Robert Sands, S, West Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Sands, S, West Virginia

Huge Ball-hawking safety from what I see. 6-5 is ridiculous height for a safety. I think from what I have seen he will make a great Free Safety in the NFL. Anyone have any thoughts on him or where you think he will be drafted. I personally hope for him at #41 because I am a cowboys fan.

He is a big hitting safety with great ball skills. Needs some work on his lateral movement and back pedal but he definitely holds his own in coverage. I think he could play FS or SS in the NFL and his versatility could really appeal to a team that needs a safety. 3rd rounder at this point imo, will depend on combine somewhat.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
    12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

He's going to have to show he can backpedal and flip his hips, not to mention show quick change of direction and ultimately a fast 40 time at the Combine.

I like how instinctive of a player he is not to mention his pop on contact. He's definitely a much better prospect than Taylor Mays IMO.

Comment

I will never be sold on a 6'5 safety and wouldn't want my team taking one before the 5th round.

Comment

The measureables are more impressive than the game tape. I would take a chance on him in the 4th or 5th but I wouldn't touch him before that.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Pat Watkins. Very nice player for Florida State but a total liability when he was pressed into action in Dallas and overall a garbage NFL player. If a guy is 6'5 why not max out his NFL potential while in college and try to see if he can cut it at WR.

Comment

I don't think he is 6'5. Probably comes in at 6'3/2.

Comment

I've never seen a safety over 6'3 that was any good. You'd think for the position that taller is better but thus far they have all been liabilities.

Comment

Here is a video of his sophomore highlights.

He might not be fluid enough to play the FS position but at SS he gives you a lot of versatility to play the run and the pass effectively with that sepcial size. He is a legit mid round prospect.
                  Last edited by 703SKINS202; 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                  12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

he shows good skills on his highlight tapes. If he runs a 4.59 40 or below he will be a monster in the nfl.

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
                      I will never be sold on a 6'5 safety and wouldn't want my team taking one before the 5th round.
                      Why? added height for a safety is only a plus?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDieNasty View Post
                        Why? added height for a safety is only a plus?
                        Have you ever seen a safety over 6'4 that didn't suck? Pat Watkins was suppsoed to be good... CB Brandon Browner was allegedly 6'4 but he was too slow for CB and never made it as a S... I've never seen a safety over 6'3 that could change directions, drop his pads and be an asset to his defense.

You'd think that a 6'5 safety would be great but NFL history says it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
                          Have you ever seen a safety over 6'4 that didn't suck? Pat Watkins was suppsoed to be good... CB Brandon Browner was allegedly 6'4 but he was too slow for CB and never made it as a S... I've never seen a safety over 6'3 that could change directions, drop his pads and be an asset to his defense.

You'd think that a 6'5 safety would be great but NFL history says it isn't.
                          a very small percentage of guys are 6 foot 3 or higher and there bread to either play O-line, D-line or Wide Reciever. or play basketball. A coach doesn't say your 6 foot 5 you should play safety. From his tape he drops his pads well and lowers blows on opposing players. He changes directions decently also.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDieNasty View Post
                            a very small percentage of guys are 6 foot 3 or higher and there bread to either play O-line, D-line or Wide Reciever. or play basketball. A coach doesn't say your 6 foot 5 you should play safety. From his tape he drops his pads well and lowers blows on opposing players. He changes directions decently also.
                            "Bread"?

I didn't realize that people were breeding for the sole purpose of creating better O and Dline prospects as well as TEs, WRs, 3-4 OLBs, and QBs, etc.

In everyday life, there are a small percentage of people that are 6'3" or more... but in football, there is a very small percentage of OL, DEs, and TEs that are 6'3 or shorter. But in football, S's that are taller than 6'3 are so infrequent that you can't even call it rare. It's like finding a lion with stripes like a zebra and a tail like a beaver. I know Pat Watkins is technically 6' 4 and 3/4 inches, but technically Pat Watkins sucks. that's why despite running a 4.42 at the combine, leaping an incredible 41" and having a broadjump over 11 feet that he was drafted in the late 5th round and was cut by the Cowboys (who desperately needed S help this season).

There's a difference between being a good collegiate player and being good in the pros. Despite Watkins' superior athletic talent, he couldn't cover one-on-one, even if he were willing to tackle, he had a hard time getting his pads down to do so.

Sure, Sands is a great S for WVU. But considering that Noel Devine was a successful feature back at the same school despite being 5'7 160 lbs you start to wonder if in college, is size important at all? Former QB for K-State, Todd Reesing says it isn't important, but of course he's only 5'10 so you'd expect that.

Here's the thing, I'm all for a guy being 6'4"+ of breaking the mold. I think he would be great in nickle defense playing half or the middle of the field and breaking up jump balls and deep throws... but it's not me you have the argument with... it's history... and history has shown NO safeties (no, wait) no DBs, over 6'3 have been effective.

Comment

Yeah, 1 INT and 1 PD this year....a real ball hawk! Don't throw anything within 10 feet of him or he's gonna house it!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information