Maryland WR Torrey Smith - Player Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland WR Torrey Smith - Player Comparison

The more I look at Torrey Smith the more I am realizing that he is unique in this draft class.

In this draft that seems to feature physical monsters [Green, Jones, Baldwin] and undersized speed guys [Jerrigan, Young] he seems to be directly in the middle.

What are the breakdowns of his ability?

What current NFL player would you compare him to?

Roddy White comes to mind.

Comment

I just want to add that Green is not a "physical monster." I've stood right next to him. His size will not blow you away or anything. I'm guessing he'll measure 6'3 210 at the combine.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
        I just want to add that Green is not a "physical monster." I've stood right next to him. His size will not blow you away or anything. I'm guessing he'll measure 6'3 210 at the combine.
        6'3 210 is pretty big for a receiver, but I do get what you're saying. Being a fellow Athenian, I've had the chance to stand beside A.J. Green and he is incredibly lanky looking. I don't doubt he'll weigh in at 210, but I do have to wonder where it's hiding. I'm 6'1 225, and I look like an obese man compared to him, but I probably do have a bit more body fat than he does.

As for Torrey Smith, I think Roddy White is a great comparison. They do a lot of things very similarly, especially their reliance on body catches. Not to mention their route running ability is similar in many ways also. I'd say Torrey Smith is a bit quicker though.

Comment

I don't think he's the physical presence White is on the field. Roddy is an animal with the ball in his hands and fighting for it. I'm not sure Smith is like that presently or at the next level.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I didn't see hardly any downfield routes in his game tapes on youtube. I would stay away from him because I like polished receivers, but he does have upside.

Comment

Reggie Brown.

I'm not a fan of Smith, I don't think he's gonna be a good player
              Sheldon Brown: Will deflect passes for money to feed family

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                I don't think he's the physical presence White is on the field. Roddy is an animal with the ball in his hands and fighting for it. I'm not sure Smith is like that presently or at the next level.
                Yea, physically the upside is ridiculous and very White-esque, but White is a very strange player...there's not many guys like him...I like Smith though and I think he's at least a 2nd round WR.

Comment

I think Torrey Smith has a chance to put up the fastest 40 for WRs at the Combine.

I'd be really surprised if he doesn't clock in under 4.45, and I bet he expects to break 4.4 flat.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                    I think Torrey Smith has a chance to put up the fastest 40 for WRs at the Combine.

I'd be really surprised if he doesn't clock in under 4.45, and I bet he expects to break 4.4 flat.
                    Faster than Jernigan?

Comment

Mr Smith had 14 catches 224 yards 4 receivingTDS vs Nc state. He also broke all of Devin Hester's kickoff return records.holds the ncaa record for return yards. All this while playing with a freshmen QB ,and in a pro offense. He is 6'1 207 pounds with LEGIT speed. If that doesn't impress you I don't know what will.He reminds me of Rody White, because his game is special incredible drive not a flashy attention seeking wr.He broke all the power lifting records for side outs at Maryland I think he benches like 320 + while running a sub 4.39/40.
                      Originally posted by broadstbullies View Post
                      Reggie Brown.

I'm not a fan of Smith, I don't think he's gonna be a good player
                      Last edited by REDSKINSWARRIOR82; 01-28-2011, 05:00 AM.

Comment

He is Terp that's what they do. Go to the combine and shut it down. His triangle numbers should be pretty impressive.
                        Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                        Faster than Jernigan?

Comment

Peerless Price.

Definitely don't see the Roddy White comparison.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Darrius Heyward-Bey. Same triangle numbers, same skillset, same school/coaching...

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                              Darrius Heyward-Bey. Same triangle numbers, same skillset, same school/coaching...
                              Last 2 season in College for both players..

Torrey Smith:
                              2010: 67 receptions 1,055 yards 12 TD
                              2009: 61 receptions 824 yards 5 TD

Darrius Heyward-Bey:
                              42 receptions 609 yards 5 TD
                              51 receptions 786 yards 3 TD

Torrey Smith is a way better prospect then Bey.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information