Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something That Irks Me About Draftniks......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something That Irks Me About Draftniks......

Since this is a draft community, I thought I'd get some feedback on how others feel about this. One thing that really irks me is when draftniks go on about how teams winning meaningless games at the end of the season take them out of contention for a certain player. I've seen this stated numerous times regarding Andrew Luck to the Buffalo Bills. These players are in the NFL to win, and by coming out of the season on a winning streak at the end of the season will do wonders to boost the teams confidence going into the next season. Much more than a draft pick who may or may not bust. It seems like draftniks get enamoured with certain players, and are angry when certain teams pass on them or play themselves out of getting that particular player.

Thoughts?.......

I see people say Buffalo played themsevles out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, but that doesn't mena they should have tanked the games to get back in the sweepstakes. I think people often say it tongue in cheek rather than meanign the team should tank and lose.
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      Since this is a draft community, I thought I'd get some feedback on how others feel about this. One thing that really irks me is when draftniks go on about how teams winning meaningless games at the end of the season take them out of contention for a certain player. I've seen this stated numerous times regarding Andrew Luck to the Buffalo Bills. These players are in the NFL to win, and by coming out of the season on a winning streak at the end of the season will do wonders to boost the teams confidence going into the next season. Much more than a draft pick who may or may not bust. It seems like draftniks get enamoured with certain players, and are angry when certain teams pass on them or play themselves out of getting that particular player.

Thoughts?.......
      We're all closet GMs wouldnt you say? Players and coaches play to win the game (thanks Herm) so that is all that matters. What i wonder sometimes is what the general managers of these teams think. I find it hard to believe somebody in the Carolina or Buffalo front office is obsessing over a win when they can grab a franchise QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        These players are in the NFL to win, and by coming out of the season on a winning streak at the end of the season will do wonders to boost the teams confidence going into the next season. Much more than a draft pick who may or may not bust.
        Based on what are you making this argument? Not the players are in the NFL to win part, everything that comes after it.
        On what basis are you claiming ANY of that?

Would a three game winning streak to finish last year have given the Sam Bradford-less Rams a 10-6 record this year?

Comment

The 2009 Carolina Panthers went 3-0 after being eliminated from the playoffs

Really helped them going into this season

Comment

I'll admit that I'm guilty of saying a certain team has played their way out of getting a particular player, but I never mean it to sound as though that team should have tanked. It's simply stating a perceived fact...like the Bills now have too many wins to have a chance to draft Andrew Luck with their original pick (they could trade up.)

It's just how it is...

Comment

Bills don't even need Andrew Luck. They can clearly win by building around Fitzpatrick for the time being. By not just tanking Fitzpatrick has shown a lot of growth, and has staked his claim to the job. Bills have much bigger needs than QB now and they should address them.

Comment

Originally posted by 6270410908 View Post
                Bills don't even need Andrew Luck. They can clearly win by building around Fitzpatrick for the time being. By not just tanking Fitzpatrick has shown a lot of growth, and has staked his claim to the job. Bills have much bigger needs than QB now and they should address them.
                Eh, Fitz is scrappy and can make enough plays to keep you in a game, but I don't think he's a franchise QB.

Give defensive coordinators around the league a years worth of film on him to watch, and he'll start looking bad again.

If they have a shot at Luck, they should absolutely take him. Now, if they're picking 3-5 and miss out.....maybe you can justify going another position over "settling" for the next best guy. But if one of Mallett, Locker or Newton starts to fall a bit, maybe they should trade back up into the end of the first round and grab him.

To put the fate of the franchise in Ryan Fitzpatrick with no other option would be a mistake in my opinion.

Comment

There should already be enough film on Fitz...he's been in the league for 6 seasons and has played quite a bit in St Louis, Cincy and Buffalo. Fitz is what he is...he's scrappy and a smart player but during the course of this season he has clearly developed in his efficiency and decision-making. And he's doing it with Steve Johnson and a cast of nobodies...with an UDFA rookie starting now. You can't really argue that Fitz is worth keeping...as far as an insurance policy...Ponder, Devlin, Stanzi etc...take one in the event he does crash and burn but at this point, and Chan Gailey has pretty much confirmed this already, Buffalo is questioning if QB is their biggest need now. Its not. They need a defense and a LT.

Comment

Fitzpatrick is a competent NFL QB, but is he really a guy you can win a Super Bowl with (in a non-Trent Dilfer scenario)?

What he's really done is put the Bills in a position to be able to take a high-risk player like Cam Newton or Jake Locker and allow them time to develop and give them a fail safe in case he busts

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                      Fitzpatrick is a competent NFL QB, but is he really a guy you can win a Super Bowl with (in a non-Trent Dilfer scenario)?

What he's really done is put the Bills in a position to be able to take a high-risk player like Cam Newton or Jake Locker and allow them time to develop and give them a fail safe in case he busts
                      I agree that they need to draft someone to develop behind him, and I think Newton could be a decent option if they choose to go that direction, but what exactly has Locker done to warrant being a top 10 pick?

Comment

I think the point is, and it's one I've made before, keeping Fitzpatrick for another year, instead of "settling" for a guy, might be a better long-term option. I mean, if there's not a guy on the board (hypothetically) who the Bills' front office is sold on, they're going to make themselves more competitive by drafting an impact defensive player, for example, over a QB who might not be an improvement. I really don't think it's a good idea for losing franchises to just draft quarterbacks in the first round as a first option for returning to relevancy. Build the offensive line, strengthen the secondary. If you see "your guy" in a draft, by all means make a move, do whatever it takes to get him. But you absolutely cannot just go into a draft thinking "WE MUST DRAFT A QUARTERBACK." Especially when you've already got one who isn't half bad. And, of course, this isn't to crown Fitz as a "franchise quarterback." I just think it's a better idea to be patient and build a solid roster than to reach for a guy because he plays the glamor position.

Comment

and the fact is... Trent Dilfer did win a Super Bowl. Or rather, the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer. The value of having a "star player" at the position can be, and sometimes is, overrated.

Comment

back in 05 the packers were 3-11 going into the last game. They beat the seahawks and lost a few positions in the draft. Gb would have probably still drafted Aj hawk third overall instead of fifth, at the time I didnt know this and remember having this exact argument with another Packer fan. I would rather see my team win because in alot of these situations, your team gets the same player. Granted, the bills sit. is alot different than that of the packers 5 years ago and they likely won't get a chance to draft luck, playing themselves out of the top 5. They will still be in a position to get a high impact rookie and save themselves millions in not having the first overall pick. I want to see my team win, i would never want to see my/any team tank to have a chance to draft ONE player.

On Andrew Luck
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.

Comment

Tanking is silly. Detroit has picked top five every year - it's done nothing for them.

You play to win the game - Herm said it best. If you're not playing to win, you're not playing.
                              Just play me, baby

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information