Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Detroit Just Lose Out on Both Cornerbacks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Detroit Just Lose Out on Both Cornerbacks?

As it stands right now the Lions have either the #9 or #10 pick in the draft. In front of them are Carolina, Denver, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Arizona, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, and potentially Minnesota. In bold are the teams I could see targeting a cornerback with their first-round pick. Right now, I have Peterson going #2 overall to Denver and Amukamara going #7 overall to Dallas. In addition, Denver, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Arizona, Houston, and Minnesota are teams that could also look into drafting a pass rusher such as Da'Quan Bowers or Robert Quinn, which looks like it could be one of Detroit's fallback options.

Who could Detroit look at if both cornerbacks are off the board? What about if both pass rushers are off the board as well? If I had to guess the team would look to trade down,but if they were not able to orchestrate a trade, they could draft an offensive tackle of some sort such as Southern Cal's Tyron Smith or Colorado's Nate Solder, who both have the kind of physical tools that could cause a team to draft them in the top ten.

If they draft Tyron Smith that high they just picked the bust of the 2011 draft. Id love to see Tyron Smith at 6'5 280 blocking Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews off the edge. He's gonna have to get bigger, and not just in the biceps. Tony Mandarich 2.0

Lions actually have a nice CB prospect in Aaron Berry that they think highly of and will want a better look at next season...Aaron Berry an UDFA out of Pitt who made the team, started at nickelback week 1, picked off a pass vs the Bears but went on IR the same week. They could have something there.

Comment

Dallas needs a safety more than a CB. Dallas might take prince at 7 if he's the BPA...right now i have Dallas taking Quinn.

As far as Det is concerned, they are probably going to win next week too. Pushing them even further back.

Comment

Kiper has Janoris Jenkins moving up his draft board as a third CB.

Scott, any thoughts on him?

I'd love to see a Lions trade down. I think it's actually plausible as a team moves up to grab a Quarterback near the 10 spot.

If we're stuck picking around 10 with both the top corners off the board, I'll be looking at Defensive Ends and Outside Linebackers. Would also be nice if an OT could move up through the combine.
        R.I.P. L.E.F.
        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
          Kiper has Janoris Jenkins moving up his draft board as a third CB.

Scott, any thoughts on him?

I'd love to see a Lions trade down. I think it's actually plausible as a team moves up to grab a Quarterback near the 10 spot.

If we're stuck picking around 10 with both the top corners off the board, I'll be looking at Defensive Ends and Outside Linebackers. Would also be nice if an OT could move up through the combine.
          I see Smith and Solder as the two most likely movers at the combine. Both should test extremely well and we all know teams fall in love with those prospects every year. As a sleeper pick, what about Akeem Ayers? There have been a few linebackers chosen earlier than expected in recent drafts and Ayers seems like he'd be a good fit in Detroit's defense.

Comment

Right now us Lions fans really don't care. We haven't won very many game over the past decade so we are enjoying every win we can get. If we win next week, we'll finish 6-10 which would be our second best record since 2000. It has been that bad for us these past 10 years.

Comment

They could go after Richard Marshall in FA

Comment

Yeah, the Lions will likely spend on one significant free agent this offseason the way they did with Burleson or Vanden Bosch last summer.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

If they get the 10th pick, they will likely miss out on their top 4 options. That would be quite unfortunate for them. Backus has been good this year, so they don't really need a LT. They would have to target a RT, an OLB, a CB, or a DE. But the value at those 4 positions might be pretty ******. Would they potentially take a value pick like Justin Blackmon to compliment CJ? That offense would be down right scary.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                  Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

I fail to see why the Lions would target an offensive tackle in the 1st round. Anyone who has watched the team this year knows that Jeff Backus is having a Pro Bowl caliber season at left tackle and Gosder Cherilus has been pretty solid at right tackle. Even our back-up right tackle Cory Hilliard has held his own against Clay Matthews and Cameron Wake when forced into the lineup due to Gosder's injury. I know Jeff Backus only has one year left on his contract and is already 34 years old. We are going to need a replacement for him eventually. I just can't imagine drafting a tackle with the intentions of him taking over in 2012 when you have the second worst secondary in football, major liabilities at both outside linebacker spots, and one of the worst starting right guards in the league. Martin Mayhew generally drafts best player available (as long as it is at least somewhat a need) and it is very doubtful that a tackle is going to be the best player available when we pick.

The Lions are going to be hard to predict until after the Senior Bowl and Combine. A corner like Brandon Harris, Janoris Jenkins, Jimmy Smith (less likely) could possibly raise their stock high enough to be drafted in the top 15. A linebacker like Akeem Ayers or Greg Jones could also shoot up draft boards with impressive workouts.

Comment

These are the situations I am always talking about.

Was it worth losing out on a premier player at your #1 position of need for one meaningless win?
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                        These are the situations I am always talking about.

Was it worth losing out on a premier player at your #1 position of need for one meaningless win?
                        Yes, yes it was. The Lions are 37-122 over the last 10 seasons. They were 2-31 in the 33 games prior to this seasons. I bet if you watched your team go through a 2-31 stretch (starting with a 19-game losing streak), you wouldn't think any win is meaningless.

Comment

Yeah, I wanted the win. After 10 years of picking top 10, I really don't give a damn anymore about draft positioning. I feel confident in Martin Mayhew's drafting ability and the same could not be said for the past decade or more.
                          R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

I'd love to see it shake out something like:

Round 1 - Cornerback
                            Round 2 - Offensive guard
                            Round 3 - Outside linebacker

Hopefully there will be players of value on the board at those positions at the right time.
                            R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Detroit could always move up if they wanted. They need draft picks but they have a better foundation now and it wouldn't cripple them to move up. I'd also be comfortable drafting Brandon Harris or Janoris Jenkins in the mid 1st.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information