Someone Please Explain the Akeem Ayers Love

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Please Explain the Akeem Ayers Love

Hi, I've watched a few UCLA games over the years and I'm struggling to understand what exactly Akeem Ayers does well enough to be a first round pick.

I do not see an NFL linebacker, let alone a first rounder. I'm ecstatic he's predicted to go so high, because that means a more talented prospect falls to NE (Cameron Jordan??? Robert Quinn???).
    **** her in da *****!

Basically, size/speed. It's all measurables with this guy. He's a 6'4" 250lb guy who is probably going to run a 4.5 40 and otherwise blow up the Combine.

He's this year's Aaron Curry - an elite measurables guy who played on a bad team who has no instincts for the game and no toughness. He'll be an average player, at best, in the NFL, just like Curry.

Comment

Eh, I thought Aaron Curry was 10 times more physical than Akeem Ayers.
      **** her in da *****!

Comment

I see where the love comes from. Size and speed are important and he has those two things. Really comes off soft and isn't the pass rusher he should be at that size either, although he wasn't asked to do it that often.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

It's unfortunate because when I first started watching Ayers closely, I was blown away. His athleticism is through the roof, as others have said. He's going to blow up the combine. He's extremely fluid in his motions, has sideline to sideline speed and is very natural in coverage. However, the more I watch the less I like him. He isn't a collision athlete, and he doesn't go downhill with force. He's not a 3-4 LB inside or outside: he isn't nearly violent enough for that. We actually had this discussion in IRC last night and his best fit is probably in a Cover 2, somewhere like Tampa where he won't be asked to fill gaps and can flow to the ball similar to the way he does at UCLA. He can set the edge but he does play too high for my liking and he'll miss some tackles due to a lack of aggressiveness. You can't deny that he's a playmaker though, and highly athletic guys with a knack for making impact plays tend to get drafted in the first round.
          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
          The APS is strong in this one.
          Originally posted by killxswitch
          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I agree that Curry was 10x more physical than Ayers. Ayers is more athletic though...

Comment

Bobby Carpenter 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                I do not see an NFL linebacker, let alone a first rounder. I'm ecstatic he's predicted to go so high, because that means a more talented prospect falls to NE (Cameron Jordan??? Robert Quinn???).
                If Quinn falls to #17, I will leave this board forever, for the happiness of every poster in this website.

Comment

Looks like Tarzan plays like JANE

Comment

As a Lion fan I support the topic of this thread.

Comment

Yeah I was seriously wondering why anyone would use a 3rd rounder on him after watching him let every single play come to him.

But oddly enough, a lot of plays do come right to him. Unfortunately, giving him solid "production." So we're going to hear a lot about that, too. But he sucks.
                      I want a sig.

Comment

I was wondering this too... good to know I haven't completely lost it yet.
                        Twitter

Comment

It's simple really. There are a few Youtube clips on him that aren't very favorable for him. It only shows a very small percentage of his game yet people use that to generalize their entire opinion of him. Fact is, 99.9% of the people on this forum have not broken down his career game film enough to get a proper read on him. He can pretty much blame Youtube for his lack of fandom. It explains why the real scouts are high on him while the common fan is not.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            It's simple really. There are a few Youtube clips on him that aren't very favorable for him. It only shows a very small percentage of his game yet people use that to generalize their entire opinion of him. Fact is, 99.9% of the people on this forum have not broken down his career game film enough to get a proper read on him. He can pretty much blame Youtube for his lack of fandom. It explains why the real scouts are high on him while the common fan is not.
                            You give scouts too much credit.

Comment

So he's Shawn Crable?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information