Strength Of This Year's Draft Class?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength Of This Year's Draft Class?

If one were to examine the overall draft class. Where are the strength and weaknesses of this class?

Strength:

Weakness:

If someone can fill that. Just general stuff. DE is a strength this year, right? What other positions are stacked up?

QB seems stacked

and Oline weak. at least at the top.

Comment

defensive line is absolutely loaded. Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Marcell Dareus, Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Corey Liuget, Stephen Paea, Drake Nevis, Adrian Clayborn are all potential first round picks this year (some of those guys have to declare since they are underclassmen though). Not to mention guys like Christian Ballard, Jabaal Sheard, Allen Bailey, Justin Houston, Jared Crick, and Sam Acho.

WR is good too. Green, Jones, Blackmon, Floyd, Baldwin, Broyles, Smith, Jerrigan, Titus Young, and Leonard Hankerson could be a really impressive top tier at WR.

Weaknesses are definitely TE and S. There isn't any first round safeties this year, though there are some good values in round 2 and 3 at safety. Not any elite offensive tackles this year either, though there are plenty of potential starting tackles to be had in rounds 1 and 2.

Comment

1st round QBs
        WR
        OT No elite ones but a lot of starters
        CB

Weak
        OG
        C
        S
        LB

Comment

The strongest, deepest positions in this draft are corner and wide receiver. Wherever you pick in any round, there should be a good value at either position.

And there are certainly some guys I like, but I'm not thrilled with this running back class.

Comment

qb seems to be pretty strong at the top with the potential for around 5 first rounders, but after that i think the talent drops off pretty drastically

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
              defensive line is absolutely loaded. Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Marcell Dareus, Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Corey Liuget, Stephen Paea, Drake Nevis, Adrian Clayborn are all potential first round picks this year (some of those guys have to declare since they are underclassmen though). Not to mention guys like Christian Ballard, Jabaal Sheard, Allen Bailey, Justin Houston, Jared Crick, and Sam Acho.

WR is good too. Green, Jones, Blackmon, Floyd, Baldwin, Broyles, Smith, Jerrigan, Titus Young, and Leonard Hankerson could be a really impressive top tier at WR.

Weaknesses are definitely TE and S. There isn't any first round safeties this year, though there are some good values in round 2 and 3 at safety. Not any elite offensive tackles this year either, though there are plenty of potential starting tackles to be had in rounds 1 and 2.
              I agree with all of this.

If this draft had a few better OL it would be an epic class. It's a really good draft.

This TE class is very weak, but wasn't last years considered kind of the same? I know this year's class is worse, but if you look at the rookie TEs this year in a "weak" class they have shined. The two in New England, Moeaki in KC, Graham in NO, and I am missing one that I can't think of.

Comment

Strengths:
                QB, WR, CB, DEnd

Neutral:
                OT, Safety, RB, DT

Down Year:
                Interior OLine, TE, LB

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                - Corner or Wideout in the first
                - No reaching
                - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                  I agree with all of this.

If this draft had a few better OL it would be an epic class. It's a really good draft.

This TE class is very weak, but wasn't last years considered kind of the same? I know this year's class is worse, but if you look at the rookie TEs this year in a "weak" class they have shined. The two in New England, Moeaki in KC, Graham in NO, and I am missing one that I can't think of.
                  You're probably thinking of Jermaine Gresham, the first TE taken.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                  Bortlezzzzzzz
                  Originally posted by Monomach
                  Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

QB is stacked...best since 04, but WR is legendary.

so weak at tackle after some monster classes, and this is one of the better CB classes ive seen.

i think this CB class with
                    patrick peterson
                    prince amukamara
                    janoris jenkins
                    brandon harris
                    aaron williams
                    jimmy smith
                    curtis brown
                    davon house
                    chris culliver
                    ras-i dowling

could be as good as 08 with

Dominique Rodger's Cromartie
                    Leodis McKelvin
                    Aqib Talib
                    Mike Jenkins
                    Antoine Cason
                    Brandon Flowers
                    Tracy Porter
                    Patrick Lee
                    Terrence Wheatley
                    Terell Thomas

dline- in particular 34 dline seems pretty stacked as well

RB seems weak as hell
                    E]

Comment

Strong:
                      - Dline is stacked
                      - WR

Good:
                      QB: Besides Andrew Luck, I don't know who really is elite. Maybe Gabbert, but the rest have question marks.
                      RB: pretty deep.
                      CB: It's not deep, but you can find some great players in the 1st two rounds if all the junior prospects end up declaring.

WEAK:
                      LB: No one really considered elite and honestly, don't see any 1st round prospects. A few might be good players in the NFL.
                      S: Really weak. I don't think any will be taken in round 1 either, but there are some sleepers, like Jarrett from Temple.
                      O-line: Don't really see any elite tackle prospects that warrant a top 10 grade like previous years. A lot of right tackle prospects and to be honest, the Guard class is better than the Tackle class.
                      TE: Only Kyle Rudolph and DJ Williams will be contributors in my opinion. Not a lot to choose from here though.

Comment

When you guys are saying "LB is weak" do you mean traditional 4-3 backers and 3-4 ILBs, or are you also commenting on the guys who will go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB?

Comment

I think its strong overall, when you have such legit guys at QB and D-Line, the 2 hardest positions to find then that says alot. Add in a loaded WR class.

The O-Line definitely lacks elite guys, but should be solid depth.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                            When you guys are saying "LB is weak" do you mean traditional 4-3 backers and 3-4 ILBs, or are you also commenting on the guys who will go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB?
                            I think outside of a few guys, that is even if they declare, the rest is full of backups/special teamers.

I think I might have left out a few 3-4 tweeners, but 4-3 LB's I think is stronger than 3-4 LB's. Honestly, Ayers declared and he will be a 3-4 pass rusher and might be a 1st rounder. I haven't really scouted 4-3 ends on how they will project to 3-4 OLB's because a few can play both. I don't like Von Miller at all and think he'll bust.

4-3 OLB, I think the best is Travis Lewis and thats it and I don't even know if he'll declare.

MLB's there could be a few in Sturdavent, Irving, and Sheppard. Greg Jones is a MLB-OLB tweener. I am just not really sold on the overall LB class.

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
                              I think outside of a few guys, that is even if they declare, the rest is full of backups/special teamers.

I think I might have left out a few 3-4 tweeners, but 4-3 LB's I think is stronger than 3-4 LB's. Honestly, Ayers declared and he will be a 3-4 pass rusher and might be a 1st rounder. I haven't really scouted 4-3 ends on how they will project to 3-4 OLB's because a few can play both. I don't like Von Miller at all and think he'll bust.

4-3 OLB, I think the best is Travis Lewis and thats it and I don't even know if he'll declare.

MLB's there could be a few in Sturdavent, Irving, and Sheppard. Greg Jones is a MLB-OLB tweener. I am just not really sold on the overall LB class.
                              There's also a bunch of guys that most people see as DEs, but would probably have no trouble converting to OLB like Quinn and Kerrigan. Those guys are both first rounders, I'm just wondering if people saying "LB is weak" are counting those guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information