Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain to Me Why Blaine Gabbert is a Consensus Top 10 Pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain to Me Why Blaine Gabbert is a Consensus Top 10 Pick?

1) Played in a spread offense. Minimal reads and progressions. Doesn't know how to read a defense.

2) Surprisingly quite inaccurate on short and deep patterns. His skill is in the intermediate game where he can just rear back and sling it, but throws that require more touch he struggles with.

3) Flawed release. Somewhat quick but looks like a windup. I think this leads to his spotty accuracy.

4) Does indeed have a plus, plus arm. Unfortunately, pure arm strength is STILL the most overrated attribute of a quarterback.

5) The hype machine was started by Todd McShay. Anyone remember him proclaiming Jevan Snead a top 5 quarterback?

I've watched 6 games of this guy all his junior year and I see a 4th round quarterback with some tools that MIGHT develop. There are a plethora of QB's I grade higher than him(Stanzi, Dalton, Devlin, Mallett, Locker) yet this guy has everyone hanging on his jockstrap. Why is this?

I think that part of it is that he's one of the few QBs in this draft class with elite intangibles and work ethic, and he has that in addition to copious raw talent.

All he's missing as a top tier QB prospect is polish and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
      I think that part of it is that he's one of the few QBs in this draft class with elite intangibles and work ethic, and he has that in addition to copious raw talent.

All he's missing as a top tier QB prospect is polish and experience.
      When was the last time a QB that only had the arm strength skill, while missing the pocket presence, release, accuracy, and decision making attributes made for a successful quarterback?

Comment

No, I really don't think anyone can to be honest. A lot of people are really perplexed by this one too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Rumor has it some top 5 team claims to love him which is why McShay is so high on him. (and then everyone basically copied McShay)

Just a rumor that is being spread though.

Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
          When was the last time a QB that only had the arm strength skill, while missing the pocket presence, release, accuracy, and decision making attributes made for a successful quarterback?
          Derek Anderson, 2007.

edit: I'm just shocked that he's considered top 10 after such a bad year (16 TDs, <7 ypa, and <65% comp in a spread offense is pathetic). I know he has tools. He just doesn't seem to have some of the important ones.
          Last edited by descendency; 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
            No, I really don't think anyone can to be honest. A lot of people are really perplexed by this one too.
            Count me in that group, I really do not understand it, and find it perplexing myself.
            "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

Never saw an elite QB prospect in Gabbert on game days for Mizzou. He wasn't a JAG in college but he's not a top 10 prospect IMO either.

With the hard salary cap for rookies coming to the NFL, I imagine more teams reaching on guys they like, even if being picked in the top 20 isn't their real value because the financial hit is less burdensome.

Comment

the guy looks about as bad under pressure as clausen did as a panther. it's not going to get any easier.

count me in among those who have no idea why people would have him ranked so highly.

people go on and on about newton not being worth an early first round pick because he is a 3 year project or whatever, but i can honestly say the same thing about yo gabba gabbert. he has a lot to learn. he isn't like the guys of recent years who have been able to come in as a rookie and play respectably.

i would like to see more in depth analysis from scott wright about this guy and see why he thinks he is so good.

at best he is the turd that floats to the top in this weak QB class.

Comment

The team that drafts him will face a future of agony.... especially when they look back at all the other players they passed on.

Comment

Does he have an amazing work ethic or something?

I think its just hype he ends up going in the 15-30 range.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                      Does he have an amazing work ethic or something?

I think its just hype he ends up going in the 15-30 range.
                      clausen has an amazing work ethic as well. doesn't mean he'll amount to much.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                        Rumor has it some top 5 team claims to love him which is why McShay is so high on him. (and then everyone basically copied McShay)

Just a rumor that is being spread though.

Derek Anderson, 2007.

edit: I'm just shocked that he's considered top 10 after such a bad year (16 TDs, <7 ypa, and <65% comp in a spread offense is pathetic). I know he has tools. He just doesn't seem to have some of the important ones.
                        I don't know if it was on this forum or another but I was saying back in October/November that Gabbert was a guy to keep an eye on and that he could get into the 1st round.

I doubt McShay copied me... but it probably wouldn't hurt him if he did.

Comment

Of course I did say that he could be a 1st rounder... not exactly saying he was top 5 worthy.

Comment

He's just benefiting from the lack of attention he's gotten this year compared to all the attention the other QBs have gotten. It amazes me how stupid NFL scouts can be; it's such a simple pattern to recognize, and it's how JaMarcus Russells and Kyler Bollers happen. I don't hate Gabbert or anything but he is absolutely not better than Newton or Locker.

Comment

I don't know about anybody being definitely better than anybody. I think we have four definite 1st rounders in this draft and I think like in 1999, I don't know how you would separate them. I wouldn't necssarily put a project like Newton ahead of Gabbert, nor a guy with accuracy issues ahead of him, or a guy with lead feet like Mallett, but on the other hand there are flaws on Gabbert as well that the other QBs don't have.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information