3-4 Linemen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4 Linemen

Discussion on all the positions on a 3-4 line, and the prospects for those.
    Also I'd love if people can give comparisons to players in the league, plus the round where they will probably be drafted in.

Personally, I'm curious about Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson. Big body, and good speed. I think this guy could be as good as Dareus, but I haven't even heard his name in 1st or 2nd. Any more info about him/possible round to draft him in?

JJ Wat from Wisconsin. Ferocious defensive lineman with an interesting mix of physical attributes and pass-rush moves. My personal favorite. He'd dominate in any defensive scheme. I rate him higher than most, who have him lined up as a fringe first rounder.

Nick Fairley, Auburn. Currently the most dominating defensive lineman in the country. If he declares, which I'm sure he'll do, people have him pegged as a top 10-15 prospect.

Cameron Heyward, Ohio St. A guy that's been on the draft radar since his sophomore year, he's put together a very fine resume during his time in Ohio. Another probably top 10-15 talent.

Christian Ballard, Iowa. Not as 'flashy' as his linemate, Clayborn, but he'd be the perfect 3-4 DE. He'll do what's asked, he's a hard worker, and may even have the frame to add a few pounds on and move to the inside. Some have him inked as a late second rounder, which he could very well earn if he has a good combine.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

Cameron Jordan.

That is all you need to know.

Comment

I was impressed with Jared Crick this year without Suh. The numbers were there and offenses tried to stay away from his side of the field. He plays with a little bit of an edge too, almost to the point of being a late hitter. Personally i think you might be better off with a Crick early in the second as opposed to someone more touted earlier in the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          I was impressed with Jared Crick this year without Suh. The numbers were there and offenses tried to stay away from his side of the field. He plays with a little bit of an edge too, almost to the point of being a late hitter. Personally i think you might be better off with a Crick early in the second as opposed to someone more touted earlier in the first.
          The depth is certainly there for DEs in this draft. If I were gonna draft him in the early second, I might just wait for one of the other fringe first rounders to fall. JJ Watt, Cam Jordan, maybe even Adrian Clayborn when its all said and done.
          "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Crick, but if you look at it, with the 3-4 DE class that we have this year, just plain and simple, someone's gotta fall. All of these guys that can play the 3-4 DE spot are being touted as 1st rounders...

Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley, DaQuan Bowers (He's not a perfect fit at the 3-4 DE spot, but he's more than capable of playing it, and he could really do some damage there.), Allen Bailey, Cam Jordan, Cam Heyward, JJ Watt, Jared Crick, Clayborn, Corey Luiget, Muhamad Wilkerson, Lawrence Guy, and Marvin Austin, with some of them being more like 2nd rounders (Guy, Wilkerson, Austin, Crick). Theres no chance all those guys go in the top 2 rounds IMO, so someone's gotta give.

Comment

Bowers would almost certainly play standing up in a 30 front.

I don't think Allen Bailey would be a great fit either, I think he needs to play SDE in a 40 front in order to be effective. When you watch him playing inside at tackle he isn't as effective, which gives me the impression that he wouldn't be as effective if you were to use him in a 30 front.

One guy i'am extremely high on, and I doubt he will declare this year is Michigan DT Mike Martin. He may not be the prototype, and even though he plays nose in Michigan's 30 front I believe he could succeed in the NFL as both a 34 DE and a 1 gapping Nose in the same front.

Martin has a fantastic first step, one of the best penetrators in the country as well as some of the strongest hands.

I think if Mike were to declare this year he'd be taken in the first 50 selections.

Comment

Yes, Bowers would play in a 2 point stance in a 34 front, not with his hand down. Thing is he probably isn't best suited for that defense, but in a system like New England or Cleveland runs he is nice and big and strong and a helluva pass rusher so he could conceivably be a guy teams like that target (the Browns strongly considered Derrick Morgan last year to play OLB for and he is a similar type of DE).

Fairley would be a good 3 technique in a 4-3, or he could be a terrorizing DE in 1 gap 3 man front, but in a 2 gap 3 man front where his role is to occupy blockers and take on double teams his talent would be wasted. A 2 gap team would love to have his talent on their line, but he wouldn't be valued by a team like that like he would by a 4-3 team. If I were a 4-3 team I'd take Fairley with a top 5 pick without even thinking about it, but a 3-4 team would get better value taking a guy like that in the 10-15 range. If I'm a 2 gap 3-4 team then I look at Heyward, Jordan, and especially Watt as better fits, and much better values.

Comment

Well here is another question.
                  If you are a team that is going to use a 3-4. You have a top 5 pick. Do you go after Fairley? Is he going to be a huge player in that position? If I was a 4-3 team, I would be jumping up in joy, but I'm wondering if it is worth drafting a 3-4 DE in the top 5.
                  I mean obviously a guy like Haloti Ngata can have a huge impact on a defense but...is Fairley going to be that huge of an impact as a 3-4 DE.

Comment

Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                    Well here is another question.
                    If you are a team that is going to use a 3-4. You have a top 5 pick. Do you go after Fairley? Is he going to be a huge player in that position? If I was a 4-3 team, I would be jumping up in joy, but I'm wondering if it is worth drafting a 3-4 DE in the top 5.
                    I mean obviously a guy like Haloti Ngata can have a huge impact on a defense but...is Fairley going to be that huge of an impact as a 3-4 DE.
                    Dont see Failey in the Ngata class. If i'm loooking for a 3-4 DE i'm hoping for Watt, Jordan, Crick or Heywood at the top of the second round.

Comment

Dareus has the best potential by far, I really think he could be disruptive at the end spot. The only concern is effort. He will be as good as he wants to be, he could boom or bust depending on if he wants that second contract.

Comment

I haven't seen Jordan play much but from what I've read he seems like a really incredible prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                          I haven't seen Jordan play much but from what I've read he seems like a really incredible prospect.
                          Jordan looks solid but i'd be hesitant to take him over guys like Clayborn, Fairley or Dareus and probably even Watt.

Comment

I really think that Dareus is the most talented DL in the class outside of Quinn.

I like him in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

Comment

I live in Waco, TX, so Baylor is the local team. I like their senior DT Phil Taylor. Scott has already done a short write up on him, which is excellent as usual. http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...hil-Taylor.php

The thing that stands out to me is the hands. There are a lot of huge, powerful men at the NT position. What sets them apart are the extremities: hands and feet. Feet are the source of power to brace and push. Hands are what keep the OL from doing likewise. He will not time well, and his stamina at the next level is an issue, but Taylor's hands make him one to watch.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information