Offensive Linemen Rankings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Linemen Rankings

I've spent the past several days really trying to get a better feel for how to rank the offensive linemen. I've watched a bunch of game film I have on my DVR, Senior Bowl practices, and some other resources. I can see I was too high on some players and too low on others. I was able to see things a little clearer by focusing on just one group and editing my rankings instead of doing a mass edit. I know many of you won't agree with much of this, but I doubt many if any have truely spent the amount of time I have to form an opinion.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

1. Gabe Carimi, LT, 6-7, 327, Wisconsin

2. Anthony Costonzo, LT, 6-7, 308, Boston College

3. Nate Solder, LT, 6-8, 315, Colorado

4. Michael Pouncey, OG/C, 6-4, 310, Florida

5. Tyron Smith, LT, 6-5, 285, Southern California*

6. Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG, 6-3, 306, Penn State

7. Marcus Gilbert, LT, 6-5, 320, Florida

8. John Moffitt, OG/C, 6-4, 323, Wisconsin

9. Derek Sherrod, LT/RT, 305, Mississippi State

10. Danny Watkins, OG/RT, 6-4, 310, Baylor (would be higher, but will be a 27 year old rookie)

11. Rodney Hudson, OG, 6-2, 291, Florida State

12. Brandon Fusco, C/OG, 6-4, 300, Slippery Rock

13. Marcus Cannon, OG, 6-5, 350, Texas Christian

14. DeMarcus Love, OG/RT, 6-5, 315, Arkansas

15. James Brewer, RT/OG, 6-6, 332, Indiana

16. Kris O'Dowd, C, 6-4, 300, Southern California

17. Orlando Franklin, OG/OT, 6-7, 315, Miami

18. Ben Ijalana, OG/RT, 6-4, 320, Villanova

19. James Carpenter, RT/LT, 6-5, 300, Alabama

20. Will Rackley, OG, 6-4, 305, Lehigh

21. Jah Reid, LT, 6-7, 315, Central Florida

22. Joseph Barksdale, RT, 6-5, 318, Louisiana State

23. Chris Hairston, RT, 6-7, 325, Clemson

24. Justin Boren, OG, 6-3, 320, Ohio State

25. Stephen Schilling, OG/RT, 6-5, 308, Michigan

26. Derek Newton, LT/RT, 6-6, 305, Arkansas State

27. Clint Boling, OG, 6-5, 295, Georgia

28. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, 6-3, 305, Texas Christian

29. Jason Pinkston, RT/OG, 6-4, 308, Pitt

30. Lee Ziemba, OG/RT, 6-6, 320, Auburn

31. Darius Morris, OG/RT, 6-4, 318, Temple

32. Ryan McMahon, C, 6-2, 285, Florida State

33. Andrew Jackson, OG, 6-5, 295, Fresno State

34. Jarriel King, RT/OG, 324, South Carolina

35. Tim Barnes, C, 6-4, 300, Missouri

36. Josh Davis, RT/LT, 6-6, 310, Georgia

37. Colin Baxter, OG/C, 6-3, 305, Arizona

38. Derek Hall, RT/LT, 6-5, 305, Stanford

39. Rich Lapham, OG, 6-8, 323, Boston College

40. Eric Mensik, OG/RT, 6-5, 290, Oklahoma

41. Zane Taylor, C, 6-2, 309, Utah

42. Kyle Hix, RT, 6-7, 325, Texas

43. Kenny Wiggins, RT, 6-7, 315, Fresno State

44. John Bender, OG, 6-8, 325, Nevada

45. Keith Williams, OG, 6-5, 310, Nebraska

46. Anthony Morgan, OG, 6-3, 312, Oklahoma State

47. Ricky Henry, OG, 6-3, 305, Nebraska

48. Andrew Phillips, OG, 6-4, 302, Stanford

49. Zach Hurd, OG/RT, 6-7, 325, Connecticut

50. Thomas Claiborne, OG, 6-2, 332, Boston College

Originally posted by Day One Pick View Post
    I know many of you won't agree with much of this, but I doubt many if any have truely spent the amount of time I have to form an opinion.
    Humility much?

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Next you must do a Top 10 by position. Nice list. I like the boldness to go outside of the norm.

Comment

I like Carimi at #1 but I have a hard time with Sherrod at #9.

Comment

Cannon at 13, dude?
          I want a sig.

Comment

Boling is low.

Ijalana way too low.

Comment

Again... love the courage behind these rankings. Anyone saying so and so is "too high" or "too low" is just basing that opinion off the rankings of the masses. That's what I think.

But I need to know what you did you come up with this. Is this based off your own eyes of what you witnessed or is this just gut feeling rankings based off other regurgitated rankings or scouting reports?

Comment

Cannon and Ijalana are a little low.

Cannon for a 350lbs man is inhuman athletic.

I love to see Marcus Gilbert up there as he is showing something at the Senior Bowl.

Comment

interesting that you have RT/LT for a lot of guys but only LT for Tyron Smith - who has been a RT his entire career. This will not do, I demand perfection!

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                    interesting that you have RT/LT for a lot of guys but only LT for Tyron Smith - who has been a RT his entire career. This will not do, I demand perfection!
                    I actually have come to realize that Smith is more suited as a LT in the NFL and that he'll need to bulk up a lot more to suit the needs of being a RT. ...but he can play RT for Michael Vick!

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      Again... love the courage behind these rankings. Anyone saying so and so is "too high" or "too low" is just basing that opinion off the rankings of the masses. That's what I think.

But I need to know what you did you come up with this. Is this based off your own eyes of what you witnessed or is this just gut feeling rankings based off other regurgitated rankings or scouting reports?
                      I agree with you, that's why I prefaced this with the below statement. I love the conversation that happens here, but at the same time am driven nuts because I know so many of the posters form their opinions from others opinions.

I know many of you won't agree with much of this, but I doubt many if any have truely spent the amount of time I have to form an opinion.
                      Anyways, to answer your question...I have two DVR's which can both hold 40 hours of recording. I DVR games all season long, many of which I set to only record about half a game to conserve space. I do this in addition to watching a lot of games live as well as attending games here and there. I've felt like my OL rankings have been iffy, so I've spent the past several days going back and watching bits and pieces of games focusing only on the offensive linemen. In addition to this I've been watching and recording the Senior Bowl practices. This really helped me form a more solid opinion and set of rankings than I had. Instead of watching one player one day and then 3 weeks later seeing another one, I was able to get a better side by side comparison while things were still fresh in my mind. That said, there are still some prospects I wish I have seen more of. But as for what I've seen, this list is how I currently see things.

Comment

I actually have come to realize that Smith is more suited as a LT in the NFL and that he'll need to bulk up a lot more to suit the needs of being a RT. ...but he can play RT for Michael Vick!
                        Exactly. He's an athletic finesse guy, not a mauler like a RT should be.

Comment

Exactly. He's an athletic finesse guy, not a mauler like a RT should be.
                          That depends on your perception of what a right tackle should be. In my opinion, the players on the line should all play where they're most comfortable, and while I think Smith has the athleticism teams like in a left tackle, I think right tackle might be a better bet at least early on in his career because it's a little bit more familiar to him. Keep in mind that most quality teams have strong pass rushers on both sides of the ball and that right tackles are expected to be very quick on their feet now as well. I always enjoy reading your posts on the board though, good job.

Comment

I agree with you, that's why I prefaced this with the below statement. I love the conversation that happens here, but at the same time am driven nuts because I know so many of the posters form their opinions from others opinions.

Anyways, to answer your question...I have two DVR's which can both hold 40 hours of recording. I DVR games all season long, many of which I set to only record about half a game to conserve space. I do this in addition to watching a lot of games live as well as attending games here and there. I've felt like my OL rankings have been iffy, so I've spent the past several days going back and watching bits and pieces of games focusing only on the offensive linemen. In addition to this I've been watching and recording the Senior Bowl practices. This really helped me form a more solid opinion and set of rankings than I had. Instead of watching one player one day and then 3 weeks later seeing another one, I was able to get a better side by side comparison while things were still fresh in my mind. That said, there are still some prospects I wish I have seen more of. But as for what I've seen, this list is how I currently see things.
                            Ah, don't sweat it. Haters gonna hate. These rankings are unique and I like that. Happy to also hear that you compile this off your own eyes and not someone elses.

That said... you have to tell me what you like about Solder. Putting him that high. I think too many people are infatuated in him for all the wrong reasons. I didn't like what I saw on him on film all season, then combine that with the short arms, the appearance that he lacks power/strength, no nasty demeanor, quits before the whistle because the play is not by him...

I am NOT a fan of Solder anywhere in Round 1. BUT, I bet some team will.

Comment

Ah, don't sweat it. Haters gonna hate. These rankings are unique and I like that. Happy to also hear that you compile this off your own eyes and not someone elses.

That said... you have to tell me what you like about Solder. Putting him that high. I think too many people are infatuated in him for all the wrong reasons. I didn't like what I saw on him on film all season, then combine that with the short arms, the appearance that he lacks power/strength, no nasty demeanor, quits before the whistle because the play is not by him...

I am NOT a fan of Solder anywhere in Round 1. BUT, I bet some team will.
                              Mayock said today that he talked to a # of scouts and GM's at the Senior Bowl and they are comparing Solder to Tony Boselli and indicated that he can easily add 30-35 lbs. Top 15 pick for sure possibly might even rise to top 10.
                              #2 guy was Anthony Castonzo He said he will start in the NFL for 10-12 years
                              #3 was Camini followed by Sherrod.
                              They said the OT class was the best position at the Senior Bowl. They like Ijalana but he is injured and they weren't sure how Tyron Smith fits in yet and were interested to see his weight in at the combine.
                              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information