Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Prospects NFL Comparison

Hey Everybody,

I've been a long time lurker on this board, but just finally decided to set up an account. My question is among the top QB's in this draft, who would their closest NFL comparison be. By this I mean Gabbert, Locker, Newton, Mallet. If you have a strong comparison about any of the other QBs, feel free to include those as well.

Thanks in advance

Blaine Gabbert - Tim Couch

Ryan Mallett - Jim Druckenmiller

Jake Locker - Heath Shuler

Cam Newton - Daunte Culpepper

Colin Kaepernick - Alex Smith

Comment

I see a lot of Cutler in Gabbert. Poor mechanics, relies on arm strength, can move and make any throw in the books. At best, Newton reminds me a bit of a faster / less accurate Ben Roethlisberger, but there's not really a player like Newton in the league right now. As far as Locker goes, I'll say Vince Young; much more natural of a runner than a passer, but Locker has more physical tools than Young did. Mallett is very much like Derek Anderson.

Comment

Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post

I gotta say you are so far off on all of these except Newton. That is an interesting one and I like it.

You realize that Druckenmiller was more of an athlete playing QB. Tough, a runner, not a great thrower. And Heath Shuler wasn't a great runner. And Tim Couch had a lollipop arm.

Mallett-Drew Bledsoe

Jake Locker-Akili Smith

Cam Newton-Daunte Culpepper (like it so much I'm stealing it)

Blaine Gabbert-Josh Freeman (only a tad smaller and not quite as athletic)

Colin Kaepernick-Randall Cunningham

Ricky Stanzi-Brady Quinn

Andy Dalton-Brian Griese

Christian Ponder-Brian Brohm

Comment

Ryan Mallett - Derek Anderson
          Blaine Gabbert - Matt Leinart
          Cam Newton - JaMarcus Russell with turbo (not a good one though)
          Jake Locker - Troy Smith
          Ricky Stanzi - Tom Brady (Pre-breakthrough)
          Andy Dalton - Matt Ryan
          Colin Kaepernick - DATABASE_ERROR_NO_POSSIBLE_COMPARISON;TOO_MUCH_AWE SOMENESS

Comment

Seems like everyone is just throwing out random names just cause one aspect of their game stands out more to the poster.

Comment

Jake Locker - Jay Cutler
              Blaine Gabbert - Joe Flacco
              Cam Newton - Daunte Culpepper(been sayin it for a while)
              Ryan Mallett - Derek Anderson(hadn't found one till i saw this thread, liked this comparison)

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post
                I gotta say you are so far off on all of these except Newton. That is an interesting one and I like it.

You realize that Druckenmiller was more of an athlete playing QB. Tough, a runner, not a great thrower. And Heath Shuler wasn't a great runner. And Tim Couch had a lollipop arm.

Mallett-Drew Bledsoe

Jake Locker-Akili Smith

Ricky Stanzi-Brady Quinn

Andy Dalton-Brian Griese

Stanzi is not Brady Quinn...His accuracy and release blow Quinn's out of the water.

I'd go with this:

Cam Newton-Vince Young
                Ryan Mallett-Jay Cutler
                Blaine Gabbert-Alex Smith
                Ricky Stanzi-Tom Brady
                Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                  Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco
                  besides that they went to Delaware, I dont see the comparison.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    Same lightning quick release, played in same offense, same uncanny accuracy....Take a look at some video on Flacco in Delaware and you'd see the similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by JHL6719 View Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this was meant as a joke. I will then surmise that a whole lot of people didn't get it.

Off-topic, does anyone remember how the 1999 draft was supposed to be the "Year of the Quarterback"? (I mean, I don't, because I was a kid and I wasn't into the draft, but it's fun to look back on that year anyway.) Five quarterbacks in the first round alone.

Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown - these were the names and faces that revolutionized the NFL of the new millennium, with an astounding zero Super Bowl wins among them.

2002 was a great draft for QBs as well - 15 total, 3 in the first: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey. The only relevant QB to come out of this draft was David Garrard.

(edit)
                      Also, Jake Locker is clearly Ryan Leaf. That way, the Wazzu fans will be able to mock U-Dub with equal ferocity.

Comment

Originally posted by brasho View Post

Mallett-Drew Bledsoe

Jake Locker-Akili Smith

Ricky Stanzi-Brady Quinn

Andy Dalton-Brian Griese

Right on the mark with Kaepernick/Cunningham.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          Agreed, they are nowhere near the same. Devlin has nowhere near the arm, or the size of Flacco.

Devlin is not even close to Flacco's level.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

I think Mallett is somewhere between Flacco and Bledsoe , as a giant sized QB with a rocket arm.

There isn't really a comparison for Newton. He's a better passer than Vince Young, but a much better runner than Culpepper, McNabb... etc.

it's late... i'm tired.. that's all for now.

Comment

Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                              Agreed, they are nowhere near the same. Devlin has nowhere near the arm, or the size of Flacco.

Devlin is not even close to Flacco's level.
                              He has less of an arm but the release is spot on with Flacco's. I think it has something to do with their QB coach. The deadly accuracy is there as well. Flacco was probably a better athlete though.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information