4-3 DEs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-3 DEs

Any good 4-3 DEs coming out that will most likely be a DE in a 4-3 and not a LB in a 3-4? Guys that will actually produce like Chris Long, Charles Johnson, Matt Shaugnessy, Carlos Dunlap, etc. even if it takes 3-4 years.

There haven't been many dominant 4-3 DEs in the past 4 drafts...a lot of busts like Derrick Harvey and Everette Brown though.

bowers is a pure 43 DEnd, quinn fits best at 43 DEnd imho and there are a bunch of guys like kerrigan who can play both 43 DEnd and 34 olb

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
    - Corner or Wideout in the first
    - No reaching
    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Bowers seems like a lock to be a 4-3 DE and a top 10 pick. Adrian Clayborn is another example who looks to be a top 25 pick. JJ Watt's best position IMO is as a DE in the 4-3 and maybe he rises

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
      @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Adrian Clayborn is certainly one.

I also think that Ryan Kerrigan's best fit would be as a 4-3 DE. Would he be a bad 3-4 OLB? No...but it's not his best fit I don't think.

Comment

How would you rank these guys as prospects to the top 4-3 DE prospects in the past 3 to 4 drafts? Like Derrick Harvey, Everette Brown, Chris Long, etc.?

Comment

Ehh, I wasn't big on Derrick Harvey, or Jarvis Moss for that matter. Lanky "athletic" DEs in the 4-3 tend to struggle a bit. So I had them rated lower that others I think and so far, they haven't disproved me.

I had Everette rated as a late first rounder, so he slipped a bit, but I thought he could be like a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The jury is still out on him for now.

So if I were including this year's 4-3 DE prospects, I think I'd rank them like:

1.) Chris Long
            2.) DaQuan Bowers
            3.) Adrian Clayborn
            4.) Ryan Kerrigan
            5.) Everette Brown
            6.) Derrick Harvey (like I said, I just wasn't a fan...)

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
              Ehh, I wasn't big on Derrick Harvey, or Jarvis Moss for that matter. Lanky "athletic" DEs in the 4-3 tend to struggle a bit. So I had them rated lower that others I think and so far, they haven't disproved me.

I had Everette rated as a late first rounder, so he slipped a bit, but I thought he could be like a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The jury is still out on him for now.

So if I were including this year's 4-3 DE prospects, I think I'd rank them like:

1.) Chris Long
              2.) DaQuan Bowers
              3.) Adrian Clayborn
              4.) Ryan Kerrigan
              5.) Everette Brown
              6.) Derrick Harvey (like I said, I just wasn't a fan...)
              What did you think of Carlos Dunlap as a prospect? Isn't he a bit lanky for his size too?

I find DE to be one of the most difficult to gauge and predict and haven't been successful at it at all. At least not in the past 3 to 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by whatadai View Post
                What did you think of Carlos Dunlap as a prospect? Isn't he a bit lanky for his size too?

I find DE to be one of the most difficult to gauge and predict and haven't been successful at it at all. At least not in the past 3 to 4 years.
                Dunlap was about 280 coming out iirc....a good deal heavier than Harvey or Moss at the same time.

I wasn't too big of fan of his due to his questionable motor. A non-stop motor is something I want in all of my defensive players. Physically, he had the whole package and has been showing flashes of it in Cincy. If he had a consistent motor, he would have been a sure fire top 15 pick with his measureables.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  Dunlap was about 280 coming out iirc....a good deal heavier than Harvey or Moss at the same time.

I wasn't too big of fan of his due to his questionable motor. A non-stop motor is something I want in all of my defensive players. Physically, he had the whole package and has been showing flashes of it in Cincy. If he had a consistent motor, he would have been a sure fire top 15 pick with his measureables.
                  How about Kerrigan? Do you think he'll be too lanky to succeed as a 4-3 DE? If he bulked up to 280, if he really is 6'4", would he still be successful as a 4-3 DE?

Comment

Allen Bailey
                    Kind of like JPP in terms of being a project and amazing raw talent.

Comment

Originally posted by whatadai View Post
                      How about Kerrigan? Do you think he'll be too lanky to succeed as a 4-3 DE? If he bulked up to 280, if he really is 6'4", would he still be successful as a 4-3 DE?
                      Kerrigan isn't exactly what Id' call lanky. I called Harvey (6'5 255 iirc around draft time) and Moss (6'7 252 now, don't remember what he was at draft time) lanky because I feel they were tall without the bulk behind it.

Kerrigan at 6'4 263 (listed) has a little bit better bulk, and you can see it with the eye test as well. He plays sound and strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information