X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Regular
    started a topic Kenny Tate, S, Maryland

Kenny Tate, S, Maryland

Is this safety the next physical specimen from Maryland? 6'4 220, runs like a WR, and a former Basketball recruit.

I've admittedly not seen much of Maryland this year, but Tate is draft eligible, and appears to be having a good season. Whats his stock looking like? Id love to hear what you guys think of him.

• shylo3716
    replied
    Originally posted by ellsy82 View Post
    You could draw a comparison to Robert Sands from his physical measurables alone. But Sands was more compact and much better in coverage. I dunno...I hate to see a player move positions in his senior year. Usually means disaster for their draft stock. But, if Tate is an all-star sure-thing in the NFL, he'll transcend any such change.
    Sam Shields = Converted player, Starter, Super Bowl Champ!

Leave a comment:

• ellsy82
    replied
    You could draw a comparison to Robert Sands from his physical measurables alone. But Sands was more compact and much better in coverage. I dunno...I hate to see a player move positions in his senior year. Usually means disaster for their draft stock. But, if Tate is an all-star sure-thing in the NFL, he'll transcend any such change.

Leave a comment:

• shylo3716
    replied
    Originally posted by HakeemtheMachine View Post
    I think he is way to leggy to be a safety in the NFL. He could he play SS but he will have troubles at times in pass coverage.
    That's why I'm thinking if he does well this year at OLB he can say goodbye to SS as a NFL prospect....He will be in a Thomas Davis type of situation.

Leave a comment:

• HakeemtheMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by shylo3716 View Post
    You really think he should play SS in the league? I think if he excels this year on the collegiate level at OLB I think that could be an ideal fit.
    I think he is way to leggy to be a safety in the NFL. He could he play SS but he will have troubles at times in pass coverage.

Leave a comment:

• Dam8610
    replied
    From the descriptions, Tate sounds like an Adrian Wilson type, and I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have that at SS.

Leave a comment:

• DiG
    replied
    Originally posted by shylo3716 View Post
    You really think he should play SS in the league? I think if he excels this year on the collegiate level at OLB I think that could be an ideal fit.
    i dont think hes going to be playing a true olb role and i do think he is as good a ss prospect as landry was coming out.

Leave a comment:

• shylo3716
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
    he'll be SS probably in the NFL. Could still play FS but likely seen as a SS by most teams. He's being called a "LB" but all signs point to the position really being a freelancer all over the field. Blitzing, dropping back, covering, run stuffing, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DiG
    replied
    he'll be SS probably in the NFL. Could still play FS but likely seen as a SS by most teams. He's being called a "LB" but all signs point to the position really being a freelancer all over the field. Blitzing, dropping back, covering, run stuffing, etc.

Leave a comment:

• shylo3716
    replied
    As of right now I am confused.....what will his NFL position be? Remember a guy like Thomas Davis got converted but not in college so this really puzzles me.

Leave a comment:

• REDSKINSWARRIOR82
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Bird View Post
    Tate reminds me a lot of Roy Williams. Freakish athletic ability (though Tate is freakier) and both a heck of a lot to deal with in the box because of their speed and strength. Tate also does a nice job of diagnosing plays in front of him and moving towards them. I think he has good enough coverage skills to stay at Safety in the NFL, much like Roy. Sure, he'll probably get burnt from time to time, but Tate also isn't lacking in awareness lack Roy was in the second half of his career.
    Yeah hehas a better body frame than Roy, Roy was about 6'1/ Kenny is 6'4 and his wing span is about 6'9. He is so much fun to watch i just cant wait for the Terps/Miami game Sept 5th national Tv. When was the last time a player was on both Throupe and Bukus award watch list? He was preseason ALL AMERICAN at FS National. He was put as the #3 Linebacker in the Whole ACC. and he has neverplayed 1 down AT LB. Just shows you what type of Athlete your dealing with. I honestly feel he could play both sides of the ball and Maybe some Wideout / H-back in the redzone he has a 40 inch vert and great hands.

Leave a comment:

• Big Bird
    replied
    Tate reminds me a lot of Roy Williams. Freakish athletic ability (though Tate is freakier) and both a heck of a lot to deal with in the box because of their speed and strength. Tate also does a nice job of diagnosing plays in front of him and moving towards them. I think he has good enough coverage skills to stay at Safety in the NFL, much like Roy. Sure, he'll probably get burnt from time to time, but Tate also isn't lacking in awareness lack Roy was in the second half of his career.

Leave a comment:

• REDSKINSWARRIOR82
    replied
    Kenny Tate is a Rover postion, half S Half OLB.
    HE is on Both watch list for the Thorpe award and the Butkus Award amazing. and like 3 other defensive national awards too.

Tate Named to Butkus Award Watch List
    Kenny Tate earned another preseason honor Thursday as he was placed on the watch list for the 2011 Butkus Award, which is awarded annually to the nation's best ...
    http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...071411aac.html -

College Football Awards: Maryland's Kenny Tate On Jim Thorpe Award Watch List

by Mike Prada • Jul 12, 2011 1:38 PM EDT

Kenny Tate is going to be on a lot of preseason college football award watch lists after having a fantastic junior season for the Maryland Terrapins. He already made the watch list for the Bednarik Award, which goes to the best defensive player in the country. Now, he's also made the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation's best defensive back.

Leave a comment:

• FUNBUNCHER
    replied
    Originally posted by HakeemtheMachine View Post
    Nowhere near as instinctive especially in pass coverage. I think Tate is a much btter fit as an OLB I could see SS but his skills and body type are higlighted at LB.
    Again I feel like you're implying Tate has trouble dropping in coverage or is too stiff to run with WRs.

WHenever he's been asked to cover zones, double over the top or close on a deep WR breaking free, Tate is there to make the play.

I think anyone would struggle to find examples from last season were Tate was 'exposed' when he was asked to cover.
    If it's true that Tate showed up to spring ball weighing 230#, then this convo is moot. He's an OLB present and future.

Where was all this talk when Taylor Mays came out about his best pro position being OLB??

His game absolutely translates to OLB, considering his limited coverage skills.

I know I said that Mays should have been an OLB, but we were among a small minority on SWDC making the case.

Leave a comment:

• HakeemtheMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
    I don't think Tate is quite that instinctive, but as a Terps fan I like the comparison!!!
    Nowhere near as instinctive especially in pass coverage. I think Tate is a much btter fit as an OLB I could see SS but his skills and body type are higlighted at LB.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information