No announcement yet.

Kenny Tate, S, Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the Youtube videos of him. He is NOT a free safety. His coverage skills aren't that great. However, he excels up close to the line of scrimmage. He's either a strong safety or weakside linebacker in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by wordofi View Post
      I watched the Youtube videos of him. He is NOT a free safety. His coverage skills aren't that great. However, he excels up close to the line of scrimmage. He's either a strong safety or weakside linebacker in the NFL.
      Yeah Edsall is making the right move . He will be more effective at Linebacker

Comment

Admit you haven't seen Kenny Tate play an entire game before you go spouting about his coverage skills. Kid is always where he's supposed to be in coverage and flat out decapitated WRs in the ACC when teams threw into his coverage zone.

He can get deep, has ball skills and is a HITTER. Tate isn't a 3rd corner covering a slot WR, he's a 6'4 safety who can turn and run and not embarrass himself.

UMD's new HC has almost no talent on defense and thinks Tate is more valuable as a OLB/SS hybrid close to the LOS instead of allowing him to roam the mid to deep third in pass coverage.

Edsall is screwing Tate for the next level IMO. His best position I believe is at safety.

Watch the Florida State game clip from 2010 on youtube. Tate is a safety.
        Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 07-19-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Aren't they moving him to linebacker?
          "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

That's what HC Edsall is saying, that Tate can make more plays for the Terps this season at OLB.

But I think UMD will use him more like a rover, similar to the way the Seminoles used Derrick Brooks.

I think it sucks, but in theory there's no way you can play a 'playmaker' out of position.
            Great players find ways to make good things happen no matter where you line them up.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
              That's what HC Edsall is saying, that Tate can make more plays for the Terps this season at OLB.

But I think UMD will use him more like a rover, similar to the way the Seminoles used Derrick Brooks.

I think it sucks, but in theory there's no way you can play a 'playmaker' out of position.
              Great players find ways to make good things happen no matter where you line them up.
              True...this kid will be dynamic no matter where they place him at.
              "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

He was used as a rover before this is nothing new. Its not like they put him out in Cover 2 or 1 all day the guy was used all over the field and was the primary blitzer for Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                  I like him a lot better right now.
                  Frankly I said it before in previous threads but I didn't see the great coverage skills everyone else saw. I felt his instincts were off, and he wasn't quick to the ball at all. But probably the biggest problem I had was he did not seem fluid, I thought he played quite stiffly and had some problems turning and running. I also said that the part that I liked the most was when he was in the box, used as blitzing OLB, and as a run-chase tackler. I think he really fits that WILL spot in the 4-3, and I could see him being a first round pick at that position with a good year as long as he adds some weight. I also think he is a pretty good fit for the SS position, but with a lot of teams requiring their safeties to do more and more covering (in addition to the trend of a lack of distinction between your two safeties) I'm not sure he'll be looked at that highly.

And I'll say about Maryland is that while we've seen the athletic freaks they've produced, we haven't seen the great football players they produced. There is generally a give and take in everything in life, for Maryland that would mean sacrificing some technical skill for more athletic ability. We've seen that at a lot of positions at the NFL level, a high level of technical skill and understanding of the position is more important than athletic ability.
                  I agree with pretty much everything U posted. He is to stiff for FS in the NFL. He may be a good fit at safety for the Patriots or a team like the Giants with Perry Fewell who used Deion Grant in a tweener LB/safety role last year. I think U put 10 pounds on him and he is a nasty WLB. He isnt very fluid for a safety but for a WLB he has elite athleticism . I dont see this move by Edsall as that big of a deal. Again its not like he was a traditional safety anyway. I think this highlights his skills and diminishes his weaknesses. I was most impressed with him going forward and attacking the line of scrimmage. Not turning and running with receivers or playing deep zone coverage. The best he looked in coverage was playing the flats taking away throwing lanes whch is perfect for an OLB.
                  Last edited by HakeemtheMachine; 07-04-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but Kenny actually was used in coverage quite a bit last season all over the field.

Edsall is talking about Tate like he's a part of the front 7.

Comment

Yeah, but Kenny actually was used in coverage quite a bit last season all over the field.

Edsall is talking about Tate like he's a part of the front 7.
                      Quite a bit for a safety? I would disagree with that, in terms of snaps maybe. I dont think he is fluid enough to be a NFL Free safety doesnt have the instincts to play deep either. His height is a detriment in man coverage. Maryland uses him in the slot but most of the time he blitzes from there it was rather predictable as well but thats another discussion about Marylands coaching. I think Edsall has the right idea moving him as he would not be a FS in the NFL. Edsall is a superior coach to Ralph Friedgen and it will become obvious very quickly at Maryland

Comment

Edsall won't do anything at UMD that the Fridge didn't do.

Firing Friedgen and hiring Edsall was strictly a lateral move by the AD because Friedgen didn't give boosters a hardon and didn't sellout their stadium.

Fridge won the ACC. He took the Terps to a BCS game and had three consecutive 10 + win seasons to start his career at Maryland.

Edsall is a JAG coach, it's not like Maryland just signed Bob Stoops.

People are talking as if Tate is getting his jock stolen in coverage, which isn't the case. His instincts in the passing game are one of his strengths as a football player.

He recovers IMO better than any CB on UMD's football team and he doesn't bite on play action.

The Terps beat Florida State last year because of Tate's play at the LOS and his ability to get deep and play the pass.

This isn't Taylor Mays we're talking about, and Tate's height is an asset in pass coverage, not a liability.

Tate at safety in the pros, since in the NFL there really isn't such a thing as a pure FS or SS anymore, IMO is his best position.

I don't wanna see him bulk up 25-30# to play 43 OLB.

Comment

He does not have the range to play Centerfied . He is strictly a SS if anything. I think more NFL teams will adapt these Nickel bases like TCU and Nebraska. Tate is a great fit as the "Nickel rover" in those systems. If not WLB is his best NFL position to me. He goes from average range , below man coverage skills for a safety to having great attributes for an OLB. His height will be an asset to play the short zones and cover receiving TE's as a OLB

Comment

Maryland should be in the national championship hunt EVERY year. No reason that they can't with the talent in the Maryland/D.C. area.
                            The problem with my Terps is that. we surround this super athletes with below average players are athletes. we will get a class od recruits with 3 mega athlete transformers and the other 17 players are like above average div 1 aa players.

Comment

Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                              I like him a lot better right now.
                              Frankly I said it before in previous threads but I didn't see the great coverage skills everyone else saw. I felt his instincts were off, and he wasn't quick to the ball at all. But probably the biggest problem I had was he did not seem fluid, I thought he played quite stiffly and had some problems turning and running. I also said that the part that I liked the most was when he was in the box, used as blitzing OLB, and as a run-chase tackler. I think he really fits that WILL spot in the 4-3, and I could see him being a first round pick at that position with a good year as long as he adds some weight. I also think he is a pretty good fit for the SS position, but with a lot of teams requiring their safeties to do more and more covering (in addition to the trend of a lack of distinction between your two safeties) I'm not sure he'll be looked at that highly.

And I'll say about Maryland is that while we've seen the athletic freaks they've produced, we haven't seen the great football players they produced. There is generally a give and take in everything in life, for Maryland that would mean sacrificing some technical skill for more athletic ability. We've seen that at a lot of positions at the NFL level, a high level of technical skill and understanding of the position is more important than athletic ability.

What the heck are you talking about we dont make good players

1. Dominique Foxworth,

2. Shawne Merriman

3. Ej Henderson

4. Lamont Jordan -Rb

5. Scott - Cb steelers

6. Josh Wilson -cb ravens

on and on

Comment

Originally posted by HakeemtheMachine View Post
                                Tate was a hybrid player, Its not like he was a stereotypical safety anyway. They lined him up everywhere except DT. Most of his impact plays came when he was near the line of scrimmage not when he was back in coverage. If anything I think he will be in better position to make big plays. He wasnt all that great in coverage for a safety anyway but for a LB he will be excellent.
                                Yeah you guys are right i am Terp fan so i speaking emotional. Tate showed up to Spring practice even bigger this year, at 6'4 230 pounds. Randy Edsall was like ok i have seen enough your a Linebacker lol. But people are saying that will help him have a longer career in the NFL.

its kind of what happened with Patrick Peterson . Tate and Peterson are just out growing their positions. PP is too big for Cb, and Tate is too big to be a Free safety.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information