Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Something I Am Missing On Nate Solder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There Something I Am Missing On Nate Solder?

I wont lie and say I follow Colorado real closely, and have seen every game Solder has played, but every time I watch him I think ... SOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I wanted so badly to like him, I really did. He is the only athletic marvel at the position, and an elite offensive tackle always makes the top of the draft more interesting. But now, I dont see much more than a third (at the earliest) developmental type.

Yet, several people I respect, Scott and Mayock included, have this guy as the top tackle in the draft. It just mystifies me. Are they so taken by his measurables that they are willing to overlook obvious deficiencies? Somebody tell me I am wrong or give me some sort of explanation why anyone sees a franchise left tackle in this guy. Whichever team drafts him seems likely to get my worst grade of the first round.

Yes, an L.

Comment

Originally posted by MI_Buckeye View Post
      I wont lie and say I follow Colorado real closely, and have seen every game Solder has played, but every time I watch him I think ... SOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I wanted so badly to like him, I really did. He is the only athletic marvel at the position, and an elite offensive tackle always makes the top of the draft more interesting. But now, I dont see much more than a third (at the earliest) developmental type.

Yet, several people I respect, Scott and Mayock included, have this guy as the top tackle in the draft. It just mystifies me. Are they so taken by his measurables that they are willing to overlook obvious deficiencies? Somebody tell me I am wrong or give me some sort of explanation why anyone sees a franchise left tackle in this guy. Whichever team drafts him seems likely to get my worst grade of the first round.
      Left tackles and quarterbacks are so strongly driven by potential and raw talent in regards to draft stock. All positions are that way, but those two positions are far more about a players potential rather than what they've actually done.

Comment

Teams see his athleticism and sky high potential, and then see that most of his issues can be corrected with coaching and experience.

It's the same reason why some team will take Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett really high.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          Teams see his athleticism and sky high potential, and then see that most of his issues can be corrected with coaching and experience.

It's the same reason why some team will take Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett really high.
          I understand that, but the biggest mistakes are made when teams overlook glaring flaws in a players game because of his physical tools. I understand that some team is going to draft him way higher than I think they should. It is just that I thought certain draft analysts would be too smart to fall for the hype, which is why I am wondering if they know something I dont.

Is he always as pedestrian as he was in the games I watched him? Does he ever show that dominating performance that lets you know he CAN maximize his tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Quailman View Post
            Yes, an L.
            Ha Ha! Touche.

Comment

I don't think most NFL teams will rate Solder that high in the first round.
              He's so far from being able to start as a rookie, how could he be a top 15 pick??

Premier college offensive tackles are EXPECTED to be able to start as rookies.

If you look at Solder and don't see a guy who's ready to start in the NFL for at least a season or two, how could he be the top rated OT??

Comment

Thing that doesn't really make sense is that for how athletic he is, he is considered a great run blocker and average pass blocker if that. Many CU fans have said he is a turnstyle that lacks good pass protection skills, so why would you want someone at LT if they can't PB effectively?

I get he has the intangibles, measureables and experience but I feel as of right now he is strictly a Right Tackle. Does he have everything to be a Franchise Left Tackle? Yes, but he is an unfinished product

Comment

I'm higher on Solder than a lot of people here. The sheer athletic ability and freakness goes without saying at this point as we've been talking about 7% body fat and all that for a few years now. I really don't think he's this massive project people are making him out to be and I really think he can start right away too. Maybe not be as effective as you hope he'll be with a few years on an NFL nutrition and strength training program, but he does things you can't teach. It's very rare that you can see a guy who can completely recover with his quickness if he's beat. He gets caught reaching and doesn't fire out of his stance or deliver a great initial punch like you would like...but that's not only correctable, it's fairly easy to correct. He's underrated in terms of strength when he locks on too. Able to sustain blocks without much of an issue. When guys start mixing it up with their hands on him he sometimes gets beat a bit, but not badly.

We're not talking about Joe Thomas here as he's not a finished product yet, but this is a really terrible offensive tackle class. It'll be about personal preference as far as the top one being selected, but if you're looking for a guy who can develop into a great LT and not an average one, Solder has to be at near the top of that list.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I'd rather take a gamble on Tyron Smith. Both have similar upside in my opinion.

Comment

My problem with him is that I think he'd be better if he was 6'7 than 6'9. He's not quite to LT what Ryan Mallett is to QB but he is a bit awkward and I don't like to see that out of a high ranked prospect. There are guys who can play at 6'9 but you need to carry a lot more weight than Solder currently is and you have to be a FREAK.

I think he can play LT but I wonder if this class isn't a bit weak and if he's benefiting from that

Comment

Great kid, very smart, was already productive in college (first-team All American this year), tons of physical tools.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                          Great kid, very smart, was already productive in college (first-team All American this year), tons of physical tools.
                          Consensus too. People seem to leave this out of the discussion. I know this is by no means an accurate barometer of pro prospects, but this isn't Bruce Campbell we're talking about like some people seem to think.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

The AA teams and postseason awards have become a sham. It's all about hype and at the non-glam positions (ie QB/RB/WR) most guys just default to voting for the best NFL prospects

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                              The AA teams and postseason awards have become a sham. It's all about hype and at the non-glam positions (ie QB/RB/WR) most guys just default to voting for the best NFL prospects
                              But you don't vote for a complete scrub with potential like some people seem to imply.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information