A.J. Green to Carolina?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.J. Green to Carolina?

I know it's very early, but is it safe to say A.J. Green could potentially be the #1 overall pick to Carolina since Luck has made it official he will return to Stanford?

Another note I could also seeing Carolina target Gabbert because he seems to be a sure pick over the other top QBs or even Bowers to upgrade the pass rush.

Last edited by shylo3716; 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
    The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
    Newton
    South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
    Barely literate +5 swagger
    Thief +15 swagger
    Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
    Big, average speed -3 swagger
    Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
    Total Swagger: 62
    ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

I wouldn't take Gabbert over Locker. For as much as people want to talk about Locker's statistics, Gabbert's aren't any better on the whole, and that's without even considering system (Missouri throws more screens than just about anyone) and supporting cast. And point blank, Locker just looks better to me on the field.
    aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Gabbert is a much better pure passer than Locker. Locker is a great athlete and runner who has a long way to go before he's competent enough throwing the ball to be a starting QB in the NFL. He showed flashes in 2009 but he fell on his face with a bad 2010 season. That's a discussion for another time/place though. Gabbert has the great arm and can already make all the throws with fine accuracy, he just needs to become a more polished overall player with his footwork, decision making, leadership, etc.

It is definitely "safe to say" that Green could go #1. I think he's competing with Fairley, Bowers, and even Cam Newton for that spot. Newton is the only QB I see of potentially going #1 now that Luck is staying put.

Comment

can always count on locker being mentioned in any thread lol.

taking a WR #1 with the deal in the works will be way easier than it has been the last few years....i still think CB or DE would be considered a more premium position so peterson or bowers would be the more valued picks, but green is definitely a possibility
        E]

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
          Gabbert is a much better pure passer than Locker. Locker is a great athlete and runner who has a long way to go before he's competent enough throwing the ball to be a starting QB in the NFL. He showed flashes in 2009 but he fell on his face with a bad 2010 season. That's a discussion for another time/place though. Gabbert has the great arm and can already make all the throws with fine accuracy, he just needs to become a more polished overall player with his footwork, decision making, leadership, etc.

It is definitely "safe to say" that Green could go #1. I think he's competing with Fairley, Bowers, and even Cam Newton for that spot. Newton is the only QB I see of potentially going #1 now that Luck is staying put.

Really not seeing it to be honest. Gabbert just seems like the current flavor of the month to me and his arm and accuracy have never struck me as anything special. Jake Locker has definitely caused me to say "WOW" on more throws than Gabbert ever has.
          aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Locker doesn't have the accuracy or polish that Gabbert has throwing the ball downfield. The guy makes all the throws and makes it looks like he's not even trying when he fits the ball into tight spaces downfield. Locker is an athlete playing QB right now that was extremely raw his first two years and finally started to get better under Sarkisian, but has regressed a bit his senior year after showing so much improvement as a junior. I don't think you've watched enough of Gabbert if you don't see this.

Comment

Holy **** quit turning every thread into a Jake Locker argument. ****.

Comment

I think its a possibility, but more than likely I see either Bowers or Fairley. I think with the slam dunk QB being gone, the Panthers give Clausen another year and try to upgrade their overall talent level.

AJ Green is great but he's not that much better than the other WR's (I like Julio better) and certainly doesn't have the value at number 1 overall. This is such a deep WR class they could get a great guy later while upgrading at more important positions at number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                  Locker doesn't have the accuracy or polish that Gabbert has throwing the ball downfield. The guy makes all the throws and makes it looks like he's not even trying when he fits the ball into tight spaces downfield. Locker is an athlete playing QB right now that was extremely raw his first two years and finally started to get better under Sarkisian, but has regressed a bit his senior year after showing so much improvement as a junior. I don't think you've watched enough of Gabbert if you don't see this.
                  I've actually watched alot of Gabbert because I knew he'd be on the radar as an NFL prospect because of his size, and how highly thought of he was out of high school. Watched a ton of Gabbert the first half of last season.

His downfield throws are mostly the typical spread seam throws where he holds the linebackers with a play fake. I toss those in the trash because they aren't NFL throws. On the rest of his 15+ throws... meh. Nothing crazy. Accurate on some, inaccurate on others. The best thing about him that I can see is that he's mobile at that size and improvises well.
                  aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                    Holy **** quit turning every thread into a Jake Locker argument. ****.
                    Ok sorry. My last post on the subject. Yes, A.J. Green to Carolina seems good to me. They're the worst offensive team in the league, A.J. is the best offensive prospect in the draft.
                    aka KGB Chicken

Comment

I'd take Newton if I were them, but that's just me. It'll depend on the coach. If it's Fewell I think he takes a 3-tech in Fairley.

Comment

Newton would be such a risk at #1...

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
                          I've actually watched alot of Gabbert because I knew he'd be on the radar as an NFL prospect because of his size, and how highly thought of he was out of high school. Watched a ton of Gabbert the first half of last season.

His downfield throws are mostly the typical spread seam throws where he holds the linebackers with a play fake. I toss those in the trash because they aren't NFL throws. On the rest of his 15+ throws... meh. Nothing crazy. Accurate on some, inaccurate on others. The best thing about him that I can see is that he's mobile at that size and improvises well.
                          go watch the Insight Bowl agin. He puts on full display his crazy arm and accuracy. No question at all about his ability to make all the throws at the next level or his timing and accuracy. It's all between the ears with Gabbert. He just needs development before he becomes a franchise passer, and those NFL personnel evaluators will go gaga when they see him workout.

Comment

Its definately a possibility that the Panthers take Green #1. We all know that they desperately need help on the d-line, but their offense actually has potential. A good line with Gross and Otah, good backs in Stewart, Williams, and Goodson, what I think is going to be a good #2 reciever in Lafell, and Clausen still has the potential to develop into a good QB, plus there is always Matt Moore. Taking Green would help Clausen develop, which could mean a pretty dynamic Panthers offense. A.J. Green is definately in play for Carolina at #1.

Comment

I was on the way home today when I heard Luck was staying and at first I thought about Bowers... but then I considered the facts that Charles Johnson had something like 9.5 sacks in his last 8 games (or was that Von Miller?) and really showed he's becoming an excellent DE AND there is the possibility that the new coach comes in and likes what he sees, or just believes in Jimmy Clausen... and if that's the case, the next step would be to ger some weapons for him.... and AJ Green was the first name to pop into my mind.

If Clausen stays, then Clausen needs weapons, the Panthers lock up their RBs, keep Steve Smith and make him the #2 WR he's been wanting to be, and draft a #1 WR... and that would likely be Green.. even though I see Green impacting the NFL as more of a Keyshawn-type player than Randy Moss-type.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information