Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-3 DEs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4-3 DEs

    Any good 4-3 DEs coming out that will most likely be a DE in a 4-3 and not a LB in a 3-4? Guys that will actually produce like Chris Long, Charles Johnson, Matt Shaugnessy, Carlos Dunlap, etc. even if it takes 3-4 years.

    There haven't been many dominant 4-3 DEs in the past 4 drafts...a lot of busts like Derrick Harvey and Everette Brown though.

  • #2
    bowers is a pure 43 DEnd, quinn fits best at 43 DEnd imho and there are a bunch of guys like kerrigan who can play both 43 DEnd and 34 olb


    Saints 2014 draft wish list:
    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
    - Corner or Wideout in the first
    - No reaching
    - No Kelvin Benjamin

    Comment


    • #3
      Bowers seems like a lock to be a 4-3 DE and a top 10 pick. Adrian Clayborn is another example who looks to be a top 25 pick. JJ Watt's best position IMO is as a DE in the 4-3 and maybe he rises


      "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
      @SirStackAlot707

      Comment


      • #4
        Adrian Clayborn is certainly one.

        I also think that Ryan Kerrigan's best fit would be as a 4-3 DE. Would he be a bad 3-4 OLB? No...but it's not his best fit I don't think.

        Comment


        • #5
          How would you rank these guys as prospects to the top 4-3 DE prospects in the past 3 to 4 drafts? Like Derrick Harvey, Everette Brown, Chris Long, etc.?

          Comment


          • #6
            Ehh, I wasn't big on Derrick Harvey, or Jarvis Moss for that matter. Lanky "athletic" DEs in the 4-3 tend to struggle a bit. So I had them rated lower that others I think and so far, they haven't disproved me.

            I had Everette rated as a late first rounder, so he slipped a bit, but I thought he could be like a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The jury is still out on him for now.

            So if I were including this year's 4-3 DE prospects, I think I'd rank them like:

            1.) Chris Long
            2.) DaQuan Bowers
            3.) Adrian Clayborn
            4.) Ryan Kerrigan
            5.) Everette Brown
            6.) Derrick Harvey (like I said, I just wasn't a fan...)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
              Ehh, I wasn't big on Derrick Harvey, or Jarvis Moss for that matter. Lanky "athletic" DEs in the 4-3 tend to struggle a bit. So I had them rated lower that others I think and so far, they haven't disproved me.

              I had Everette rated as a late first rounder, so he slipped a bit, but I thought he could be like a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The jury is still out on him for now.

              So if I were including this year's 4-3 DE prospects, I think I'd rank them like:

              1.) Chris Long
              2.) DaQuan Bowers
              3.) Adrian Clayborn
              4.) Ryan Kerrigan
              5.) Everette Brown
              6.) Derrick Harvey (like I said, I just wasn't a fan...)
              What did you think of Carlos Dunlap as a prospect? Isn't he a bit lanky for his size too?

              I find DE to be one of the most difficult to gauge and predict and haven't been successful at it at all. At least not in the past 3 to 4 years.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by whatadai View Post
                What did you think of Carlos Dunlap as a prospect? Isn't he a bit lanky for his size too?

                I find DE to be one of the most difficult to gauge and predict and haven't been successful at it at all. At least not in the past 3 to 4 years.
                Dunlap was about 280 coming out iirc....a good deal heavier than Harvey or Moss at the same time.

                I wasn't too big of fan of his due to his questionable motor. A non-stop motor is something I want in all of my defensive players. Physically, he had the whole package and has been showing flashes of it in Cincy. If he had a consistent motor, he would have been a sure fire top 15 pick with his measureables.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  Dunlap was about 280 coming out iirc....a good deal heavier than Harvey or Moss at the same time.

                  I wasn't too big of fan of his due to his questionable motor. A non-stop motor is something I want in all of my defensive players. Physically, he had the whole package and has been showing flashes of it in Cincy. If he had a consistent motor, he would have been a sure fire top 15 pick with his measureables.
                  How about Kerrigan? Do you think he'll be too lanky to succeed as a 4-3 DE? If he bulked up to 280, if he really is 6'4", would he still be successful as a 4-3 DE?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Allen Bailey
                    Kind of like JPP in terms of being a project and amazing raw talent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by whatadai View Post
                      How about Kerrigan? Do you think he'll be too lanky to succeed as a 4-3 DE? If he bulked up to 280, if he really is 6'4", would he still be successful as a 4-3 DE?
                      Kerrigan isn't exactly what Id' call lanky. I called Harvey (6'5 255 iirc around draft time) and Moss (6'7 252 now, don't remember what he was at draft time) lanky because I feel they were tall without the bulk behind it.

                      Kerrigan at 6'4 263 (listed) has a little bit better bulk, and you can see it with the eye test as well. He plays sound and strong.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X

                      Debug Information