San Fran QB Situation - Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Fran QB Situation - Thoughts?

Started thinking of this...Harbaugh wants a West Coast meaning a mobile QB who is accurate. Who can actually fit what they want??? You don't want to try to fit a square peg into the round hole.

1. Blaine Gabbert - Accurate and mobile, fits the WCO
    2. Ryan Mallett - Bad feet, not accurate more known for arm, doesnt fit WCO
    3. Cam Newton - He is mobile, but not acurate and not ready, they could tutor him for the future.
    4. Jake Locker - He is mobile but he is not accurate.
    5. Christian Ponder - Fits the WCO and can get him at rd 3-4, can he become a starter?

What about NFL players available
    1. Kevin Kolb - fits the WCO, but Eagles claim to want 2 #1's, is he worth 1?
    2. Donovan McNabb - Worked WCO in philly. Was it really the WCO? Not accurate
    3. Kyle Orton - A good stop gap for any team needing a stop gap
    4. Matt Hassellback - Read above
    5. Vince Young - LOL, but you never know

I think Gabbert would be the pick IF he falls to them, other than that I think they pass on all the other rookie QB's in round 1

Thoughts?
    Patriots Draft 2015
    1. CB - Marcus Peters
    2. WR - Sammie Coates
    3. RB - David Johnson
    3. DT - Angelo Blackson
    4. OG - Tre Jackson
    4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
    5. LB - Ben Heeney
    6. TE - Wes Saxton
    7. OG - Jose Matais

I would add Josh Johnson to the trade possibility list. He was the first quarterback Harbaugh developed and has shown a lot of potential in spots. Likely wouldn't require the compensation or premium draft pick the others would. Good stop gap that you could flip and get further value for while you find your quarterback.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I like Josh Johnson, too, but getting Kolb for less than 2 firsts seems like the best fit. I like watching Vince Young play (er....sometimes...), but I wouldn't want him on my team.

Comment

Judging from his offense at stanford I expect a run heavy/power formation/playaction version of the west coast and mallet would be the best fit (cam will go #3 imho) with his ability to get the ball downfield when the safties crowd the box. Not gonna be your traditional 3 step drop wco imho, not with that o.l., running back and head coach.....I would describe it more a power run/playaction offense with west coast tendacies, mallet is the best fit unless cam is available.

Comment

One of the things often mentioned in the Bay Area media about Jim Harbaugh is his scouting reports on quarterbacks while he was at Oakland. Apparently he wrote very accurate reports on quarterbacks like Tony Romo, David Garrard, and predicted Joey Harrington would be a bust.

This was also in a recent article.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...-might-fit-it/

During his talks last week with the 49ers, according to an NFL source, Harbaugh was very clear that he felt he could find a QB in the draft, and possibly wouldn’t even need to use the No. 7 overall pick to do it.

This is also a quote from Harbaugh describing his quarterback.

Athletic instincts, accuracy, timing, decision making, leadership, intelligence, and you could keep going on and on here, and they’re all important.
          -Jim Harbaugh
          So it sounds like he might actually gun for someone he likes in the mid-rounds over someone like Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert.

Also the GM came out and said the team is going to consider trading for a new quarterback.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-niners-w.html

Yeah, sorry long post that didn't really rule out a lot. I still think it would be hard to pass up a chance at franchise signal caller at #7 if one is there but I trust Harbaugh whatever route he wants to go involving a quarterback.

Comment

I've been thinking about this as well. My conclusion is:

The 49ers should pursue Donovan McNabb. They have lots of talent on offense, they just hadn't had a QB to take them to the next level. McNabb is a proven, underrated QB who still has a few good years in him. Good fit too.
            Obviously, McNabb isn't the QB for the future. Enter Christian Ponder. Ponder is made for the WCO: Intelligent, great intangibles, good mechanics, good precision and he's an underrated athlete. With a few years learning from McNabb I could see him taking over and being a fine NFL QB.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
            I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
              Started thinking of this...Harbaugh wants a West Coast meaning a mobile QB who is accurate. Who can actually fit what they want??? You don't want to try to fit a square peg into the round hole.

1. Blaine Gabbert - Accurate and mobile, fits the WCO
              2. Ryan Mallett - Bad feet, not accurate more known for arm, doesnt fit WCO
              3. Cam Newton - He is mobile, but not acurate and not ready, they could tutor him for the future.
              4. Jake Locker - He is mobile but he is not accurate.
              5. Christian Ponder - Fits the WCO and can get him at rd 3-4, can he become a starter?

What about NFL players available
              1. Kevin Kolb - fits the WCO, but Eagles claim to want 2 #1's, is he worth 1?
              2. Donovan McNabb - Worked WCO in philly. Was it really the WCO? Not accurate
              3. Kyle Orton - A good stop gap for any team needing a stop gap
              4. Matt Hassellback - Read above
              5. Vince Young - LOL, but you never know

I think Gabbert would be the pick IF he falls to them, other than that I think they pass on all the other rookie QB's in round 1

Thoughts?
              I'll argue that Gabbert's 63% in the pass happy, throw bubble screens Big-12 is no better than that of Newton and Mallett in the SEC or Locker for that matter throwing to average to below average receivers in the pac-10. Myself i'd go:

Mallett
              Locker (can easily move to the top with a stong post season)
              Gabbert
              Newton

My guess is Harbuagh would probably not go with any of these guys. My opinion of him is he probably thinks he can put anyone back there and he'll make them better.

Comment

Gabbert doesn't fell the hype IMO .He doesn't have the arm strength as Mallet or Locker does . He won't go in the first round nor do I want Newton , after the game last night he still has a lot of accuracy issues when he had all day to throw he still over threw WR who was wide open. I wouldn't take Kolb , Eagles want way to much for an overrated back up . McNabb I could less about hes getting up there in age and would be a stop gap and we would still have to draft a QB maybe in mid rounds like Stanzi or Dalton if we go sign him , only because he is gonna want way to much . I don't mind Mallet , loved him playing in the SEC games hes the tools and arm . So my top QB for the 49ers hopefully we either go after Locker , Mallet , Stanzi or Dalton draft wise . Then as far as FA wise , Orton or McNabb would be a fun stop gap .

Comment

Do you guys really think that Harbaugh would hitch his hopes on a veteran QB that he knew he couldn't develop and whose best days are behind him?

McNabb is a definte "NO"

Vince Young doesn't have the release and not likely the brains to be what Harbaugh would want in a QB

Josh Johnson has played far more snaps than ANY QB that Harbaugh has ever been around, including Andrew Luck. He threw 43 TDs to 1 INT in his senior year, you don't think Harbaugh is likely to forget that, do you? He has excellent athleticism, a good arm and pretty good release, he's been in the NFL for 3 years and has shown that he can play. He would be significantly cheaper than Kolb and likely have a far higher upside.

This one is a no-brainer, it is Josh Johnson... just like I was saying when I thought Harbaugh was going to Miami...Josh Johnson.... and consider this:

If/when the lockout happens, players will likely be spending mimimal time with their teams before the season starts. A veteran or rookie QB will not likely have the optimal amount of time to absorb a new offense... so who better to absorb a new offense than a guy that already knows it? Josh Johnson for that reason, the reason that he is still very young, the reason that he is extremely talented, the reason that he is a top 3-5 athlete at the QQB position are why Harbaugh will go hot and heavy after Johnson.

Comment

If Harbaugh goes with Johnson, he doesn't have to worry so much about developing a young QB, he is already nearly there.. he has a great work ethic, too. He is a young starter, ready to go, ready to win right now... there is no wating 3-4 years to see if he develops. I'm thinking the Bucs let him go for a 2nd.

Comment

How is Johnson a no brainier ? Just because he played with Hargbaugh before doesn't he will again. I still think they go after a young QB in the draft who they can mold and teach into the WCO style and keep for future years .Maybe sign some one for back up duties or just keep Carr for back up .

Comment

Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                        How is Johnson a no brainier ? Just because he played with Hargbaugh before doesn't he will again. I still think they go after a young QB in the draft who they can mold and teach into the WCO style and keep for future years .Maybe sign some one for back up duties or just keep Carr for back up .
                        A no-brainer as far as veterans.... If he wants to win now, he goes after a vet, if he wants to take his lumps while vets like Patrick Willis and Frank Gore have to wait to win, then he goes rookie... I think he wants to win now.

Comment

Ricky Stanzi seems like Harbaugh's type of quarterback

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

I think the 9ers should skip QB this year or draft one late, then sell out next year to obtain Luck.

By sell out, I mean trade multiple firsts, not purposely blow games.
                            Last edited by bam bam; 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

If SF were to take a QB in the 1st round I think it would be Locker. Harbaugh knows him from having coached against him, he could work with his accuracy and he possesses most, if not all, of the qualities that he looks for in a QB.
                              I think that trading for Josh Johnson is a very real possibility and would give them time to groom his successor.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                              WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information