Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Really Five 1st Round Worthy QB's In This Draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Really Five 1st Round Worthy QB's In This Draft?

OK...many teams in the top half of the draft could use a better QB than the one they have now. No question about that.

But you see lots of talk about how Luck, Gabbert, Mallett, Newton, and Locker are all likely to be selected in the first half of the first round of this draft, assuming they all declare to be eligible. My question is, are these guys all really that good, or are they only projected this highly because so many teams need a QB? If so many teams didn't need help at QB, would they still be looked at as 1st round talent?

I remember lots of early talk last offseason about how Clausen was a top ten pick, McCoy top half of round one, yet look where they wound up going. Many thought Tebow was a 3rd round or later project.

Are there really five franchise quality QBs in the first round of this draft, or do we have one franchise guy, one average guy, and three busts/backups?

One or two can fall out. Mallett seems to be tanking due to character concerns and Newton might experience the same fate depending on how he handles the process. If Locker sucks at the Senior Bowl he'll drop too

Comment

What are Mallett's character concerns?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

it's all smoke but there's questions about his intelligence, the "type of guy" he is and drug concerns

Comment

Yeah, but the question is "Are they that good"?, or are all of them except Luck (and maybe including him) just huge gambles...yeah, their game might translate to the pro game, maybe not....

Comment

I only see 4 1st round qb's. Mallet being the 1 left out. Like another poster said his character issues are a problem and i'm not into spreading rumours without concrete facts but usually where there is smoke there is fire and I wouldnt touch this kid with a 10foot pole.

Comment

I think there's a good chance. Even with all the questions about Mallett, Locker, Newton, and Gabbert, I'd be surprised if any of them fall completely out of the first. Even if some of them start to fall into the 20s, I'd be surprised if teams don't start to trade up. Should be interesting to say the least and who knows, maybe this turns into the best QB class since 1983, its on his way with one 'best QB prospect ever' guy and multiple others that are being considered elite even though they all have different tool sets and strengths/weaknesses.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I have come away pretty impressed with Mallet. I think his character concerns are overblown. He has performed well this season. Based on physical attributes and upside I think he warrants mid-to late first round consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
                  What are Mallett's character concerns?
                  I have heard that he is a fan of cocaine. Also, he is from Texarkana, TX (a place I unfortunately lived for a year), which is home to a lot of meth. Drug and intelligence concerns are all over the place. Not sure if anything has been proven. But with so much smoke, there is bound to be fire somewhere.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                  Bortlezzzzzzz
                  Originally posted by Monomach
                  Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

I think talent wise there are 5 capable of going in the first and i think the combine and Senior Bowl (For Locker) will validate that. There may be a huge drop for someone like in 83 when Marino went late in the first because of smoking weed but on a pure talent basis i would say most definitely.

This isnt a group that has some undersized guy that has put up gaudy numbers, all these players are 6-3 and 230lbs and up and they all have arms capable of making all the pro throws. Very bullish on this group.

It is odd to have so many but you're basically draining the pipe line of 3 years of players, Locker being a senior down to Luck being a sophomore. It'll get very sparse next year furthering the need to get one now.

Comment

Next year could be dire. The top senior QB would be...Kirk Cousins? Pryor? Obviously a Barkley or Landry Jones type would declare early to take advantage of that but still

Comment

Gabbert is still a 2nd round pick for me. If he has some great workouts though he could sneak into the late 1st

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                        @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                          I have heard that he is a fan of cocaine. Also, he is from Texarkana, TX (a place I unfortunately lived for a year), which is home to a lot of meth. Drug and intelligence concerns are all over the place. Not sure if anything has been proven. But with so much smoke, there is bound to be fire somewhere.
                          He's been arrested for cocaine possession before, and I've read multiple places that he's a big fan of the white lady.

Who knows though. Most people go through an experimental phase in college. I think you'd be suprised by the amount of guys that do some serious drugs.

Random thought, but I always wondered about Desean Jackson. He went to college at the drug capitol of the US and didn't gain a single pound from high school, despite being in a DI strength and conditioning program for four years.

Comment

Well there's the one guy everyone will agree is a stud franchise surefire #1 overall pick in Andrew Luck. After him there is Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett who aren't sure things and have a lot of question marks but have great tools and tremendous upside who will be first round picks just because teams won't pass up guys with the type of tools they have. Locker has tools but had an awful year and doesn't display the accuracy or passing skills of the previous three guys, I would be surprised if he snuck into the first round after the season he's had but crazier things have happened.

I think the thing with Mallett is his personality and the fact that hearing him talk is reminiscent of Lil' Kev from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Comment

big difference between smoking some weed and doing hard drugs

similar huge difference between having your WR doing hard drugs and your QB, too

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information