Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware

Had another impressive, efficient performance tonight in the FCS championship, and headed to East/West Shrine. So mechanically and fundamentally sound and very accurate, can make all the throws evwn though he doesn't have Flacco's arm. IMO this guy belongs right in the 2nd round discussion and will make a team very happy. Some of other guys have more flair or come from bigger programs but Devlin has a lot more potential to be a deadly accurate pocket passer in the right system.

i agree, but ours is not a popular opinion on the boards. go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by xcfan View Post
      i agree, but ours is not a popular opinion on the boards. go figure.
      Oh well. Popular opinion is pretty much limited to Cam Newton and Tyrod Taylor...go figure

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
        Oh well. Popular opinion is pretty much limited to Cam Newton and Tyrod Taylor...go figure
        Huh??

That's BS.
        Sounds like you have an agenda, JPP90.

What's ironic is that Locker fits right in perfectly in terms of physical tools and style of play you seem to detest in the other dual-threat QBs available in this draft.

Comment

Not a big fan of Devlin. I don't see much about him that screams NFL to me. Lots of underneath stuff, doesn't have to use his footwork. He does read defenses pretty well, but his arm strength is average and his accuracy in terms of ball placement is a little spotty in my opinion. He's not asked to throw the ball down the field like Flacco is and his receivers make most of the plays for him. Seen a lot of him lately and I expected to see so much more.

If you're taking a quarterback in the FCS as high as the second round, you expect them to be a bit more dominant than Devlin was. Not a bad guy to take in the second day, but I'm just not seeing the top three rounds like some people are. Mostly hype and people looking to find the next Flacco.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I still don't have any idea what kind of arm Devlin has.
            Last night it looked so-so.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
              I still don't have any idea what kind of arm Devlin has.
              Last night it looked so-so.
              That's about what it is. His arm strength is pretty overblown.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

He made some downfield throws last night that definentl ylooked adequate. Have a look at the Jets and Patriots offenses sometime...lots of "underneath stuff". It works. Mark Sanchez doesn't have a huge arm...people like him. Brady doesn't have a huge arm, he's just deadly accurate when he does go downfield. I saw a lot of these traits in him throughout the FCS playoffs. How can anyone say he's not that accurate too? Check the numbers...he's the most efficient QB probably at any level of college football this year. He threw 3 ints the entire season and 2 were tipped to defenders. Yes it has a lot to do with the offense but hey, like I said it works, and it works at the next level. Arms are overrated anyway..ask Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. Ill take a smart pocket QB with a lesser arm anyday.
                Last edited by JPP90; 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                  Not a big fan of Devlin. I don't see much about him that screams NFL to me. Lots of underneath stuff, doesn't have to use his footwork. He does read defenses pretty well, but his arm strength is average and his accuracy in terms of ball placement is a little spotty in my opinion. He's not asked to throw the ball down the field like Flacco is and his receivers make most of the plays for him. Seen a lot of him lately and I expected to see so much more.

If you're taking a quarterback in the FCS as high as the second round, you expect them to be a bit more dominant than Devlin was. Not a bad guy to take in the second day, but I'm just not seeing the top three rounds like some people are. Mostly hype and people looking to find the next Flacco.
                  Pretty spot on.....i wasnt all that impressed.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

"Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Efficiency and completion percentage have very little to do with ball placement and down the field accuracy when you get that inflated by throwing underneath a lot. In the Villanova game earlier in the year, I saw him put the ball to the wrong shoulder multiple times. Had he thrown it to the right spot, the receiver catches and runs for extra yardage. Saw a bit of that the other day as well, although not as much.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

he looks like a back up at best to me

not that that's a bad thing. he just doesn't have the tools to be a starter imo

Comment

Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                        Pretty spot on.....i wasnt all that impressed.
                        Nobodys impressed by anything but a Qb running for 100 yards a game. People love Terrelle Pryor, Tyrod Taylor and Cam Newton...hate Pat Devlin. Jump on the bandwagon when he makes it, that's all. He's not exciting but look around at what works a t the next level...the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Falcons....none of them are "exciting". They're smart, efficient and well-disciplined.

Comment

Except that Brady improved his arm strength in the NFL to the point I'd call it 'strong'.

Arm strength can be overrated in QBs, like 40 times for RBs. But a QB with a marginal pro arm has ZERO margin for error when he throws the football.

Big armed QBs don't have to be perfect with their reads or limited to swing passes/screens/10 yard comebacks or shallow crossing routes.
                          Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
                            Nobodys impressed by anything but a Qb running for 100 yards a game. People love Terrelle Pryor, Tyrod Taylor and Cam Newton...hate Pat Devlin. Jump on the bandwagon when he makes it, that's all. He's not exciting but look around at what works a t the next level...the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Saints, Falcons....none of them are "exciting". They're smart, efficient and well-disciplined.
                            This is quite possibly the worst response to legitimate criticism of a prospect ever. No one is grilling him for his legs or because he's "not exciting". Prospects like Devlin make it all the time and at a much greater frequency than running quarterbacks do and everyone knows that. No one cares about excitement. Just objectivity. Notice how everyone had Andrew Luck as their top quarterback prospect this year for the same reasons you listed.

If you don't like people disagreeing with you, start a blog.

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                            Except that Brady improved his arm strength in the NFL to the point I'd call it 'strong'.
                            Upper echelon, even. He's added 30+ pounds since coming into the NFL. Not a gun like Cutler of those types of guys, but it's probably the strongest out of the top five quarterbacks even.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Ok, but he isn't necessarily struggling in these areas. LikeI said, his arm looked fine to me. Amd he is similar in build to Brady so you could argue he has every bit a chance to get stronger at the next level.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information