Should True Sophmores Be In Play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should True Sophmores Be In Play?

The way i look at it why is the NFL and NFL draft people not allowing True Sophomores to come out. If your a Freak like Mario Williams. (dude was like 6-5 270 as a soph, Calvin Johnson, Sean Taylor (r.i.P) why do you need to play one more free year of football in college for?
    Some of this players would have still been First round picks as true sophomores, Why cant they just be allowed?
    Everybody knows you cant play football forever. Its a hard sport to play, and with the 18 NFL games a season coming soon. Why play one extra free year of football. When you could be getting paid in the NFL?
    If a 19 year old kid wants to be a boxer he can, IF a 18 year old kid wants to be a kick boxer,MMA fighter, Wrestler in the WWe he cant. Sports that dont even use pads. But the NCAA and NFL wants to keep athletes from making money. I think thats why the temptation for athletes to take illegal gifts in college football is so HIGH. BEcause they are trapped for 3 or 4 years in college.
    i think they should be able to follow their dreams and career playing pro ITS their American given right to get paid . If your ready i say let the athletes come out, look at the NBA for example. Blake Griffin kid is a freak and came out after 1 year or 2?

I am pretty sure right out of HS he could have done well, so would have LeBron. Now the other point to this will be.
    Well what about the football players that are sophomores that will not be ready to play. well that's their problem i think.

But taken one year of the ability for Stud players to make money is crazy.
    positions that dont need 3 years and sophomores should be allowed in enter draft are ,
    running backs, Full backs, Line backers. Safeties.
    Dt, De, Kickers, punters. Returners. and wide receivers, Tight ends

the only positions i feel need more time in college are Quarter backs, Offensive linemen, that's it.
    '
    and on top of that look at a Guy like Ryan Williams from Va Tech . He had a monster RS_frh year, if he would have need allowed to come out ,he would have been a last first round pick. because he cant he stayed at Va Tech had a so so year, now his projected as a round 2, round 3 guys, so staying in school he lost about 5 million $$$

The average NFL career is 3-5 years
    Last edited by REDSKINSWARRIOR82; 01-14-2011, 11:20 AM.

No.

What are you doing?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Absolutely not in my opinion.

There are rare exceptions but most 19-year-olds aren't ready for the NFL.

Look at how all of the raw, immature kids ruined the NBA (at least for me).
      Scott Wright, President
      Draft Countdown.com
      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Moreover, I don't think NFL teams even want true sophomores. Look at the trouble that you have already when you draft RS Jrs. You're basically spending a draft pick (it may be high) and a roster spot for a guy who absolutely will not be ready to play in the NFL for at least a year. Do you think NFL GMs even want to bother having to deal with "this guy has tremendous upside, but he won't be able to help us for two years"?

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
          Moreover, I don't think NFL teams even want true sophomores. Look at the trouble that you have already when you draft RS Jrs. You're basically spending a draft pick (it may be high) and a roster spot for a guy who absolutely will not be ready to play in the NFL for at least a year. Do you think NFL GMs even want to bother having to deal with "this guy has tremendous upside, but he won't be able to help us for two years"?

Ok how many Players even seniors are ready to step into the NFL and be a full time starter from day one? Maybe like 6 or 9 a year.
          People are saying guys like Newton , Jake Locker, are going to need 3 or 4 years to get ready.

You look at positions like Wideout, Running back, Linebacker, Safety. DE, pass rusher. You dont really need alot of time in college to be good at those spots. Running backs take alot of hits in college. i guy like John Clay, or Ryan Williams, even Dion Lewis lost money staying in school one more year thats not fair.

And Wide outs like Gurley from SC, 6-5 235 he is already 23 years old,? Wat does he need one more year of college for? to help SC play for free.
          Playing for free isnt cool , not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
            i know, right? i totally advocate paying high school players. i mean, why shouldn't they be able to make the jump right to the nfl, too?

i mean, assuming we even accept the utterly illogical and ridiculous argument that they're playing for free. what's sad is that there are probably arguments to be made for allowing sophomores to declare, you're just not making any of them.

Ok well if there any folks more brain cells than i, that have the gift for for english and writing and want to help me out with PROS of why Soph should be able to come out. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
              Ok how many Players even seniors are ready to step into the NFL and be a full time starter from day one? Maybe like 6 or 9 a year.
              People are saying guys like Newton , Jake Locker, are going to need 3 or 4 years to get ready.

You look at positions like Wideout, Running back, Linebacker, Safety. DE, pass rusher. You dont really need alot of time in college to be good at those spots. Running backs take alot of hits in college. i guy like John Clay, or Ryan Williams, even Dion Lewis lost money staying in school one more year thats not fair.

And Wide outs like Gurley from SC, 6-5 235 he is already 23 years old,? Wat does he need one more year of college for? to help SC play for free.
              Playing for free isnt cool , not at all.
              FREE?????

How much does a full ride scholarship for one year cost for these phenoms in college? Most are allowed to go through college without being as smart as you would suspect. Play out your scholarship, follow the rule of 3 years removed from HS to declare for draft and leave it alone.

How many of these one year wonders having tremendous seasons finish their college career as mediocre, non NFL talent?

Comment

Dude, just stop.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
                  i guy like John Clay, or Ryan Williams, even Dion Lewis lost money staying in school one more year thats not fair.
                  I think you're missing a big point: who cares what the player wants? If you want this league to stay in business, you need to let them make rules that favor safer investments. So many bums walking around living off of professional contracts they didn't deserve. Two/three years of film gives NFL scouts and coaches more to study on the players, more insight to their dedication, and it essentially weeds out some guys that definitely were not going to make it.

Who cares if Ryan Williams had a better year last season and would have been paid more had he declared a year ago? He came back, had a rocky season, and now teams will be hesitant to pull the trigger until the 2nd-3rd Round. That's not a bad thing. Less money for the player, sure, but a wiser investment for the NFL.

Everyone here would like to earn more money, but that doesn't mean we deserve it.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                  - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                  www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

they aren't playing for free. Someone is paying for their college education. Why can't they earn a respectable degree and do something with that? Unless your are saying they are to stupid. They might as well dropout after a year of college and join UFL, or CFL.

Comment

Warrior, I am sort of with you 100 percent on this issue, but I am a big-time hypocrite.

My convictions tell me these kids should be given the right to take a shot at the league whenever they want. If they fail or are not ready, that is part of having freedom of choice. To me, it is far more fair than forcing a guy like Adrian Peterson or Mark Ingram to take an extra year of pounding, thus possibly costing themselves millions later in their career.

But on the othner hand, I love seeing these guys stick around as a college football fan. I selfishly hope the rules for declaring for the draft never get changed, because I enjoy getting to know the players, and when the Buckeyes have a stud like Big Daddy Wilkinson, Orlando Pace, David Boston or Beanie Wells, I want them staying in Columbus as long as they possibly can.

Comment

I did a whole podcast on this. My feelings are such:

Should they be given the option if they feel they are ready? Yes.

Are they ready? 99% of the time, no.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

The important thing to note is that whether or not it's fair or in the best interest of college players to be able to come out earlier, that doesn't actually matter. Since the eligibility of college players to enter the draft is determined by the NFL and the NFLPA, neither of which represent any amateur athletes in any capacity.

If the NFL deems that it's in their best interest to keep players in for an extra year, they are fully entitled to just keep it that way. The league currently believes that "at least three years out of high school" has more or less optimized the talent you get in the draft, and that's the way it's going to stay.

Another thing worth considering is that the NFL does not want to antagonize college coaches or football programs as a whole here. The NCAA basically provides a free farm league for the NFL, and the NFL would like to keep it that way. I doubt coaches would be excited to have to replace their best players every two years, especially after several generations heir former stars get drafted high and flame out because 19-year-old kids are stupid.

I know there are true sophomores who think they're ready for the NFL, just like there are high school seniors who think that they're ready for the NFL. But the people who ought to make this evaluation are on the side of the league not the side of the player. The risks for a guy coming out too early vastly outweigh the risks for a guy coming out too late.

Comment

What needs to happen is for the NFL to set up a legitimate minor league.

TBH, I'm done with college sports. At least with professional sports you know it's all about the money. I'm tired of the student-athlete farce perpetuated by the NCAA, the universities, and the athletes themselves.

If done right, I think a legit D-league could do quite well and could even rival or overtake college football. It would attract the best talent (not castoffs like the UFL, AFL, or NFL Europe), and said talent would be paid and properly developed for the NFL game, and you could have the season in spring/summertime. And they could actually get paid, which is all they're really looking for anyways.

Then, CFB can be for people who actually want to get a degree and don't have much of a future in professional sports. Everyone wins except for the people at the top of the NCAA raking in huge bucks. But **** those guys anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              If done right, I think a legit D-league could do quite well and could even rival or overtake college football. It would attract the best talent (not castoffs like the UFL, AFL, or NFL Europe), said talent would be paid and properly developed for the NFL game, and you could have the season in spring/summertime.

Yeah, that won't happen. Too much money, allegiance, history, etc, in college football.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information