B-U-S-T Potential

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-U-S-T Potential

Without discussing names like Tyrod Taylor, etc. (who in my opinion has approximately 0% chance of playing quarterback in the NFL) and guys like him that are going to be later round picks, if drafted at all, who are the players that are likely to be selected in the first 3 rounds or so that have the highest B-U-S-T potential?

It could be because of overrated talent, immaturity, attitude, character concerns, lack of work ethic, lack of durability, lack of physicality, one year wonder, etc... any number of things.

What are everyone's opinions on who the highest of high risk prospects are in this draft?

I'm looking at guys like:

Cam Newton
    Ryan Mallett
    Greg Little
    Jonathan Baldwin
    Nate Solder
    Ras-I Dowling
    Rahim Moore
    DeAndre McDaniel
    Akeem Ayers
    Marvin Austin
    Nick Fairley
    Da'Quan Bowers

These are the main prospects who when I just try to take everything into consideration, seem like they come with the most B-U-S-T potential.

Thoughts?

Unless there is a sudden significant injury that derails their career, I don't see Fairley or Bowers having a high bust potential. The rest of your list I can agree with.

Comment

Fairley has significant bust potential due to character and motivational concerns. He's the anti-Suh in that regard: Suh was an elite talent with flawless character, but Fairley is an elite talent with sketchy character.

Bowers probably won't ever be a complete scrub, but I could easily see him "only" being a 4-5 sack a year type of run-stopping DE.

Comment

I think Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbard have more bust potential than Andy Dalton, Pat Devlin and Christian Ponder.

Comment

Outside of Fairley recently saying he didn't want to play in the cold, what else has he done to give him character concerns?

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
            Outside of Fairley recently saying he didn't want to play in the cold, what else has he done to give him character concerns?
            - He's been known to make "dirty" plays on field.

- He's not especially bright. Listening to him speak and comparing it to the way Suh handled himself in interviews last year you are struck by the huge disparity between the two

- He takes plays off, which points to motivational factors which will come to light when he gets a big "payday"

- He's a JUCO transfer. Now, normally you shouldn't hold that against people, but the fact of the matter is, these guys do tend to struggle more than traditional athletes that went through a four year school

Comment

D-Unit nailed what I was looking for in a way. I don't think anyone would argue that Devlin, Ponder, or Dalton are more talented than Mallett, Locker, or Gabbert.... but he makes a great point about those guys that could potentially be selected in the first 3 rounds or so having significantly less bust potential than the other 3, even if they're less likely to be stars.

I've just always been leary of one year wonders at any position.. and especially at defensive tackle. Fairley wasn't even a starter last year, and according to his own coaches never really showed the motivation to be one. I think they were more surprised by Fairley's break out season than anyone.

Not to mention his penchant for playing "dirty" and taking cheap shots at quarterbacks... I don't know, Fairley just seems like a risky pick to me.

Comment

Fairley is a one year wonder which always scares me since those guys never seem to work out. Also Locker for the obvious reasons but also huge durability concerns.
                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Da'Quan Bowers has pretty high bust potential. Takes plays off, doesn't have the best motor you want in a top 5 pick at DE, but he'll be a starter for a long time even if he doesn't produce the amount of QB pressure and sacks that he did at Clemson this year b/c of his size and athleticism.

Comment

Players who strike me as busting: Cam Newton, DaQuan Bowers, Nate Solder, Adrian Clayborn, Blaine Gabbert, and Ryan Mallett. I'm on the fence about Robert Quinn and Cameron Heyward

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                    WHO DAT!

Comment

Rahim Moore is safe. He had a ton of ints a year ago, but teams knew who he was this year. He basically took this year and honed his in the box skills. IMO, he can do it all now. He can still cover, and is now a better tackler.
                      SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                      Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Definitely the Auburn two. Fairley has Gerard Warren written all over him. Newton, I think is more dependent on where he goes. Dude plays balls out but needs to land in the right system, though thats pretty much true for all qbs

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
                          - He's a JUCO transfer. Now, normally you shouldn't hold that against people, but the fact of the matter is, these guys do tend to struggle more than traditional athletes that went through a four year school
                          this totally means hes gonna be a bust. everyone knows JUCO transfers cant play in the NFL.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Can't be a 'bust' unless you're selected in the first 4 rounds IMO, since a 'bust' is a prospect who's drafted with very lofty expectations and fails to reach or even approach that plateau.

All the top QB prospects have the same 'bust' potential, when looking at their pros/cons.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              I think Ryan Mallett, Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbard have more bust potential than Andy Dalton, Pat Devlin and Christian Ponder.
                              Isn't that obviously the case? Since we measure "bust" largely by comparing expectations and results. If someone is drafted in the first round, much more is expected of him than someone drafted in the fifth round. People don't even bat an eye when a sixth round pick fails to make it out of camp.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information