Villanova WR Matt Szczur Chooses MLB Over NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villanova WR Matt Szczur Chooses MLB Over NFL

Scott's #9 WR and a small school gem has decided to forgo an NFL career instead signing a $1.5 million deal with the Chicago Cubs where he joins former Notre Dame standout Jeff Samardzija

I have a link but it's to another draft source so I won't post it here.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

damn, I know a lot of people liked him. Best of luck in baseball.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Awe. That sucks. Really liked the kid.
      Go Steelers!
      Go Vandals!

Comment

Bonus got bumped up from $500k to $1.5 million. Lot of money to turn down, especially if he'd be a mid-round pick which was what was expected. Nothing definite in this article, just citing internet reports, but here's a writeup:

http://vuhoops.com/2011/01/18/matt-s...an-nfl-career/

Comment

Smart move.

If a team really liked him, they could just take Randall Cobb a little earlier and be more than happy with him.
          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

With Broyles out, I thought he'd be the best slot receiver in the draft. Bummer. Given the NFL injury concerns and that mess, I can't fault him for his annoying decision, even though I hate baseball.

I'm still bitter over Jeff Samardzija.
            Just play me, baby

Comment

Those Cubs hate the NFL.

www.minnesotavikingsnation.com

Comment

I hope he is more successful than Jeff Samardzija has been so far. Alfonso Soriano is getting up there in age and will need replacing pretty soon.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                Bortlezzzzzzz
                Originally posted by Monomach
                Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Can't say this is a surprising developing as there were plenty of rumors that Szczur was leaning toward a career in baseball for many months now. I'm still disappointed though as Szczur was definitely one of my favorite prospects in the Class of 2011. My prospect crush, if you will.

I'm glad he made this decision now though so another prospect who wants to pursue a pro football career will have the opportunity to showcase themselves at the Senior Bowl.

Cecil Shorts III, please come on down (hopefully)!
                  Scott Wright, President
                  Draft Countdown.com
                  www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                  www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                    Scott's #9 WR and a small school gem has decided to forgo an NFL career instead signing a $1.5 million deal with the Chicago Cubs where he joins former Notre Dame standout Jeff Samardzija

I have a link but it's to another draft source so I won't post it here.
                    I guess without question the Cubbies have the best set of WRs in all of baseball.

Other than a QB here and there (Elway, Locker) the majority of guys like the potential longer careers and money that baseball has to offer. Still wonder how guys like Kirk Gibson and Dave Winfield would have done in the NFL.

Comment

Loved this kid, sad to see him not enter the NFL draft. Best of luck to him in Chicago with the Cubbies though.
                      FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Comment

Damn. I really, really liked him as a slot receiver at the next level. Should be a good outfielder.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                          I guess without question the Cubbies have the best set of WRs in all of baseball.

Other than a QB here and there (Elway, Locker) the majority of guys like the potential longer careers and money that baseball has to offer. Still wonder how guys like Kirk Gibson and Dave Winfield would have done in the NFL.
                          Frank Thomas, Phil Bradley, Brian Jordan, Jeffrey Hammond, Jim Traber... why stick to baseball? Charlie Ward...this list could go on and on.

BTW, Kirk Gibson was a china doll in baseball... I'm sure football wouldn't have been very kind to him.

Comment

he totally chose the easier sport, in my opinion anyway.

if they ever have a pickup game of football though they got some good targets to throw to lol
                            E]

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
                              Frank Thomas, Phil Bradley, Brian Jordan, Jeffrey Hammond, Jim Traber... why stick to baseball? Charlie Ward...this list could go on and on.

BTW, Kirk Gibson was a china doll in baseball... I'm sure football wouldn't have been very kind to him.
                              I dont remember Gibson having any real health issues while he was with the Tigers, which would have been till he was around 30. He was 6-3 215 with 4.29 speed on turf, Bucko Kilroy, old head scout for the Pats, said he was the fastest white guy they had ever timed. Jist a tidbit there.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information