Ryan Kerrigan: 4-3? 3-4? A 'Tweener?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Kerrigan: 4-3? 3-4? A 'Tweener?

I really like Kerrigan, but what do you guys think is his best fit?

He weighed in at 255 in Mobile, and that's a little concerning to me. Usually the smaller DEs in a 4-3 have elite quickness and explosiveness.

He also hasn't had to demonstrate the ability to play in space and coverage ability that is looked for in a 3-4 OLB.

I've heard the Chris Long comparisons, but Long weighed in at 272 and was a better athlete overall.

What are your thoughts?

Aaron Kampmann weighs 260. and I think the similarities between the two are striking. now obviously nobody could predict Kampmann's success or else he wouldnt have been drafted so late. and I agree if you are drafting a guy top 15, youd like there to be some impressive athletic ability. but Kerrigan's production is hard to overlook.

at worst, I think you are going to get a guy who will be a solid football player that works his butt off, character guy, and a good teammate. at best I think you get Kampmann. compared against a lot of guys who are more boom/bust, i dont think Kerrigan is a half bad option.

Comment

Long was projected anywhere from a 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE, and 3-4 OLB. Allen Bailey is a comparison to Long. Kerrigan is simply a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. Nothing earth-shattering. Not sure what, exactly, is conerning to you about the Prince of Blades.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
        Long was projected anywhere from a 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE, and 3-4 OLB. Allen Bailey is a comparison to Long. Kerrigan is simply a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. Nothing earth-shattering. Not sure what, exactly, is conerning to you about the Prince of Blades.
        I see you what you did there...

Anywho, Kerrigan isn't quite what Chris Long was. He's a bit of a tweener but he has a great motor and will play well in either position.

Comment

He reminds me of Mike Vrabel. Good college production, ability to get to the passer and smart enough to drop into coverage when needed. Seems like a perfect fit for the Patriots and would be a huge upgrade over what they have there.

Comment

I never bought Chris Long comps. He's a completely different player and is by no means a lesser athlete. Low 4.7 40 most likely, which isn't bad at 255. Now elite, but his first step is really good at within 15 yards he's pretty special.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

3-4 OLB priorities:

1)Pass Rush ability
              2)Set the edge ability
              3)Pass Rush Ability
              4)Pass Rush ability

12) drop into coverage ability

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                3-4 OLB priorities:

1)Pass Rush ability
                2)Set the edge ability
                3)Pass Rush Ability
                4)Pass Rush ability

12) drop into coverage ability
                Pretty much. If you have a guy who can cover it's icing on the cake, but so many of these guys come out of college without experience playing coverage and it doesn't make them any less valuable players at the NFL level.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

He also hasn't had to demonstrate the ability to play in space and coverage ability that is looked for in a 3-4 OLB.
                  The same can be said for a big majority of the 3-4 OLB's in the league. It's usually considered a projection position.

Comment

Kerrigan's normal playing weight during his senior year was 265-268. There were reports to prepare for the senior bowl, he wanted to shed weight to make him more versatile and have teams look at him as both a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE.

If you're thinking he played this year at 255, you're wrong. It's just to attract interest from teams that run the 3-4 as well.

Comment

He could probably play 3-4 DE at 255-260. I don't think that Brett Keisel weighs much more than that and he plays 3-4 DE for the Steelers.

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
                        He could probably play 3-4 DE at 255-260. I don't think that Brett Keisel weighs much more than that and he plays 3-4 DE for the Steelers.
                        Why would you put one of the best pass rushers in the draft as a 3-4 DE where he won't actually rush the passer? Keisel is listed at 285 and built like a DT and would play there in a 4-3.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
                          Why would you put one of the best pass rushers in the draft as a 3-4 DE where he won't actually rush the passer? Keisel is listed at 285 and built like a DT and would play there in a 4-3.
                          Who's to say that 3-4 DEs can't rush the passer? Bruce Smith is the NFL's career leader in sacks and he played 3-4 DE exclusively throughout his career.

Comment

Who's to say that 3-4 DEs can't rush the passer? Bruce Smith is the NFL's career leader in sacks and he played 3-4 DE exclusively throughout his career.
                            He is the exception, not the rule. Wayne Martin of the formerly of the Saints was another exception... they don't come around very often/ The crazy thing about Bruce Smith is he was listed at 265 and I doubt he was much more than 250 for most of his career, especially late when he was tiny. He did kind of the Alan Page thing (where he ended up around 220 his last season playing with the Bears).

Anyway, 255 for a collegiate DE when he is as shredded as Kerrigan is no big deal at all. If he puts 10 lbs on he is perfect size as a RDE and 20 lbs would be fine as a LDE.

FYI, when Clay Matthews was weighed in at the combine he was 240... now I'm not suggesting that other guys are on Clay's training program (especially his LITTLE brother), but he probably weighs more than Kerrigan does right now.

Comment

Exception, not the rule. Different era too. In todays NFL, anything under 280 is considered undersized for a 3-4 DE and even that is a little conservative. I would take a guy who can play the gaps and defend the run at 3-4 DE over a sack artist every single time and the NFL agrees with me for the most part. Kerrigan is a pass rusher, a guy you want to see get 10+ sacks a year. Very rare you see a 3-4 DE do that. Even rarer that you see one ASKED to do that. There's not a team in the NFL who has Kerrigan on their board as a five technique. I can almost guarantee that.

Plus...this is pretty much a historically good draft for five techniques. Why take Kerrigan with the necessary draft pick to get him and ask him to play a position and a role completely dissimilar to the one he played in college? You could get a guy who is a pretty sure bet at that position in the second round onward. Wouldn't make a lick of sense. No sense in trying to reinvent both Kerrigan and the nature of the position.
                              Last edited by ElectricEye; 01-28-2011, 07:56 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information