Aldon Smith, DE / OLB, Missouri

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldon Smith, DE / OLB, Missouri

Hey, as a Bucs fan, I am evaluating and looking for some insight on some DE prospects. Aldon Smith is one guy I have seen on insider reports of the Bucs scouting heavily during the offseason. I know this guy is super talented, but seems a bit raw. Anyone watch/seen him play? Any scouting reports?

Thanks.

I wrote a blog entry about this guy back on October 4:

Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Reminds me of JPP.

Comment

What is your take on him now? That article has been posted 3 months ago though.

Comment

Not as productive as you would like, but he has an excellent get-off... but the most impressive thing for me is that several times he submarined his blocker to get a shot at the ball carrier and on two different occasions (iin his bowl game) really displayed violent, powerful hands, knocking his OL aside. I'm far more impressed with Smith than Iowa's Clayborn, who looks like a 3T or 5T at best.

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
            Not as productive as you would like, but he has an excellent get-off... but the most impressive thing for me is that several times he submarined his blocker to get a shot at the ball carrier and on two different occasions (iin his bowl game) really displayed violent, powerful hands, knocking his OL aside. I'm far more impressed with Smith than Iowa's Clayborn, who looks like a 3T or 5T at best.
            I like SMith too, but I still think he's too raw to be successful at the NFL level in 2011. I think he needs another year at the college ranks. Some RS sophomores don't succeed in the NFL because they make the jump to quickly and not ready. Aaron Maybin is a prime example. Not sure about Smith's maturity issues and personality, as that has a lot to do when making that jump besides the development as a player.

Comment

I want him with the #33 overall pick.

Comment

I am a huge Smith fan. A Top 15-20 overall talent if he comes out this year.

In fact, I like him so much he could even be my #3 draft-eligible defensive end.
                Scott Wright, President
                Draft Countdown.com
                www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Reiff absolutely contained him all game in the insight bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
                    Just ship Reiff right to the HoF, IMO.

Comment

he will be a buc

Comment

with Gabbert gone, I am sure Smith will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
                          No he didn't. Smith had some good rushes, and he was probably the one that got absolutely trashed twice by a hard right hand to the shoulder.

All I've focused on during EVERY single bowl game which I've DVRed and watched (except SMU-Army---or was it GTech-Navy... any way) is DE and LB play.... and Smith looked very good in the game, he was far stronger than I thought he'd be and his get-off was as good as expected. He looked very good to me.

Comment

I guess you could say Reiff 'contained' him but I attribute that more to Iowa's game plan and success on the ground. There were several plays where Smith just tossed him to the side and either blew up a run play or got to the QB's face. He was actually quite impressive with his toughness against the run, and we all know about his edge speed but his inside move was a huge success against Reiff. I take Aldon right behind Robert Quinn when it comes to rushing off the edge (3-4 OLB).

Comment

He really just gets by on his athleticism at this point, doesn't have much of a pass rushing repertoire, but there is too much potential for him to slip out of the first round. He's 6-5 260 with a great first step and can probably afford to put on more weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information