X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dregolll
    started a topic Matt Barkley vs Andrew Luck

Matt Barkley vs Andrew Luck

I was wondering why Andrew Luck has gotten all this hype by the media and a lot of you on this website, but it seems to me that Matt Barkley is the superior talent. In my opinion, Barkley does everything better as except for running with the football. Barkely reminds me of young Troy Aikman and has the looks of a future franchise QB in the NFL. Matt Barkley is the perfect QB prospect and I think he is much more talented passer than Andrew Luck.

I know i'll be ripped for this post, but a lot of you are just jumping on the bandwagon in regards to Andrew Luck. You all are basically listening to what others are saying. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Paranoidmoonduck
    replied
    Luck doesn't always set his feet, but I've seen him throw plenty of amazing deep passes. If that's his main weakness, then he's in pretty good shape.

Leave a comment:

• SchizophrenicBatman
    replied
    Luck did have one good long pass that I saw in the USC game. It wasn't a bomb, but it was maybe 25-30 yards in the air. It required a good play by the WR (Owusu I believe) but it was well thrown

Leave a comment:

• Giantsfan1080
    replied
    Luck was also 20-24 with 3 TD's against USC and led them down the field in the last minute for a game winning FG. Maybe it wasnt' dominant but the numbers speak for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• BeerBaron
    replied
    Originally posted by niel89 View Post
    At this point, I think that the lack of a quality deep ball is Luck's biggest weakness as a prospect, which frankly is a good thing. His deep ball is often just always a little off, a second too late or a bit too short. He needs to drive the ball instead of just float it more on those deeper passes. Luck doesn't lack the arm strength, I've seen many strong throws while on the run from him.

Other than that, he is pretty solid all around, but I personally think he is a little overrated. He needs to clean up some of his decisions, mostly on deeper passes though. I also believe that he is the benefit of very quality offensive game plans and play calling, but I can't really hold that against him because he executes so well. He doesn't dominate a game in my eyes yet, but I also think that he will rarely be asked to single handedly be the offense because Stanford tries to be balance on offense. He executes perfectly and makes the plays needed to win the game. I'm sure I'm just being a little hard on him and I'm sure that he will get even better with another year of quality QB coaching.

I really see Luck staying for another year, and then we get to have a great debate between Barkley and Luck for the #1 Qb next year.
    To the first part, it didn't really seem to hurt Bradford or Matt Ryan. And I still contend that his arm is stronger than those two.

To the second, yeah it was Wake Forest, but he really crushed them in that game. Which is good that he doesn't play down to his competition. I like seeing when a good QB dominates a team that he should.

To the third...I believed that too all offseason, but seeing him in the games that I have, he just looks so amazingly ready to go now. I think he'll come out...the QB needy teams at the top of the draft better hope so.

Leave a comment:

• niel89
    replied
    At this point, I think that the lack of a quality deep ball is Luck's biggest weakness as a prospect, which frankly is a good thing. His deep ball is often just always a little off, a second too late or a bit too short. He needs to drive the ball instead of just float it more on those deeper passes. Luck doesn't lack the arm strength, I've seen many strong throws while on the run from him.

Other than that, he is pretty solid all around, but I personally think he is a little overrated. He needs to clean up some of his decisions, mostly on deeper passes though. I also believe that he is the benefit of very quality offensive game plans and play calling, but I can't really hold that against him because he executes so well. He doesn't dominate a game in my eyes yet, but I also think that he will rarely be asked to single handedly be the offense because Stanford tries to be balance on offense. He executes perfectly and makes the plays needed to win the game. I'm sure I'm just being a little hard on him and I'm sure that he will get even better with another year of quality QB coaching.

I really see Luck staying for another year, and then we get to have a great debate between Barkley and Luck for the #1 Qb next year.

Leave a comment:

• Vox Populi
    replied
    Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
    I didn't get to watch that much of the game but did Luck throw a better deep ball than he did in the Oregon game? I think he just lacked accuracy in that game definitely not arm strength. He'll be deadly in a mid range passing game in the NFL.
    I only got home from work in time to see the second half of the game but he didn't attempt any deep floaters like he did against the Ducks. I've only seen those two games of him, and I haven't seen him throw a good deep ball yet, but every single other pass has been beautiful outside of three deep floaters, and thats better than anything I've seen out of a college QB, uhhhh... in the past decade.

Leave a comment:

• kwilk103
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SickwithIt1010
    replied
    If anyone really follows College Quarterbacks im sure you have all heard the name of Steve Clarkson....hes supposed to be a quarterback guru as far as mechanics and what not. I know that Matt Barkley worked with him, so did Jimmy Clausen. Some of you guys in here are talking about mechanics and i actually think that sometimes these guys struggle because of how much they worked with this guy. They go back and they go through all the mechanical stuff and look somewhat robotic sometimes. When you watch Luck he looks so smooth and so fluent and i think thats what you need to be. He really is pretty to watch...Just my opinion on that....

....But aside from that i think both of them showed why they are both future first round picks in the draft. I think Barkley has made such a huge jump from last year to this year. He looks a lot more confident when he throws the ball, makes quicker decisions, and just looks like an all around better Quarterback.

....and what is there not to like about Luck? i like him a ton as a prospect. Is that bad being a USC fan?

Leave a comment:

• BeerBaron
    replied
    Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
    Good game to watch, showing off two future NFL starters. Barkley made more impressive NFL style throws, but Luck simply made the correct plays to win the game. Good contrast between the QB's. Barkley reminds me quite a bit of Stafford. Luck's more of a hybrid Sanchez/Bradford?
    I think Luck has a stronger arm than Bradford...Sanchez too I think. I think physically, he is a lot like Eli Manning. Both listed around the same size, definitely good arm strength but nothing spectacular...

I can see some Stafford in Barkley as well. Another year of polish to smooth out some of his quirks, and he could definitely be there. I'm not sure his arm is quite as strong as Stafford though.

Leave a comment:

• San Diego Chicken
    replied
    Good game to watch, showing off two future NFL starters. Barkley made more impressive NFL style throws, but Luck simply made the correct plays to win the game. Good contrast between the QB's. Barkley reminds me quite a bit of Stafford. Luck's more of a hybrid Sanchez/Bradford?

Leave a comment:

• P-L
    replied
    Barkley might be more talented physically, but Luck is just so far ahead of everyone else in terms of the mental aspects of the game. His poise and leadership are just outstanding. He is so advanced for his age and experience that the fact that he's only a redshirt sophomore doesn't even bother me.

Leave a comment:

• Babylon
    replied
    There really isnt much to not like about Andrew Luck and i'd have to say i'd love to have him in Seattle if the local guy wasnt coveted around here first.

Speaking of Locker he was tested for Mono this past week and i guess if he had contracted it there would have been a chance he would have been done for the year. (worked for Sam Bradford)

Leave a comment:

• Giantsfan1080
    replied
    I didn't get to watch that much of the game but did Luck throw a better deep ball than he did in the Oregon game? I think he just lacked accuracy in that game definitely not arm strength. He'll be deadly in a mid range passing game in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• BeerBaron
    replied
    Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
    Watched both of these guys quite a bit this weekend.

Luck definitely doesn't lack arm strength. His touch is just so damn good that you get the perception he's not firing it in there. That's not the case. The ball gets to where it needs to be, and it doesn't hang or float. He'll be excellent in the mid-range passing game in the pros. His feet are also the best that I think I've ever seen for an pocket passing. He's nimble and works great in confined spaces (a MUST for the NFL). He's the PERFECT west coast offense quarterback. Bill Walsh walks around with a massive boner in heaven watching that kid play for Stanford.

Barkley's got all the talent in the world, but the mechanic concerns voiced earlier in this thread are legit. Too often, he hurries through his mechanics, doesn't set his feet properly, and his passes end up sailing or nose diving. He's got the potential to be a good prospect, too, he just needs some more polish.
    Said it better about both than I ever could.

Luck is just so damn smooth.....mmmm. Love to see that in a QB prospect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information