Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Regarding the Senior Bowl Observations...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding the Senior Bowl Observations...

Is it me, or is Scott Wright's observations way off to what I am listening to on the NFL Network or other reports on rotoworld.com and sources like that.

Like, I am reading your blog (Scott Wright) and you say Colin Kaepernick looks awful. Everything I am hearing, and from Mike Mayock is saying he might have really boosted his stock and possibly best QB here. I read reports where Locker is struggling in the pocket with accuracy. I also watched the practices on NFL Network and I've seen Kaepernick make some pretty nice throws and impressed me most out of the other QBs.

Also, I am hearing Greg Jones is performing very well, but won't be suited to play IlB. He could be a beast at WLB and similar to Sean Weatherspoon, who was taken by the Falcons in the 1st round last year.

I respect Scott Wright's draft analysts and scouting reports on players, but I am just confused on part of what he's seeing differently right now.

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
    Is it me, or is Scott Wright's observations way off to what I am listening to on the NFL Network or other reports on rotoworld.com and sources like that.

Like, I am reading your blog (Scott Wright) and you say Colin Kaepernick looks awful. Everything I am hearing, and from Mike Mayock is saying he might have really boosted his stock and possibly best QB here. I read reports where Locker is struggling in the pocket with accuracy. I also watched the practices on NFL Network and I've seen Kaepernick make some pretty nice throws and impressed me most out of the other QBs.

Also, I am hearing Greg Jones is performing very well, but won't be suited to play IlB. He could be a beast at WLB and similar to Sean Weatherspoon, who was taken by the Falcons in the 1st round last year.

I respect Scott Wright's draft analysts and scouting reports on players, but I am just confused on part of what he's seeing differently right now.

Welcome to the NFL. This is why teams pass on Aaron Rodgers and draft Alex Smith. Why a team like the Raiders pick Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, or Adrian Peterson. Every person has their OWN opinions and not everything is a consensus. Some people can look at a prospect and see a star in the making where others see him as just another guy who won't ever play. It's why 2 undrafted free agent rookies can outrun the top running backs drafted in the first round. It's not just what you see in a players, it's how you see them fitting into your team in the NFL.

Comment

I noted for most of the week that Locker was struggling with his accuracy...

As for Kaepernick, I don't know what people are seeing there. I stood there for 15 minutes today and watched him throw one bad ball after another with that sketchy throwing motion. Over heads, in the dirt, etc. I guarantee that kid won't be a successful NFL quarterback.
      Scott Wright, President
      Draft Countdown.com
      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Has Von Miller developed some pass rushing moves or is he still getting by with only the speed rush?

damn thought this was a ask scott questions thread

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
          I noted for most of the week that Locker was struggling with his accuracy...

As for Kaepernick, I don't know what people are seeing there. I stood there for 15 minutes today and watched him throw one bad ball after another with that sketchy throwing motion. Over heads, in the dirt, etc. I guarantee that kid won't be a successful NFL quarterback.
          Like I noted on the SB thread, I know people are piling on Locker for not throwing perfect pass after perfect pass and he's looked shaky in the pocket but you can't tell me in this day in and age where Tim Tebow comes in as a rookie and isn't a complete dumpster fire that there isn't enough to work with in Locker, or that he wouldn't be a respectable rookie QB. Maybe not a revelation like Sam Bradford but not Jimmy Clausen either.

Comment

Originally posted by JPP90 View Post
            Like I noted on the SB thread, I know people are piling on Locker for not throwing perfect pass after perfect pass and he's looked shaky in the pocket but you can't tell me in this day in and age where Tim Tebow comes in as a rookie and isn't a complete dumpster fire that there isn't enough to work with in Locker, or that he wouldn't be a respectable rookie QB. Maybe not a revelation like Sam Bradford but not Jimmy Clausen either.
            The best comparison for Locker in my opinion is Alex Smith. Locker might have a stronger arm, but the accuracy issues and mobility fit them perfectly in my opinion. I think Kaepernick is going to have an excellent game on Saturday and show he's the better senior QB.

Comment

Not all opinions are created equal, but at the end of the day that's all they are, opinions.

NFL scouting is more of an art than science IMO, especially when it comes to scouting QBs.

At least you know with Scott and Shane, when they give a report on a draft prospect, there's a reasoned thought process behind it.

Even if a scout's impression about a prospect turns out to be wrong in the long term, for me as a casual fan it's more important to know why someone thinks a certain way about a prospect and less so so if they're 100% right.

That said, I think Kaepernick owes Scott money or something cause he doesn't give the kid the slightest possibility of even making an NFL roster.

CK listens to all of this, and it only makes him stronger!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
                The best comparison for Locker in my opinion is Alex Smith. Locker might have a stronger arm, but the accuracy issues and mobility fit them perfectly in my opinion. I think Kaepernick is going to have an excellent game on Saturday and show he's the better senior QB.
                Its already too late for Alex Smith but again that comes down to placement. Smith has had it a lot rougher in SF than Rodgers had it GB. All the turnover and dysfunction there isn't conducive to a young QB. Same with Jason Campbell. On the other hand you take Sanchez...given a nice easy game-plan, insulated by not taking risks downfield and being given good players and smart coaching by Schottenheimer and he looks like a success. He wouldn't in Buffalo..Id put money on that. Rodgers goes to GB...solid coaching, watches a HOF QB for 3 years, the team builds a great offense and defense around him and he's a success. I'm not sold that Alex Smith would fail there, or that Rodgers would have succeeded in SF. I'm a believer in its not how high you go, its where you go. Ben Roethlisberger had it made from day 1 qyite honestly, and I knew that as soon as they announced his name.

Comment

Sadly there are signs of SF bringing back Alex Smith for another season .Looks like we may get Luck next year lol .

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    Not all opinions are created equal, but at the end of the day that's all they are, opinions.

NFL scouting is more of an art than science IMO, especially when it comes to scouting QBs.

At least you know with Scott and Shane, when they give a report on a draft prospect, there's a reasoned thought process behind it.

Even if a scout's impression about a prospect turns out to be wrong in the long term, for me as a casual fan it's more important to know why someone thinks a certain way about a prospect and less so so if they're 100% right.

That said, I think Kaepernick owes Scott money or something cause he doesn't give the kid the slightest possibility of even making an NFL roster.

This made me lol. Funny.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Muhahahahahaha!! Don't trust anybody from the NFL Network. They couldn't analyse a game without tripping over eachother with pure idiocy. Faulk especially...its like watching a baby attempt a free-throw.

Thanks God Mayock is there, but even he is starting to blow the ballsack of the prospects instead to throwing down the tough questions. He's still the best guy NFL Network by a long ***** country mile.
                      "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

This, exactly this.

When I see Kaepernick, I see a perfect prospect. Perfect size, great athleticism and an outstanding character. You don't see 6'6" QBs with the speed of a wide receiver and the intelligence of an NFL QB every day. And the guy made a pretty weak squad into a Top 15 team all by himself.
                        I couldn't even throw in a comparison for CK. The closest I'll be able to say would be a bigger and smarter Michael Vick, which is impressive.

Meanwhile, everybody is going on the nuts of Cam Newton, who is dumb as a door and has a character that is a time bomb ready to explode and Jake Locker, who had a terrible senior season and has really nothing that makes him a 1st round prospect right now.

Comment

Watch the practices and Scott is mainly right. When Mayock is talking he is talking more about Kaepernick's great talent but the reason Scott is knocking him is because of his throwing motion and accuracy and when Mayock gets finished with talking about his talent, he always mentions both the things Scott discusses.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                            This, exactly this.

When I see Kaepernick, I see a perfect prospect. Perfect size, great athleticism and an outstanding character. You don't see 6'6" QBs with the speed of a wide receiver and the intelligence of an NFL QB every day. And the guy made a pretty weak squad into a Top 15 team all by himself.
                            I couldn't even throw in a comparison for CK. The closest I'll be able to say would be a bigger and smarter Michael Vick, which is impressive.

Meanwhile, everybody is going on the nuts of Cam Newton, who is dumb as a door and has a character that is a time bomb ready to explode and Jake Locker, who had a terrible senior season and has really nothing that makes him a 1st round prospect right now.
                            Randall Cunningham... all the way down to the elongated delivery, playing college in a state of Nevada school, and his tall skinny build.

I wish NFLN hadn't been so crappy with their coverage because I've seen an average of 3 fhtows per QB the past couple of days and the 4 I saw the other day of CK, they were all on the money... I didn't get to see all of his other throws, however, and can only go on what the people that are there are telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by sportslover View Post
                              Watch the practices and Scott is mainly right. When Mayock is talking he is talking more about Kaepernick's great talent but the reason Scott is knocking him is because of his throwing motion and accuracy and when Mayock gets finished with talking about his talent, he always mentions both the things Scott discusses.
                              Interesting... so perhaps we've uncovered a new mystery.

Hannah Montana=Miley Cyrus
                              Superman=Clark Kent
                              Mike Mayock=Scott Wright

Well, if this is the case. Scott, stop with all the incessant gabbing on the air, the constant ungoing interviews and commentary, and show the FREAKING practices! Your coverage is HORRIBLE!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information