Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Mallett - Top 5 Pick in Draft?

I think Yes.

Size, Strong arm, and not a statue in the pocket.

1st QB taken (imo).

NOT a statue in the pocket?
    aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
      NOT a statue in the pocket?
      I think he is mobile enough to not be considered a "Statue". I'm not saying that he is Vick, VY, or even Romo. I'm just saying he can move around a little and avoid pressure some.

Comment

I use to say yes, but the more I watch him the more I sour. Mobility is completely overrated, one of the most important things a QB has to be able to do is shuffle his feet in the pocket and move around a step or two while keeping their eyes down field. Peyton and Brady are the kings of this, they step then reset their feet and throw. When Mallett gets pressured he really sucks at resetting and throwing.

Comment

He is unbelievably clunky navigating within the pocket and becomes off balance very easily

Comment

Well I say yes because his tools are just too much to pass up and he's shown he can throw with touch, but he is absolutely a statue in the pocket. A Drew Bledsoe-like statue.

Comment

Ryan Mallett is the definition of a statue in the pocket.

And I wouldnt touch him within the first 15 picks, but maybe thats just me.
              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
              The APS is strong in this one.
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I'm settling on Byron Leftwich as my comparison for him. Without the impeccable character, of course. Whenever I see him, he drops back, and fires the ball. Sometimes it's the most beautiful throw you'll ever see, sometimes it's not, but that's literally all he does. No eye manipulation or pump faking, he's pathetic when he's forced to move out of the pocket, makes horrible decisions because a lot of the time he doesn't seem to understand what the defense is doing to him, and by all accounts he's got character concerns. I don't think I'd take him in the first round.

Comment

It's a definite possibility, especially now with Luck staying in school.

He has the tools NFL quarterback developers will like to work with....not sure if the mental game is there. His reads right now consist of:

1.) Check Primary receiver - Is he wide freaking open? YES/NO

YES - Throw to him
                  NO - Check down

So...he might have some issues.

Comment

OK, maybe I'm wrong about the statue in the pocket thing, but I think that his size and arm will get him drafted in the top 5.

Comment

I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a top 5 pick IMO. Kind of a weak draft class for QBs.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!

Comment

He's the next Kerry Collins. Exact copy.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK85 View Post
                          I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a top 5 pick IMO. Kind of a weak draft class for QBs.
                          It's the most fluid position in the draft process because of how much it is dictated by need. The top QBs, even if they seem weak compared to other years, will still get pushed up into the elite level of picks based on team need. I think that 3 of Gabbert, Mallett, Newton and Locker will be top 10 picks and I think all will be first rounders. There are just too many teams with major need at QB for it not to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiFan24 View Post
                            I'm settling on Byron Leftwich as my comparison for him. Without the impeccable character, of course. Whenever I see him, he drops back, and fires the ball. Sometimes it's the most beautiful throw you'll ever see, sometimes it's not, but that's literally all he does. No eye manipulation or pump faking, he's pathetic when he's forced to move out of the pocket, makes horrible decisions because a lot of the time he doesn't seem to understand what the defense is doing to him, and by all accounts he's got character concerns. I don't think I'd take him in the first round.

Leftwich with that looping windup of a throw???
                            Nope.
                            Mallett has a much more compact, quick release.

Mallett has possibly one of the strongest arms in the game when he gets to the pros, and he IS mobile, but his pocket presence is awful.
                            He's slow to feel the rush and at times can hold the ball too long thinking(falsely) that he can scramble out of pressure.

When I look at a QB like Tom Brady, who also has limited mobility, but has great footwork/pocket presence and rarely gets sacked, IMO I think if Mallett is given a top-rate QB coach he can learn how to work his way around in the pocket and not think he can run away from trouble like Aaron Rodgers or shake off tacklers like Big Ben.

I look at guys like Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning, and think if they can be successful as less than mobile NFL QBs, Mallett has it in him to do the same.

Mallett is not a stiff, but he's also only functionally athletic for a 6'6 QB, and anyone can see he will eventually become less mobile the longer he's in the NFL.

Still think he would be the perfect fit for Arizona.

If the pernicious rumor that Mallett may enjoy partaking in powdery substances on the weekends continues to dog him, I don't think any team takes him in the top 5.

If Mallett does well in interviews and teams feel after doing a thorough background check on the guy that he's clean and not a user, it's possible he ends up the first QB taken, just not the first player drafted overall.

I still say he's gonna be the closest thing NFL fans have ever seen to Dan Marino, who also fell to the end of the first round in '83 based in part to rumors of drug use and bad knees.

IMO he's simply too talented not to be picked in the 1st round.
                            No pure pocket passer has put up the numbers Mallett has in the SEC.
                            Mallett has flaws, but he's still a special QB talent.

Comment

Why would Arizona draft Ryan Mallett? They already have him on the roster. His name is Derek Anderson.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information