. He had an impressive start as a freshman and then had injuries last year as well as playing about 30 pounds overweight from bulking up too much. He has slimmed back down to 290 or so at 6'3 and is a beast. Very strong and can move. I think you'll be hearing his name as well as some others on the Illinois defensive line this year and beyond.
    Last edited by bigbenn; 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM.

I wanted him real bad on the Canes. I believe he was family friends with the Pata's or something so his mom wouldn't let him stay in South Florida...something like that.

He's really quick and athletic. IIRC he returned kicks and played RB/TE in HS.

I haven't seen him yet in college but I figured I'd validate bigbenn's post so people don't think it's just another Big 10 fan hyping up a mediocre player.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
      I wanted him real bad on the Canes. I believe he was family friends with the Pata's or something so his mom wouldn't let him stay in South Florida...something like that.

He's really quick and athletic. IIRC he returned kicks and played RB/TE in HS.

I haven't seen him yet in college but I figured I'd validate bigbenn's post so people don't think it's just another Big 10 fan hyping up a mediocre player.
      Thanks etk...Liuget is definitely legit. I'm sure the Big Ten Network will play the Illlinois-OSU game a couple more times this week (They already have). Check it out if you can. Whether Corey's pushing the pocket on Browning (And I mean absolutely blowing him up from the snap on one of Illinois' sacks or INT's-I don't remember which one), Brewster or Boren, he was just making all types of plays. And he's been playing like that all year. You'll definitely be hearing his name more and more. He's the best DT in the B10 right now and is only gettng better.

Comment

I'll take Daniels, Ballard, Martin, and Ogbu over him right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbenn View Post
          He's the best DT in the B10 right now.

Are you ******* high? You STILL haven't learned from your past idiotic claims?

Right, and Illinois has as much skill as all of the national title contenders, right?

Add Dexter Larimore and John Simon to Told's list.

Comment

I'd even add Devon Still to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post

Are you ******* high? You STILL haven't learned from your past idiotic claims?

Right, and Illinois has as much skill as all of the national title contenders, right?

Add Dexter Larimore and John Simon to Told's list.

I would be willing to bet you haven't watched Liuget at all...and I meant what I said, he's playing the best out of the DT's in the B10. I've seen all of those guys and still come to this conclusion. This thread will be here at the end of the year so we'll see...just watch him against PSU this Saturday.

Comment

He's not playing better than any of those I listed.

Comment

Season stats are 15 tackles, 4 tfl, and 1 sack.

Solid numbers, don't get me wrong, but in comparison.

Mike Daniels: 19 tackles, 8 tfl, 3 sacks.
                  Mike Martin: 17 tackles, 4.5 tfl, 2 sacks.
                  Ollie Ogbu: 19 tackles, 4.5 tfl.
                  Dexter Larimore: 16 tackles, 4.0 tfl, 1.5 sacks.

I would say the best DT in the conference right now is Mike Daniels. Christian Ballard is also playing quite well, but he's not putting up numbers. He terrorized PSU last week.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
                    Season stats are 15 tackles, 4 tfl, and 1 sack.

Solid numbers, don't get me wrong, but in comparison.

Mike Daniels: 19 tackles, 8 tfl, 3 sacks.
                    Mike Martin: 17 tackles, 4.5 tfl, 2 sacks.
                    Ollie Ogbu: 19 tackles, 4.5 tfl.
                    Dexter Larimore: 16 tackles, 4.0 tfl, 1.5 sacks.

I would say the best DT in the conference right now is Mike Daniels. Christian Ballard is also playing quite well, but he's not putting up numbers. He terrorized PSU last week.

No...those aren't updated. He had 11 tackles overall against OSU and 6 or so I believe against Missouri. I don't even know his stats from the NIU or SIU games but he was dominating those games so I would be he has more tackles and TFL than that. And anyway, it isn't all about the stats. Liuget is very disruptive in the pocket whether it's from nose guard, one or two gap defensive tackle. Again, just watch him against OSU and watch this upcoming week against PSU.

Comment

I would be willing to bet you haven't watched Liuget at all...and I meant what I said, he's playing the best out of the DT's in the B10. I've seen all of those guys and still come to this conclusion. This thread will be here at the end of the year so we'll see...just watch him against PSU this Saturday.
                      Is that your only reply? "Well, if you don't think Illinois Player X is TOTALLY TEH BESTEST ROXORZ, YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED HIM!!!". Give it a rest. Considering I watch more Big 10 football than 95 percent of this board, I'd estimate that yes, I've seen him play. I watched the Mizzou and Ohio State games. No, he hasn't been the best. He had four tackles against Ohio State. I don't know what crackpot site you're using.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/...e/gamelog.html
                      http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...100210aaa.html
                      https://www.nmnathletics.com//downlo...B_OEM_ID=17300

Cfbstats.com, Illinois' official site and Ohio State's official site all list him with four tackles (3-1) in that game. How about you stop talking out of your ass, mmmk? Oh, by the way, he had zero TFL against SIU and 0.5 TFL against NIU. Double-check your facts, Jack.

To go off of Told's numbers, Mike Martin is also playing out of position with ****-for-brains at the other 10 defensive spots. The guy's been playing out of his mind. I don't know if he's been the Big 10's best (probably not, seeing as how Mike Daniels is going apeshit right now), but I can guaran-*******-tee that Liuget's not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                        Is that your only reply? "Well, if you don't think Illinois Player X is TOTALLY TEH BESTEST ROXORZ, YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED HIM!!!". Give it a rest. Considering I watch more Big 10 football than 95 percent of this board, I'd estimate that yes, I've seen him play. I watched the Mizzou and Ohio State games. No, he hasn't been the best. He had four tackles against Ohio State. I don't know what crackpot site you're using.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/...e/gamelog.html
                        http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...100210aaa.html
                        https://www.nmnathletics.com//downlo...B_OEM_ID=17300

Cfbstats.com, Illinois' official site and Ohio State's official site all list him with four tackles (3-1) in that game. How about you stop talking out of your ass, mmmk? Oh, by the way, he had zero TFL against SIU and 0.5 TFL against NIU. Double-check your facts, Jack.

To go off of Told's numbers, Mike Martin is also playing out of position with ****-for-brains at the other 10 defensive spots. The guy's been playing out of his mind. I don't know if he's been the Big 10's best (probably not, seeing as how Mike Daniels is going apeshit right now), but I can guaran-*******-tee that Liuget's not the best.

The fact that you would respond like this tells me all I need to know. And I was talking overall (Assists included). You can find 4 Liuget tackles in the first quarter and a half alone. And look at the best two opponents each guy has played, with the prospects they have played against. Those guys are good, but going against UMass, etc. etc. etc. for 3 or 4 games would make them look like that. Again, this thread will be here at the end of the year, so we'll see.

Comment

Holy **** Holy **** Holy ****

Told is winning an argument and Sniper is agreeing with him.

We need bf51 in here to complete the holy trinity.

Comment

The fact that you would respond like this tells me all I need to know. And I was talking overall (Assists included).
                            Oh, you were? Because every single one of those sites list assisted tackles. He had one. 3 solo tackles and one assisted tackle. Why don't you go ahead and do some research? Sounds good.

You can find 4 Liuget tackles in the first quarter and a half alone.
                            Well, obviously, you can't, since no one who keeps tackle stats credited him with 11 tackles.

And look at the best two opponents each guy has played, with the prospects they have played against. Those guys are good, but going against UMass, etc. etc. etc. for 3 or 4 games would make them look like that. Again, this thread will be here at the end of the year, so we'll see.
                            Yeah, it must have been so hard to make tackles against Ohio State when everyone and their mother knew that it was a run play. Cam Gordon had 15 tackles for Michigan last week when Indiana passed 64 times. Thorpe award? I THINK SO!

Comment

Told is making sense and backing it up with a good argument. What the hell is going on?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information