Phil Taylor a Legit 1st Rounder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Taylor a Legit 1st Rounder

Read that hes doing good at Mobile, is he going to rise his stock into the 1st round?? At least to the level of a pick 30 type player where the Jets draft as we could use a young NT and seeing that hes 6'3 337 and carries the weight well, makes me intrigued.

He has been impressive but I don't think he will do enough to get into the first round. He's probably more of a mid second round pick at the moment but seems to have emerged as the top 34 NT prospect in the draft.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

He'll likely he overdrafted just because of the high demand for a NT. I think he could well be the best one in this draft, but I wouldn't be comfortable with saying first round right now. Early second sure, but first is a bit too high.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I have been saying a few days Phil Taylor should get serious consideration for the 1st round pick. Look at the picks after KC of 3-4 teams that need an NT either right away or to build around:

30: NYJ
        32. Pitt
        Round 2:
        8. Dallas
        9. Washington
        10. Houston

I dont see how he gets past Houston in the 2nd round
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
          I dont see how he gets past Houston in the 2nd round
          That's probably my floor for him as well.

I don't think he'll be Pro Bowl type guy, but the ability is there if he gets some good coaching. He's certainly separating himself from the other NT's down in Mobile this week.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Would he be more of a 3-4 NT run-stuffer or a run-stuffing 4-3 DT?

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
              Would he be more of a 3-4 NT run-stuffer or a run-stuffing 4-3 DT?
              Definitely a space eater, preferably in a 2 gap 34. I dont see Houston being a legit option though because he's not a great fit for Wade Phillip's attacking defense. I think if they go NT it would more likely be someone like Sione Fua

My guess right now would be he goes to Washington in the second

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                Definitely a space eater, preferably in a 2 gap 34. I dont see Houston being a legit option though because he's not a great fit for Wade Phillip's attacking defense. I think if they go NT it would more likely be someone like Sione Fua
                Eh. Wade has done it with different guys in the middle. His scheme was at it's best with Jamal Williams in his prime back for the Chargers. Won't have any personal control in Houston either.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                  Eh. Wade has done it with different guys in the middle. His scheme was at it's best with Jamal Williams in his prime back for the Chargers. Won't have any personal control in Houston either.
                  He also had better DEs in SD than in Dallas. It's interesting because Williams was a guy who would clog up the middle while Ratliff was a penetrator at the nose.

Comment

I know just which one I would prefer if I were the Houston front office. Ratliff got waaaay too much credit for a few years. Shouldn't be starting NT regardless of gaps.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I doubt he'll go in the first round because pure 3-4 NT don't go that high unless they have been absolutely dominant their entire collegiate career. I can, however, see him going in the 2nd due to how many teams run the 3-4 that can use a NT. Right now I'm projecting him to the Texans in round 2.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                      WHO DAT!

Comment

Casey Hampton did. Although, sometimes I wonder why they don't use him more in nickle packages. He's a definite consideration at the top of the first. I see him going to New Orleans in the first at his highest possible draft position.
                        "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

Originally posted by ellsy82 View Post
                          Casey Hampton did. Although, sometimes I wonder why they don't use him more in nickle packages. He's a definite consideration at the top of the first. I see him going to New Orleans in the first at his highest possible draft position.
                          I wouldn't hate that but Gregg Williams looks for more versatility in his D-Linemen. Taylor, to me, is a pure 3-4 NT.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                          WHO DAT!

Comment

I love that he showed up at 337?, but cant get over that he showed up to Penn St. at 380?. There is the misdameanor charges that got him booted off the P.S.U. team, but he has stayed clean since. I had him as a 2nd rounder last year before he decided to stay, have him as a second rounder this year as well, and think that if he can improve/prove his endurance and stamina could sneak into the tail end of the first round with the Jets and Steelers being possibilities. Most likely 2nd round though.
                            Side note: Ted Washington, Pat Williams and Kris Jenkins all contributed to highly successful 4-3 defenses, why are prospects of such stature consistantly talked about as strictly 3-4 NT's? Taylor IMO could be a run stuffer in either system...
                            "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

Phil Taylor's ability has never really been in question. Where the question marks on him have been do to character issues and work ethic questions. He was kicked off the Penn State team and his weight has been as high as the 370 range.

Due to the number of 3-4 teams now in the NFL and the lack of quality 3-4 nose tackle prospects Taylor has remained in atleast the 2nd round range.

Now he's blowing up at the Senior Bowl playing against the best competition he's ever seen. He has one of the most positive "buzzes" of any prospect there.

Add this all up and you get a player who will be drafted in the first round barring any negative issues (legal/injury/drug test/ect.) in the meantime.

If he get's past pick #30, he'll be a Steeler (unless Mike Pouncey is still on the board).

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information