Kenny Tate, S, Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
    Yeah you guys are right i am Terp fan so i speaking emotional. Tate showed up to Spring practice even bigger this year, at 6'4 230 pounds. Randy Edsall was like ok i have seen enough your a Linebacker lol. But people are saying that will help him have a longer career in the NFL.

its kind of what happened with Patrick Peterson . Tate and Peterson are just out growing their positions. PP is too big for Cb, and Tate is too big to be a Free safety.
    I like him a lot as a OLB. I was never crazy about his man coverage skills and his ability to play the deep ball which are crucial to being a FS . His body type is much more suited to play Linebacker . While being 6'4" is detriment when trying to mirror WR's its ideal for getting in the throwing lanes and playing the short zones that he will be asked to fill as an OLB. While his short area quickness is not ideal for matching NFL WR's it is more than adequate to go against some of the better receiving TE's and H-Backs in the NFL. His height and leaping ability will also be a welcome asset when trying to defend these players in the red zone. Tate was at his best when he was near the line of scrimmage attacking the run or blitzing. Edasall recognized he didnt have the range or quickness to play FS in the NFL and wisely decided to move him. I think this highlights his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses

Comment

Originally posted by HakeemtheMachine View Post
      I like him a lot as a OLB. I was never crazy about his man coverage skills and his ability to play the deep ball which are crucial to being a FS . His body type is much more suited to play Linebacker . While being 6'4" is detriment when trying to mirror WR's its ideal for getting in the throwing lanes and playing the short zones that he will be asked to fill as an OLB. While his short area quickness is not ideal for matching NFL WR's it is more than adequate to go against some of the better receiving TE's and H-Backs in the NFL. His height and leaping ability will also be a welcome asset when trying to defend these players in the red zone. Tate was at his best when he was near the line of scrimmage attacking the run or blitzing. Edasall recognized he didnt have the range or quickness to play FS in the NFL and wisely decided to move him. I think this highlights his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses
      Yes your correct . Tate is more poor mans Lawrence Taylor , Lavar Arrington. Than a Adrian Wilson. Last year 85% of the time in was playing in the fronf 7 with the linebacker. He was our best pass rusher las t year. he so quick for Offensive Lineman they just couldnt even get a hand on him. He is way to big and strong for college Rb's and even Fb. And his pass rushing moves just get better every year. i wouldnt be shocked if in the nex t year he grows into a 4-3 , 3-4 outside linebacker Von Miller. Tate is just an Elite athlete and at Linebacker, at that spot he has a better chance to show his closen speed which to me is Corner back line he just closes like a Shark to a seal in water. Its just Amazing and he hits like he wants to force a Fumble everytime.

Comment

Yes your correct . Tate is more poor mans Lawrence Taylor , Lavar Arrington. Than a Adrian Wilson. Last year 85% of the time in was playing in the fronf 7 with the linebacker. He was our best pass rusher las t year. he so quick for Offensive Lineman they just couldnt even get a hand on him. He is way to big and strong for college Rb's and even Fb. And his pass rushing moves just get better every year. i wouldnt be shocked if in the nex t year he grows into a 4-3 , 3-4 outside linebacker Von Miller. Tate is just an Elite athlete and at Linebacker, at that spot he has a better chance to show his closen speed which to me is Corner back line he just closes like a Shark to a seal in water. Its just Amazing and he hits like he wants to force a Fumble everytime.
        Será interesante ver si Kenny Tate juega la seguridad o el linebacker de la NFL. Él no es definitivamente un fuerte gratuita.

Comment

Originally posted by wordofi View Post
          Será interesante ver si Kenny Tate juega la seguridad o el linebacker de la NFL. Él no es definitivamente un fuerte gratuita.
          your mama lol

Comment

At this point, I'd rather take Tate over Ray Ray and Telemaque. I rate him right behind Lester...lots of football to be played though.
            "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I was referring to guys like Bruce Campbell. To be fair the guys you mentioned are solid players but none except Merriman was a star and I'm not sure if he'd be that good without the enhancements he received, was never huge on his technical skill as a pass rusher.

Comment

I also forgot to Add D'Qual Jackson Lb Cleveland, And Jared Gaither OT Baltimore Ravens. And Jeremine Lewis Super bowl Wr,Kick returner. For a Basketball school like Maryland. We produce some really talented footballplayers if you ask me then also Dt,s like Kris Jenkins Stars nose guard fromthe Jets,yep he is a Terp. Randy Sparks Dt Terp too. Darius Hey-Bey has had a rough start to his NFL career but this year i bet he takes off.

Comment

Originally posted by ellsy82 View Post
                  At this point, I'd rather take Tate over Ray Ray and Telemaque. I rate him right behind Lester...lots of football to be played though.
                  Tate's best thing he does is tackle , in a day and age where Db;s all they want to do is get picks or get the knock out hit, Kenny Tate is a throw back he form tackles. He has Outstanding closing deep for a big man he closed like a Big corner back Hits like a Linebacker. he can rush the passer. To he is a bigger version of Troy Polamalu. Plus he has alittle bit better ball skills too. Soft hands he a a wide out in HS.

Comment

He would fit perfectly on the Jets who needs a s.s. to replace Rhodes and a pass rusher. He could blitz from all angles in that scheme + has coverage abilty to keep the offense guessing.....if any team can take advantage of a hybrid olb/s.s. its the Jets.

Comment

He has Outstanding closing deep for a big man he closed like a Big corner back Hits like a Linebacker. he can rush the passer. To me is a bigger version of Troy Polamalu. Plus he has alittle bit better ball skills too. Soft hands he a a wide out in HS.
                      I don't think Tate is quite that instinctive, but as a Terps fan I like the comparison!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                        I don't think Tate is quite that instinctive, but as a Terps fan I like the comparison!!!
                        Nowhere near as instinctive especially in pass coverage. I think Tate is a much btter fit as an OLB I could see SS but his skills and body type are higlighted at LB.

Comment

Originally posted by HakeemtheMachine View Post
                          Nowhere near as instinctive especially in pass coverage. I think Tate is a much btter fit as an OLB I could see SS but his skills and body type are higlighted at LB.
                          Again I feel like you're implying Tate has trouble dropping in coverage or is too stiff to run with WRs.

WHenever he's been asked to cover zones, double over the top or close on a deep WR breaking free, Tate is there to make the play.

I think anyone would struggle to find examples from last season were Tate was 'exposed' when he was asked to cover.
                          If it's true that Tate showed up to spring ball weighing 230#, then this convo is moot. He's an OLB present and future.

Where was all this talk when Taylor Mays came out about his best pro position being OLB??

His game absolutely translates to OLB, considering his limited coverage skills.

I know I said that Mays should have been an OLB, but we were among a small minority on SWDC making the case.

Comment

Kenny Tate is a Rover postion, half S Half OLB.
                            HE is on Both watch list for the Thorpe award and the Butkus Award amazing. and like 3 other defensive national awards too.

Tate Named to Butkus Award Watch List
                            Kenny Tate earned another preseason honor Thursday as he was placed on the watch list for the 2011 Butkus Award, which is awarded annually to the nation's best ...
                            http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...071411aac.html -

College Football Awards: Maryland's Kenny Tate On Jim Thorpe Award Watch List

by Mike Prada • Jul 12, 2011 1:38 PM EDT

Kenny Tate is going to be on a lot of preseason college football award watch lists after having a fantastic junior season for the Maryland Terrapins. He already made the watch list for the Bednarik Award, which goes to the best defensive player in the country. Now, he's also made the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation's best defensive back.

Comment

Tate reminds me a lot of Roy Williams. Freakish athletic ability (though Tate is freakier) and both a heck of a lot to deal with in the box because of their speed and strength. Tate also does a nice job of diagnosing plays in front of him and moving towards them. I think he has good enough coverage skills to stay at Safety in the NFL, much like Roy. Sure, he'll probably get burnt from time to time, but Tate also isn't lacking in awareness lack Roy was in the second half of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bird View Post
                                Tate reminds me a lot of Roy Williams. Freakish athletic ability (though Tate is freakier) and both a heck of a lot to deal with in the box because of their speed and strength. Tate also does a nice job of diagnosing plays in front of him and moving towards them. I think he has good enough coverage skills to stay at Safety in the NFL, much like Roy. Sure, he'll probably get burnt from time to time, but Tate also isn't lacking in awareness lack Roy was in the second half of his career.
                                Yeah hehas a better body frame than Roy, Roy was about 6'1/ Kenny is 6'4 and his wing span is about 6'9. He is so much fun to watch i just cant wait for the Terps/Miami game Sept 5th national Tv. When was the last time a player was on both Throupe and Bukus award watch list? He was preseason ALL AMERICAN at FS National. He was put as the #3 Linebacker in the Whole ACC. and he has neverplayed 1 down AT LB. Just shows you what type of Athlete your dealing with. I honestly feel he could play both sides of the ball and Maybe some Wideout / H-back in the redzone he has a 40 inch vert and great hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information