Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyron Smith, OT, USC

I couldn't find any thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

Can someone provide some info on USC OT Tyron Smith? He seems to be a very intriguing prospect, particularly in this OT class.

I know he played RT for the Trojans, but he seems to have the athleticism to play LT and from all reports seems to have decent strength and leverage.

what is he like as a prospect?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ht=tyron+smith

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ht=tyron+smith

Comment

Thanks for the help D unit

Comment

I like him a lot. He's obviously very athletic and pretty much looks like a tight end. You can read about that anywhere. Moves very well, quick feet, all that good stuff.

But his run blocking also looks excellent despite his size. He does a great job of getting his pad level low and getitng underneath defenders. He had a couple pancakes against Washington and consistently can drive defenders off the ball. He dominated Mason Foster.

He has a really good motor and his feet are always moving a hundred miles an hour.

Yeah, he's a smaller guy. I don't care. He's as good of a run blocker as a lot of the guys in this class.

I think he'll be an All-Star and wouldn't hesitate to put him as my #1 tackle.
        Go Steelers!
        Go Vandals!

Comment

Originally posted by Chidi29 View Post
          I think he'll be an All-Star and wouldn't hesitate to put him as my #1 tackle.
          dunk contest?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Couple updates on the guy:

- He has bulked up to 304 lbs.
            - Might not run the 40 in combine due to knee procedure.

If the 304 is legit, that's pretty impressive.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post

if he weighs in at 304 then his stock just rose

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Getting to 304 through mass training before the combine and maintaining 304 over the course of an NFL season are two completely different things.

I like him much more than I did Charles Brown last year. But I still think it will take a few seasons before he's anything other than a massive liability in the run game a la D'Brickashaw.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                  if he weighs in at 304 then his stock just rose
                  He wants to weigh in at 310, so I guess he's pretty close.

If he doesn't lose any of his athleticism and speed after gaining 30 lbs., I'd be thoroughly impressed.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                    if he weighs in at 304 then my dick just rose
                    Understatement.
                    I want a sig.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyLeggedWaistBender View Post
                      Understatement.
                      thou shall not fap

Sig by BK

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                        Getting to 304 through mass training before the combine and maintaining 304 over the course of an NFL season are two completely different things.

I like him much more than I did Charles Brown last year. But I still think it will take a few seasons before he's anything other than a massive liability in the run game a la D'Brickashaw.
                        Because of his weight, Tyron gets the tag as a finesse player but is actually a much better run blocker than he gets credit for. He has very good natural strength,gets consistent push in the run game and is more than just a positional blocker. He's also one of the best OT's at the second level I can remember in recent years. Now I'm not under the impression that he's going to overpower guys at the next level (especially when he drops back down to 285 as the season goes on) but he'll be a stronger, more physical run blocker than D'Brick was early on in his career.

Comment

Just where did you hear this? I'll believe it when I see it

Can he gain 30 pounds without losing some of quickness and agility? Is it all muscle or will he just trim down once the season begins like D'brickashaw did? Will his high metabolism keep him from keeping his weight high in the NFL? Regardless, I really can't wait to see him at the combine.

Comment

Not surprised at all, I've been saying he's guaranteed to be 300+ by the Combine.
                            Scott Wright, President
                            Draft Countdown.com
                            www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                            www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                              Not surprised at all, I've been saying he's guaranteed to be 300+ by the Combine.
                              Me too. I have been telling a buddy of mine this for 2 months. He had since early December (thanks to USC probation and no bowl game) to simply work on bulking up and getting stronger. He declared really early and presumably got a head start working on the things to make himself more favorable to NFL eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information