My Andrew Luck Manifesto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Andrew Luck Manifesto

This started as a hasty viewpoint to prove that every prospect has "flaws", but I really think I hit something here.

I took a running tally of every single pass play that Andrew Luck had. Results:

Passes within 10 yards (where it was caught, YAC in parenthesis).
    7 yards
    7 yards
    2 yards
    6 (15)
    -5 {safety}
    4 yard
    6 yard
    10 yard
    1 yard (17)
    5 yard (13)

two incomplete passes, on underthrown crossing routes (1 dropped INT, One dropped by Stanford WR)
    10/12 for 45 yards (+45 yac)

11+ down the field:
    This is split up into two categories
    Wide Open:
    25 yard TD to TE
    42 yard TD to TE
    39 yard TD to TE

so when WR's are wide open (no DB within 5 yards):
    3/3 for 106 and 3 TD's

Contested throws:
    14 yard PA rollout (good throw)
    12 yard Rollout (low, almost skipped off the ground)
    11 yard Rollout (forced by pressure)(good throw)
    18 yard corner route (40 yac) easy throw and TD.
    Underthrown comeback route 15 yards down field from pocket
    Underthrown Go route in 1st Q
    Throw into coverage, INT.

So contested throws:
    4/7 55 yards (40 yac) 1 TD 1 INT

So if you take out his wide open, every D-I QB in the nation can make this throw passes, he is 14/19 for 100 yard (85 after catch) for 1 TD and 1 INT.

Sounds like a certain QB prospect who was also projected really high, but fell into the 20's without anyone knowing why, and now he is holding a clipboard somewhere. Brady Quinn, aka Captain Checkdown, had a bunch of games like this, where he had a high completion percentage making easy throws to (edit:) above average TE play and above average WR's, behind an above average offensive line.

Disclaimer: If this game is not the norm, (vaguely remember two years of this vs UW) I will accept that. I have a feeling though this is a pauper surrounded by Royalty, not a Prince.
    Last edited by jballa838; 01-05-2011, 12:17 AM.
    CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
    JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

If anyone broke down a Washington game this way they'd be blown away by the amount of drops.

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
      If anyone broke down a Washington game this way they'd be blown away by the amount of drops.
      and # of times he throws the ball away, something Luck is not willing to do, nor is he forced to do more than once a game.
      CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
        and # of times he throws the ball away, something Luck is not willing to do, nor is he forced to do more than once a game.
        How about the luxury of setting his feet and looking downfield. Have you ever seen Locker do that? Luck does that every play...he can read a book in that pocket.

Comment

I know you wrote all this down. But when you took into account the yardage he threw it, did you count from scrimmage or from where he actually threw it?

Also that safety was a deflection, come on man.

The TD to Zack something, there was a DB right on his back.
          Last edited by brat316; 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
            I know you wrote all this down. But when you took into account the yardage he threw it, did you count from scrimmage or from where he actually threw it?

Also that safety was a deflection, come on man.
            counted it from scrimmage. it's easier that way, though not as efficient. I have full notes of the pass play, and whether or not he was in the pocket, if that helps.

and on the TD: Safety was near other hash, so he had the entire hash area to lead him, and the DB was trailing by enough to where it was a judgment call on where to put it.
            Last edited by jballa838; 01-04-2011, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
              counted it from scrimmage. it's easier that way, though not as efficient. I have full notes of the pass play, and whether or not he was in the pocket, if that helps.
              I was thinking along the lines of arm strength, while your showing completion and passes. Carry on.

3rd TE TD there was a guy there also.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                I was thinking along the lines of arm strength, while your showing completion and passes. Carry on.

3rd TE TD there was a guy there also.
                in retrospect, i probably should have put where he threw from and where the WR was. The 3rd TD was in the contested throws category. The 3 uncontested ones where the 2 wide open ones and the 3rd where he split a cover two that was between the hashes and the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
                  How about the luxury of setting his feet and looking downfield. Have you ever seen Locker do that? Luck does that every play...he can read a book in that pocket.
                  Except for all the times when he steps up in the pocket, feels the rush starting to get there, keeps his eyes downfield and hits a receiver.

Or the 3rd down play when he had a guy draped all over him and as he was running backwards he threw a perfectly accurate strike to his receiver.

The first part of this thread should say:

**Disclaimer** The purpose of this thread is to compare Andrew Luck to Brady Quinn.

Which is beyond ridiculous.

As is comparing Luck to Locker.

Any unbiased observer would tell you simply by watching the two bowl games that one is not even in the conversation with the other as an NFL prospect.
                  "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

who would you compare him to if andrew luck went 5/16 and threw a bunch of passes similar to the one 3rd down sideline pass early in the game?

Comment

He was put in good spots, yes.

Execution was mostly on point in those plays. You get some credit for that. It just doesn't happen like in a videogame with a button press a monkey could do.

A couple real nice plays. A couple bad.

When a guy is limited in age and experience it is easier to expect the good to maintain or get better while the bad is improved upon.

Comment

I remember Jake Locker having a wide receiver wide open in the end zone in his bowl game that any quarterback in division I-A, I-AA and I'm guessing most of II and III could have thrown to

Locker decided to tuck the ball and run. He got stuffed at the 2 yard line

Comment

One big difference when it comes to accuracy...

Luck>>>>>>>>>Quinn

If you watch their mechanics you can tell Luck is way more fluid while Quinn looks like a robot.

Comment

Stanford is the best coached team in the country, tonight showed that. The level of preparation on their part really shines through. Luck is absolutely part of that though and I really don't think you're trying to take away anything from him as much as play devils advocate to the people who think he walks on water(which we need more of, always). The Brady Quinn thing is interesting. I'll admit, I thought similar things about Brady Quinn that I currently think about Luck and that's a pretty good example of why he may fail. I don't think he will in the end, but it's interesting and a good reminder that there's no such thing as a perfect prospect even though we're always looking for one. His supporting cast is tremendous. Stanford is loaded everywhere on offense. Great runningbacks, great tight ends, and great receivers. Everyone on that team buys into Luck and Harbaugh...and why shouldn't they? Truly an NFL style approach at Stanford, particularly on offense. Easily my favorite program in the country right now and it's a shame it's going to be blown up. One thing to remember though is that great quarterbacks make everything look better than it actually is. Is the Stanford offensive line as good as it is without Luck's footwork and ability to feel the rush? Are those receivers just as good without being thrown open? How about the tight ends? It all works and clicks so well together(something we don't often see in college football where the plan is often to get the fastest guys on the field and go from there), but Harbaugh is right when he says Luck is the straw that stirs the drink.

I don't know how anyone can walk away from this game without being impressed. Showed everything you want in a quarterback. Great natural feel for the position, that's the biggest thing. He's seemingly able to anticipate everything on the field at once. Sees the field very well and understands the nuances of playing the position. Someone mentioned it in the college football forum, but when he moves around, it's not always to buy time. It's to get a better angle on throwing the ball. He has the best footwork in college football and he'll come in to the NFL right away as one of the most technically proficient quarterbacks in the league.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                              I remember Jake Locker having a wide receiver wide open in the end zone in his bowl game that any quarterback in division I-A, I-AA and I'm guessing most of II and III could have thrown to

Locker decided to tuck the ball and run. He got stuffed at the 2 yard line
                              Hahaha, yeah I remember seeing that too and wondering what the hell he was thinking.
                              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                              RIP themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information