Suh vs. McCoy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it sucks for mccoy that he will FOREVER be measured against suh

this isnt mario williams v reggie bush, this is the same position and physical production is going to mean alot more in this debate and so far suh has a head start of epic proportions and is only getting better
    E]

Comment

There was a lot of people buying into Mayocks McCoy>Suh hype.
      It was ridiculous.

McCoy had a better first step.
      Suh had higher production, better strength, better block shedding, better against the run, better wrap up tackling, better pretty much everything...not to mention he should have won the Heisman as a freaking defensive tackle. McCoy was a very good prospect. Suh was a once in a couple decades prospect. I said it before, I think his best comparison is Reggie White.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
        I dunno about that. Suh gets better with every game, and he's playing on an already talented Dline. I think it's entirely possible he finishes the season with double digit sacks, and the last time an interior Dline did that in the NFL was Dana Stubblefield and John Randle, that I remember.

No rookie DT in modern history has EVER tallied double digit sacks, I don't think.
        Sapp was the last one to in 05 or 06. La'Roi Glover and he also both got like 15 each back in 2000.

Kevin Williams got 10.5 in his rookie season. I believe Darrell Russell did too.

It is entirely possible, but there's just way too much projection going on in this thread based on 7 or 8 games.

Comment

hes given us a fair amount of production to use for projections....if mccoy was tearing the world to pieces, i know i and many of us would never hear the end of it
          E]

Comment

Originally posted by PVonDy85 View Post
            As a Husker fan, it continually amazed me last year by the group think of everyone calling McCoy a better pass rusher with greater potential. We are only half way through this season and it is very clear who the better player and prospect is.

Suh: 27 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 1 int

Mccoy: 13 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 int

I think it can fairly be argued that Suh is already one of the top 3 defensive tackles in the NFL.
            Wait, what? He's 8 games into his rookie season. He's playing amazing football, but calm down with the homerism.

I love me some Suh, but jeez.

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Let me go on record as saying that Suh is the better player, but I don't think people are giving enough thought to the fact that Suh is surrounded by far better talent on the DL.

Comment

i think KVB, Avril, and SLH are the lucky ones, not suh
                E]

Comment

Could you imagine if the Lions can't get either of the top two CB's if they get Robert Quinn. :)

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                    i think KVB, Avril, and SLH are the lucky ones, not suh
                    You may have a case for that. Vanden Bosch had 4.5 sacks all of 2008 and 3.0 sacks all of 2009. Not he has 4.0 in 7 games.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlife View Post
                      Sapp was the last one to in 05 or 06. La'Roi Glover and he also both got like 15 each back in 2000.

Kevin Williams got 10.5 in his rookie season. I believe Darrell Russell did too.

It is entirely possible, but there's just way too much projection going on in this thread based on 7 or 8 games.
                      Rod Coleman had 10.5 in 2005, too.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
                        I really think Tyson Alualu isn't getting the respect he deserves in this discussion
                        Yeah, the discussion really should have been McCoy vs. Alualu vs Odrick vs. Price, etc. Suh was in his own class.

Comment

Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
                          You may have a case for that. Vanden Bosch had 4.5 sacks all of 2008 and 3.0 sacks all of 2009. Not he has 4.0 in 7 games.
                          i think KVB is a fine football player, but 31 sacks in 3 seasons with haynesworth and 7 in 2 seasons without him says something.

now with suh as a rookie hes on pace to borderline double digit sacks again.

suh is a beast, he will unanimously be the best interior dlineman in the league soon, i felt completely comfortable making that prediction watching him in college and he has given me no reason to shy away from it now.

with suh and calvin being 2 of my favorite prospects ever, lions games are being watched on my sunday ticket pretty frequently now. i might be a closet lions fan
                          E]

Comment

I just don't see how you could discount production because they were similar cases.

They were both in the same conference, at quality schools, and faced a lot of the same opponents, and Suh produced more as a senior than McCoy produced in 3 full seasons, and Suh's junior year was still dominant, it's not like McCoy even did anything like that.

So the argument was that McCoy had some wicked first step, and that would translate better, so numbers should be tossed out the window. They show up at the combine, and have almost identical 40 yard dash, and their 10-20 yard splits were close as well, with Suh being like 12-15 pounds heavier and about 2x as strong.

Ok, then that didn't mean anything either, because McCoy's mystical first step couldn't be gauged in numbers, or stop watches, and he should still be rated higher.

Then there were those of us who use logic looking at each other like, FFS, have you watched Suh play? The dude was dragging down QBs and blowing up RBs with 2-3 defenders draped all over him and holding him.

Best defensive line prospect this decade, and McCoy wasn't as good as Ellis or Dorsey a few years ago. I LOVE Ellis and Dorsey too, and I'm pretty biased, the Saints took Ellis, and Dorsey is a guy from a local school who I've seen a ton of, and they shouldn't be in the discussion with Suh, and McCoy wasn't even as good as them.

I think people really didn't realize how much more powerful Suh is, because his weight doesn't tell the story on just how freakishly strong he is.

"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at hte next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                              I just don't see how you could discount production because they were similar cases.

They were both in the same conference, at quality schools, and faced a lot of the same opponents, and Suh produced more as a senior than McCoy produced in 3 full seasons, and Suh's junior year was still dominant, it's not like McCoy even did anything like that.

So the argument was that McCoy had some wicked first step, and that would translate better, so numbers should be tossed out the window. They show up at the combine, and have almost identical 40 yard dash, and their 10-20 yard splits were close as well, with Suh being like 12-15 pounds heavier and about 2x as strong.

Ok, then that didn't mean anything either, because McCoy's mystical first step couldn't be gauged in numbers, or stop watches, and he should still be rated higher.

Then there were those of us who use logic looking at each other like, FFS, have you watched Suh play? The dude was dragging down QBs and blowing up RBs with 2-3 defenders draped all over him and holding him.

Best defensive line prospect this decade, and McCoy wasn't as good as Ellis or Dorsey a few years ago. I LOVE Ellis and Dorsey too, and I'm pretty biased, the Saints took Ellis, and Dorsey is a guy from a local school who I've seen a ton of, and they shouldn't be in the discussion with Suh, and McCoy wasn't even as good as them.

I think people really didn't realize how much more powerful Suh is, because his weight doesn't tell the story on just how freakishly strong he is.

"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at hte next level!"

The hell he won't, lol
                              +a million

couldnt have said it better. for me it was Suh and Berry as the elite prospects, and mccoy was somewhere around 11th

i dont think mccoy is bad, but i would have dorsey, raji (who i wasnt crazy about as a 34NT), ngata (who i loved so so so so much so clearly hed go to the ravens), and maybe even okoye as better prospects than mccoy. I wasnt crazy about ellis.

If im ranking DT prospects from the last decade im going

Suh
                              the rest, including ngata aka the former DT love of my life

im sig quoting the bold lol
                              E]

Comment

Originally posted by vidae View Post
                                Wait, what? He's 8 games into his rookie season. He's playing amazing football, but calm down with the homerism.

I love me some Suh, but jeez.
                                Are you saying that, that arguement couldn't be made right now? I'd love to hear you make that arguement that there's no way Suh can be argued as a top 3 DT right now. I think it's a no-brainer, as it stands ...

And -- I've seen some people bring up Sammie Lee Hill as a huge beneficiary with Suh ... it's more Corey Williams as he's the starter ... Corey has been playing a Pro Bowl level himself, he's really getting the rewards from Suh ... SLH has been great though. Hell -- look at the entire DL:

KVB - 4 sacks
                                Corey Williams - 1 sack(blowing plays up consistently behind the LOS regardless, playing at a Pro Bowl level)
                                Cliff Avril - 3 sacks
                                Turk McBride - 2 sacks
                                Lawrence Jackson - 1 sack
                                SLH - 1.5 sacks

19/23 sacks comes from the Defensive Line ... the Lions have improved in every statistical category and ever since replacing Jonathan Wade ... dare I say, they've been GOOD on defense? Suh is changing a lot of things in Motown.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information