Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Luck Doesn't Declare, Who Will Be the 1st QB Drafted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Luck Doesn't Declare, Who Will Be the 1st QB Drafted?

I'd be willing to bet that Luck stays for his senior season. I'm pretty confident there. So if he doesn't declare, who will be the first QB drafted? Who SHOULD be the first QB drafted? Could Carolina reach for a QB with their number one selection?

Three guys that seem like strong possibilities are Locker, Mallet and Newton.
    Just play me, baby

Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that Luck stays for his senior season. I'm pretty confident there. So if he doesn't declare, who will be the first QB drafted? Who SHOULD be the first QB drafted? Could Carolina reach for a QB with their number one selection?

Three guys that seem like strong possibilities are Locker, Mallet and Newton.
    I don't think Carolina reaches with Clausen there if Luck stays. I'd bet on Mallett at this point, he'd likely end up neck and neck with Newton. Locker has an outside chance over the Bowl Game and Senior Bowl though.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Cam Newton.

I think he'd be the favorite for the Carolina but AJ Green and Da'Quan Bowers would be more legitimate options than they are now.

Comment

Will be interesting to see who rises/falls at the combine.

I don't think they'll reach. You've got guys like Ponder and Enderle who'll be available in a later round. They'll draft somebody though - Clausen isn't getting much support from Carolina's newswriters. Plus once Fox is let go, you have to think the new coach is going to want to get "his guy."
        Just play me, baby

Comment

Again, Newton's being a project is going to come up. I don't think Carolina takes a QB other than Luck but as for QB if Luck stays, I think GMs will try and do everything in their power to elevate Mallett and Locker over Newton. Whether either one will hold him off, who knows but they'd have to flunk the offseason not to. Say what you want about Newton but its gonna take the right GM and coach to give him a shot. A patient pair willimg to develop him and go through years of ups and downs teaching him the NFL game. With good offseasons, and with Newton put under the microscope, my belief is Mallett/Locker a preference pick and interchageable at 1 or 2 and Newton the third QB.

Comment

I think the Panthers go WR or DL if no Luck. The first QB would decide on the team I guess. A team liek Buffalo will prefer Newton, or maybe some other teams will like Mallett

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Yeah, they might go BPA with AJ Green even though I think they're good at receiver. Got Steve Smith and two nice young guys in Gettis and LaFell, just need a QB who can get them the ball. Jimmy Clausen won't be that guy, and this is coming from a Notre Dame fan.
              Just play me, baby

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                I think the Panthers go WR or DL if no Luck. The first QB would decide on the team I guess. A team liek Buffalo will prefer Newton, or maybe some other teams will like Mallett
                Assume you're Buddy Nix, GM of the Bills. Would you like putting Cam Newton in against the defenses of the Pats, Jets and Miami twice a year, and in the AFC where he"ll see Pittsburgh and Baltimore regularly? He belongs in the NFC where the defenses aren't as sophisticated.

Comment

If the Panthers do take Newton, they'd need a stop-gap. I don't believe Newton will ever be a good NFL QB, but even his supporters should concede he can't start right away. Major project who needs to sit for at least a year.
                  Just play me, baby

Comment

Originally posted by NotRickJames View Post
                    If the Panthers do take Newton, they'd need a stop-gap. I don't believe Newton will ever be a good NFL QB, but even his supporters should concede he can't start right away. Major project who needs to sit for at least a year.
                    The team that makes the most sense to me for Newton is Seattle. Keep Hasselbeck another year or 2..he's a good role model for a guy like Newton. And most important he's in a very manageable conference and division where the defenses are...less than imposing. And needless to say he won't have a very high-strung, high IQ head coach in Pete Carroll. Probably would enable him a bit but the AFC is a shark pit for young QBs.

Comment

Hard to say... I think it would be similar to the '06 Draft (Young, Leinart, Cutler). Depends on who is picking and who they feel fits their system. Back in '06 of course people thought hometown hero VY to the Texans, well when that didn't happen the debate occurred in Tennessee (Norm Chow brings in Leinart, or work with VY?). Cutler was a wildcard who I felt was the best QB and really had a shot at going a lot of places.

Anyways it is sort of similar w/o Luck, we have 3 prospects (Newton, Mallet and Locker) who can sort of relate. Locker is similar to Cutler in that he was a star on his team. Now when I say star you need to realize Locker is/was talented on a team that didn't have many weapons. Only difference between he and Cutler is that Cutler was THE star on Vandy, and actually fared real well in the toughest conference. Locker underachieved, but I think is similar (Pro style offense, mobile, strong arm, intangibles, crappy team, etc.) Mallet plays in a QB friendly system and is hard to read. That is where the " fits the teams plans " comes into play. Petrino QB's aren't known to make it in the NFL (Redman, LeFors, Brohm, one other I can't remember).. But people said the same thing about Tedford's QB's and while many have busted (Akili Smith, Harrington, Carr, Boller) he has had one STUD in Rodgers. Lastly you have Newton who is similar to VY in a lot of ways. Besides all the physical attributes he is about to lead his team to the NC like VY did and this could rocket his draft stock. Overall if I had to choose I would say Locker. Mallet is risky because of the system and Newton is an unfinished product (raw). Locker has the work ethic and it can only go up from here. He has the tools but they have yet to be used.

Comment

To bad there aren't any offensive linemen they can take.

Comment

I hope Luck stays now just so Green could be the first pick overall.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
                          The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
                          Newton
                          South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
                          Barely literate +5 swagger
                          Thief +15 swagger
                          Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
                          Big, average speed -3 swagger
                          Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
                          Total Swagger: 62
                          ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

If Luck does not declare, there is not another QB I would take in the top 20 of this draft. Locker/Newton both 2nd rounders. The upside of those guys is hard to shy away from, but neither are QB's that you must follow the Golden Rule of the Draft for. Neither should see the field for two years at least.

Mallett has a lot of tools the offer right away, but he has many flaws as well.

I really would not want to be a team picking top 10 this year in need of a QB, I like the potential depth of guys in the 2nd with Locker/Newton/Ponder/Stanzi/Devlin. Put those guys in situations where you have a starter for one or two years and start building around them.

The more I think about it, the more I think Buffalo should go that route. Draft some pieces around FItzpatrick and draft one of those previous mentioned QBs in the 3rd. Whom ever is available.

Ponder might be the best guess?
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

I really hate this QB classes immediate impact without Luck, but 2-3 years you could have 4 starters.
                              Originally posted by njx9
                              i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information